What do you put in the fridge for guests?

What do you put in the fridge for guests?

Hello there. I’m a new host and have been reading all the informative posts on here. My space is a private guest house with kitchen. I have a mini fridge in the space that I put waters in.

Are there any other must haves I should put in there? I leave snacks on the table, but wanted to know if others have had good feedback on other things. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

-Dane’lle 

176 Replies 176
Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

It depends on what sort of price point you are offering. If your space costs 3-figures per night, then providing more "goodies" will help you in the "value" rating.  If your space is only like $40, then I wouldn't provide anything and emphasise your space as an "economy" space for the budget conscious.

My suite averages about $68-72 per night after fees for up to 2 guests. 

I provide the following:
1 bottled water per guest. (cost about $0.50/bottle) I accept up to 3 guests with an extra charge for the 3rd guest.
A small assortment of drink mixes for the bottled waters. (They come in boxes of 10 for $1.00) and I put out 1-2 of each flavor depending upon how many people are staying. So I put out 6 flavor packets total - $0.60.
I put out a small pitcher of cream for coffee in the fridge. Perhaps $0.25-$0.40 worth depending upon the number of guests.
I have a Brita water filter system so guests can refill their bottled waters.

I also provide a continental breakfast: 1 piece of fruit per guest; 2 muffins per guest (about $.75 each), 1 packet of oatmeal per guest (bought in bulk at Costco), 1 k-cup of coffee per guest (bought in bulk at Costco) and 1 tea bag per guest (I have so many tea bags I just want to get rid of them). 

So if I have 2 guests for 1 night, my "goodies" cost me about $7.00. I am not concerned if the guest likes or does not like a flavor. I made the effort.  I did have one guest request yogurt instead of muffins in advance of their arrival. They wound up costing the same and I was happy to oblige.

Very detailed and informative. Thank you. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

My place is setup for 2 people. I usually put two waters, a little glass jug of half&half for coffee, and two local beers in the fridge (given no suspicion the guests are under 21) People are really appreciative of the beers.

Krystal16
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Casey-And-Dane-lle0

I leave the mini coffee creamers and mini coffee milk, however I have found very few actually use them, so its a waste of money.  If I have a guest who is staying for a week or more I will leave a litre of cream and milk in the fridge (if they check in on the weekend and I am able to get there, otherwise nothing) I also have a refillable egg carton which I try to refill once a week.  I don't mention these in the listing because I don't know if I will always have time to leave it for them.  I also leave granola bars out, usually enough for each guest plus 2 more.  Again this is only done when I am able to get over there, i have requested my cleaners to do it however they do as little as possible :-(.  

What you have to do is look at your price compare it to others and if you are way cheaper than the rest it doesnt make sense for you to leave these things out, I beleive alot of us hosts are wanting to get better reviews and we do as many extras as we can.  

Jesse114
Level 2
Bradenton, FL

We have provided breakfast items for our guest, this includes eggs, bagels, breakfast bars, butter, oil, jelly, peanut butter, breakfast cereals, milk, sugar or sugar substitute and coffee with cream.  My guests have always been appreciative, that way when they get in late they do not have to rush out for breakfast foods.

Lisa1395
Level 2
Prior Lake, MN

I am new to this platform but have rented my place for over 12 years. I always have the ‘basics’ non perishables on hand like sugar, flour, spices, oils, coffee, Teas & filters. Yes guests may not like your brand selection so your preference. I have filtered water available as don’t waste bottles, but if you have a small/mini fridge a few bottles even bedside are a nice touch!   In fridge, I do have basics that don’t feel guests need to go out & buy like ketchup, mustard, mayo & a salad dressing. But caution about leaving milk and such unless brand new because as a guest I would never use anything that’s been opened already so wasteful. (That’s just me as a frequent traveler as I don’t know where that milk has been or if someone drank out of it or is bad—so I’d dump it out if I found an open container. Just saying... 🙂

In addition to coffee, tea, water, cooking oil, salt&pepper, we usually have a few cans of soda and/or a few juice boxes, a couple bags of single serve trail mix, and some sort of chips or crackers or cookies. 

We also USUALLY have frozen dumplings, frozen pizza, instant cup soup and instant noodles - which would take 5~10 mins to prepare. It's case by case, and technically we don't provide meals but if the guest seems hungry we let them know there are a few other things available. Most of our guests arrive after a 12+ hr international flight, so I think they appreciate not having to go grocery shopping the day of arrival. One thing is that we usually don't offer anything 'fresh' like milk, eggs, or fruit. 

