What do you message to encourage guests to write a (5 star) review?

Answered!
Alice425
Level 3
Arroyo Grande, CA

What do you message to encourage guests to write a (5 star) review?

I’m quite new to hosting and I’m beginning to appreciate that Airbnb rewards hosts for the percentage of guests that leave a review, besides the star rating of any reviews.  It seems to me that we can influence whether guests leave a review by writing a nice message to them on checkout.  

I think it is crass to ask for a 5 star review outright. Perhaps there is some other way to communicate the importance of it to the guests?  Also, what about the timing?  Do you “hit them up” on the day they leave?  Or wait a day?  

Thanks for for any Input!

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

For more information about reviews, please check our article on "Writing Reviews". 

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

76 Replies 76
Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I am of the opinion that if somebody didn't leave me a review they may be doing me a favor.  It's a possibility they simply weren't thrilled with their stay and decided rather then give me a 3 or 4 star review they simply would let it go and not say anything.  I hope that isn't the case as I strive to give a 5 star experience, but I realize you can't please everybody so I never ask for a review.  

Hi Ned and Laura,

In my limited experience, guests may not know about the review process.  I have had one guest meassage me about how perfect the place was for her stay, then proceed to not leave a review.  I hate to impose on the departed guest, but perhaps there is a nice way to let them know we are being judged on reviews.

All the best,

Alice

Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

On the morning of departure, I send the guest a message thanking them for their stay, reminding them of the checkout time, and I ask for a 5-star review in addition to any private feedback they have to offer so I can make things even better.

No one has ever expressed any concern and thus far I've received reviews from all of my guests (knock on wood!).   It's all in how you present the request!

Ellen33
Level 9
Assenede, Belgium

if there was no review from the guest it is unfortunate implied that the stay was terrible”.  

Why would that be the case?  Some people forget about it , but most people that didnt write a review dont want to leave one because they dont. That doesnt imply their stay was terrible.

And seriously will it happen that less then 50 percent would rate us?

Sam237
Level 2
Austin, TX

Honestly, just give the guest exceptional customer service. Be quick to answer questions, and ensure that the guest has everything he or she may need throughout the stay. 

If the guest has a memorable experience, the five star reviews will follow with having to ask for them. 

I have never asked for a 5 star review and 90% of my reviews are 5 star. The other 10% I use to understand what needs to be better, which helps continue receiving 5 star reviews. Hope this helps.

Same.  🙂

Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

I ask guests to share what they loved about their stay in a review so that future guests can get a better idea of our listing.  I also mention that we constantly strive to improve the guest experience and if they had any suggestions for improvement could they please message them to me.  It keeps the petty bs out of the actual review ("large, fluffy towels can be heavy when wet "..."a coffee bean grinder would have been nice"...."I wish walking sticks were provided"....etc)

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

I don't usually ask for reviews.... but I have found that lately if I get stars removed I ask the guests why.

I recently got taken down because it was raining. Seriously. I'm on an island and it can be sunny beach weather every day. I asked what I could have done to help the situation besides what I did, and they said it wasn't a review for you, it was a review about the weather.

That's great...but the weather doesn't have a listing on airbnb. The really need to explain to guests what it all means

This made me LOL... so true! Trip Advisor is king of the nonsense review, even worse than Airbnb. "The beach was too sandy!" "The off-strip hotel I booked in Las Vegas was too far from the strip!" "The downtown apartment I booked had traffic noise!" They should all be removed.

Swati3
Level 7
Bay Shore, NY

Pardon me for a long-ish response, but I am beginning to think Airbnb needs to take some of the onus for educating guests on how reviews work and what makes a fair review. I am curious to hear what others think about this and whether hosts should take this further with Airbnb.

I recently read an article about how the discrepancy between the way hosts and guests think of reviews causes hosts a lot of stress. Here is the article, I think its well worth the read and fairly accurate:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-hos...

