What do you consider as over use of air-conditioning?

Answered!
Jan332
Level 1
Cairns, Australia

What do you consider as over use of air-conditioning?

I am interested in hearing about other host's experiences with air-conditioning. 

Each of my two guest rooms has ceiling fans and an air-conditioning unit in the room.  I have fans on all through the house, a lovely cool pool to jump into and pleasant breezes on the back deck.  Most of my guests use the entire house and make use of all of these alternatives to constant air conditioning use, but ..... what do I do about the ones that stay in their room with the air-con on all day, not even bothering to switch it off when they come out to prepare a meal? 

My assumption when I started Airbnb was that my guests would be tourists who are busy in the daytime exploring the region, and so would only be at home in the evening and early morning when it's cooler anyway.  How wrong I have been!   So what do I do?  Hold the remote and charge for aircon use?   Put up my room charges for summer to try to cover the costs?  Feeling stressed that with all the overheads, I'm not actually making any money right now.       

Jan

1 Best Answer
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Jan332 Hi Jan, there is a product available in Australia called airconoff. This turns off the aircon in 10 minutes if no movement is detected. You can also have an extra sensor that turns it off in 3 minutes if a monitored door or window is left open. It's brilliant. Stops the problem of aircon just being left on....It was wasy for the aircon guys to install and well worth it. Check it out. Cheers Gillian

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Victoria576
Level 3
Western Australia, Australia

I have the same problem and am in Scarborough, Western Australia. My Aircon units are new so 24 degrees is cold. BUT more often than not guests leave it on 18 degrees with the full fan going, even if they are out all day. I'm considering taking the remotes, because my price is low and keeps getting driven down by AirBnB. 

Cheryl187
Level 2
South Lake Tahoe, CA

My guests are always out of the room. I wonder why it is different there?  Is you place in a destination spot or a place to rest during one's travels?  It must be very hot. AirBnB gives so many opportunities for communication. Just tell them about your preferred usage. 

This is totally a losing battle for us.  We have a small lodge with nine bedrooms and we rent only to groups.  Someone in the group is always too hot, so they turn the air-conditioning on.  Another person is too cold and opens  up several windows or doors.  Or the kids are in and out all day long, often leaving the doors wide open for hours on end.  The person who is too hot then turns the temperature down to try to cool down even more.  And it's just the opposite in the winter with the heating.  No matter how many times we inform our customers, we awake the next morning to find the windows have been left open throughout the night because people are "too cold".  We'll be checking into this Aircon product one of the Australian hosts was mentioning.  Now if we could stop guests from putting laundry detergent in the dryer when they have a load of clothes to wash or keep their kids from jumping up and down on the hot tub cover as if it were a trampoline...