What can I do if guests flushed a rag down the toilet?

Bryce3
Level 1
McLean, VA

What can I do if guests flushed a rag down the toilet?

Sorry for the dumb question. We are new to hosting.

I just had to pay $200 for a plumber to repair a clogged drain. He pulled out a rag of some sort. Can I recover this money somehow? Can I retro actively tell Airbnb about this guest? What would you guys suggest.

Also, these guests took extra bedding out of the closets (our personal blanket) and gave it to their dogs. When we got back the blanket was covered in dog hair and smelled like a kennel. We allowed them to have dogs in the house (never again!) but didn't anticipate this!!!

Attached is a picture of our shower the first day we tried to use it after our guests left.20160810_002841.jpg

6 Replies 6
Lisa14
Level 3
Silver Spring, MD

Wow!!! Do you have a security deposit on your listing?? That normally will cover damages, but you still need to call customer service and let them know so they can communicate with the guest..
Guest don't like loosing their deposits..

We did have a security deposit, but it has been more than 48 hours since they checked out. (It took a day to find the problem, and another 2 days before the plumber could come)

Another dumb question. You mentioned calling customer service, but I can't find a number on the site, or a way to open a case. Do you have a link or a phone number!

Thanks for helping a noobie!

C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

@Bryce0, sorry for the bad guests. Many lessons learned here. Search this forum for numbers. There are long lists that have been posted.
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Bryce3, you should contact AirBnB.

You can reach them via the Help link at bottom of this page.

Or via Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/airbnb/?fref=ts

Or – if you have a Twitter account - try twitter@airbnbhelp. It’s said there’s a quick response.

More essential reading for hosts. Contains a link with several international phone numbers (‘How to contact AirBnB’).

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Regarding Contact numbers in the above link, I've twice recently had quick responses via the Netherlands phone number.

(Though oddly enough, the person to whom I spoke was actually in the US.)

Here’s the US number.

+1 (415) 800 5959

A toll-free number is 855 424 7262.

Please be sure to mention - concisely and neutrally - these guests' behaviour when you write a review. This is to warn other hosts.

Thanks for your help! I'll reach out.

Personally I would have a conversation with the guest and ask them why it happened and make sure it was the guest that did it.

I would then suggest that you half the cost. Things happen and I think that sorting it directly works.

I had a guest crack my shower tray in my shower and I did that with her. She was so kind and we came up with a solution.

Good luck!!!