I tend to think there are two issues with reviews:

a)  Ratings in general - Any time we are asked to review something we start over-thinking, over-analyzing and tried to be "dis-passionate".  This is proved to be true most commonly with test audience when they are asked to watch a film in order to leave a review. They suddenly become over-critical, and almost never enjoy the film as much as a regular viewer who watches for the sheer experience.  Unfortunately, not  much can  be done about this aspect of human pyschology. 

b)  Ratings by guests - Airbnb style of hosting where hosts also get to review guests is fairly new to the hospitality industry (or any industry for that matter). Guests are used to a world in which the reviewing was always one sided, consumers got to review what they consumed: hotel stay/item that they bought etc. This old style mentality is pervasive, and can sometimes lead to a sense of entitlement where guests presume THEIR review of a listing is the only thing that matters, and the hosts are the ONLY ones responsible for creating a stellar experience.  One can't blame the guests, afterall guests don't receive threatening emails  from Airbnb saying if they got 4 star rating, Airbnb wont let them make another booking on their system!. So, in a way Airbnb has put the onus on hosts to be at their best but it is less stringent on the guests. Also it has put the entire onus of educating guests about reviews on the hosts. This is where I think Airbnb can and should support its hosts.

This is what Airbnb could do (just my thoughts, maybe others can chip in as well?)

a) Before check-in, Airbnb could educate Airbnb guests (espcially the first time Airbnb guests) that hosts also review guests and that Airbnb's entire model is based on two way trust and responsibility.  A pleasant experience at Airbnb is a shared experience. 

b) Airbnb could also give some guidance to guests regarding what I call "compassionate reviewing". Before check-in/ after check-in/ on review form, Airbnb could inform the guests that reviews affect hosts in many ways - such as in the search results, their host status etc. It could also educate guests on what makes a great review - for eg if the guest stayed at a small townhome, where the service was perfect & the host did whatever they could to make their stay comfortable, then guests should give the rating based on that particualr experience instead of comparing their experience with their last stay at the Ritz Carlon because that won't be fair! 

c) Airbnb should not allow the rating for location to affect any statuses like super host, search results etc. as hosts have no control over their location and guests know nearly exacly where they are going to stay  even before they book (on that note why is location even reviewed, reviews should be for things that are unknown before the stay!)  Either way I am unsure if Airbnb takes the location review into account in any manner.  Maybe someone else knows?

If Airbnb did some or all of the above (it shouldn't be difficult), it would do it's bit in educating guests about reviews, and reduce the discomfort and down right stress on the hosts about bending over  backwards to get "5 star reviews", because "4 star reviews" are actually bad! 

I am curious what other people think about all this?

Swati 

@Swati3

I actually have that forbes article printed out and included in my information & house rules binder for guests 🙂

Swati, This is an excellent post and I was thinking similar. What the rating scale fails to recognize are old building and what the translates to in ratings.  Our  rental property is a very rustic and old cottage.  It is not new by any stretch but people drop ratings because it is old and rustic. I am very clear with the descriptions that it is old and rustic.  It is also in the middle of the forest, on a lake, secluded. So bugs will get through the screens, die under lamps or survive and crawl around.  The rating scale does not fairly allow for people to explain that though the cottage was as clean as clean could be, they were distracted by the age of the building; peeling paint, old look, rickety nature .  It's rustic! So I don't always get 5 stars for cleanliness. Even if I bleached the hell out of it and no dirt or dust in sight, I could get 4 stars because it will never look like a NEW CLEAN cottage. It will always look OLD . I don't ever ask for reviews. I don't always get them. Maybe I will try some of the above suggestions. Not sure. Do I actually even care that much? I have one property, it sells out every year and every year I raise the rental amount. I guess it doesn't matter to me because I am confident it will rent given the quality of the reviews I have. I also renovated my bathroom which was the source of most of the lost stars. Now that I have a beautiful bathroom, ratings have improved.  All in all, people to understand how to review "OLD".  The system needs to ask first a series of questions to determine if the building is old or new . This does matter!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Swati3    I think all hosts would agree with you and this has been discussed at length on this forum. It is apparent that Airbnb has no interest in educating guests nor listening to hosts on this issue. They actually lie to the guests, telling them that 4* means that the listing met their expectations and that 4* means good. Then they turn around and threaten hosts for anything less than 5*s. So the deception seems to me to be intentional.

@Sarah977 - a few minutes ago I made a new thread called "Hosts need Airbnb support with 'Compassionate Review Guidelines" for guests, and listed it here : https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Hosts-need-Airbnb-support-with-Compassionate-Review-Guid...

I immediately saw one person viewing it and withing a couple minutes, my thread was closed, so one could like it or respond to it, and the tag "reviews" was removed from it! If you click on the link you will see what I mean (my original post can be seen if you click "Show Original Thread")

I am stumped. Really? Airbnb is actively clamping down requests and discussions in its host community? This is crazy.

Wowl I  am stumped. it's one thing to not listen to community feedback and to not agree wiith the enhancements. Its totally another to actually clamp down on discussion in the community forum...!!