Marian65
Level 3
Villa Gesell, Argentina

If I receive a group of friends I leave a Fernet Branca which is a popular drink in my country and a welcome note. I also leave condiments, tea, coffee, milk, sugar and muffins sometimes more stuff like eggs, ham, beer. It depends on the length of stay.

I leave a bottle of wine for couples then tea, coffee, sugar, condiments.

If a guest booked for just a weekend I leave a fizzy drink, milk, coffee, sugar and muffins.

Carmine22
Level 2
Brampton, Canada

I am new to hosting, and I have found that by stocking up the fridge to what a continental breakfast offers is satisfactory. Then upon arrival telling guests 'although I don't have much in the fridge you are welcome to help yourself to whatever I have'. This display of generosi is usually returned by finding a bunch of left behind groceries that are totally good. Thus cutting back on my trips to the grocery store.

This is what I found that has happened in my situation during my initial 6 weeks of hosting 14 stays.

@Carmine22  I've found the same. I don't provide breakfast or any meals at all, but when my guests arrive and I know they've just come off a long flight, as most of them have, I always offer them a snack, cold drinks and coffee in the morning. They come back to the house the day after their arrival with groceries and more often than not they buy more than they consume in the course of their stay. And many have bought and left me a whole bag of coffee, even though I tell them the morning coffees are on the house.

Fernando648
Level 2
Mexico City, Mexico

Es la primera vez que alojare a visitantes (son Candeinses), mi idea Basica es proporcionarles Cafe y Te, por la mañanas (no incluyo alimentos en mi anuncio solo la alcaba), que sugerencia seria buenas y prácticas para atenderlos ?, estoy en CDMX.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I have a guest suite (no shared space) but for what it's worth I fill the ice trays with water and I store the coffee creamer in the frig. That's it! It's not my job to feed guests, especially when I'm about $50 cheaper than cheap hotels in the area. I know of no hotel that feeds guests. I have too much of a tight bottom line to even provide water. People tend to be very particular about their bottled water anyway.

I think a lot of these ideas wander off from thee originnal Airbnb idea. Then again I only rent out 2 bedrooms in my house and guests are well one to make themselves a cuppa and use the kitchen at their convenience.  I otherwise stick with basics.... Provide a good night's rest, good hygiene facility and nobody has to leave the house hungry in the morning as I provide a decent breakfast included in their stay. Will soon have a self contained studio apparent for rent as well and would only put essentials in kitchen /fridge..coffee/tea, salt pepper/milk. Everything else would be at additional cost to the guest and only if requested by guests. Would def not provide alcoholic drinks as you need a license in this. Ountry to sell it. I think if you inform your guests honestly what to expect there will never be a problem.

HI Rudy,

thanks for reminding me of original airbnb idea!

I think sometimes i get a bit carried away and try to provode more than is usual.

Altho when an international guest arrives on late flight I do provide a bit extra, and tell them this. 

Recently tho i had a guest who was there from 10 pm , stayed two nights left 5 am two days later. When he arrived, there was a new unopened packet of muesli and a new container of jam .. (as well as the usual condimenrts oat milk (i ask Guests their milk preference) a loaf of bread, tomatos, chutney, 2 eggs, butter jams vegemite (it's an Australian spread!)  and when i was preparing for next Guest, i saw no muesli and jam also gone..i texted him asked where they were, and he said " i ate heaps but took  those...do you want them dropped back...sorry. "

I said thanks for apology, and no don;t worry re dropping back, but food is for GUests to have while here, not take away, and maybe i wasn't clear enough in my description or maybe i need a note to say "welcome to use food but please dont take away " or something like that. 

I was annoyed with myself later  for texting him, but think food is provided for while Guest is there, NOT to take away.  I would never take anything provided, just use while there. 

I keep my price modest ($60 per night) no service or cleaning fee .  Which is slightly less than other of similar type in area.  And I do say there is muesli, fruit etc for first mornings breakfast, but after that there are lots of coffee shops nearbye.

What does everyone think? Was I too picky? Do i confuse Guests? 

I gave him a good review as he was a lovely Guest otherwise, I think that made me even more surprised, that he would take stuff, Any thoughts anyone? 

@Jan209  As reported on these forums, some guests help themselves to everything that you leave available. Some may simply think that if it is left there, that means it is all for them, some are just greedy and cheap and will walk off with the 8 rolls of toilet paper and a whole flat of water that they found in the cupboard after a 1 night stay. 

What I'd suggest is that you leave out enough of what you provide for the length of stay. Instead of leaving a whole bag of muesli, for instance, leave a sufficient amount in a jar for 2 days, if that is the booking length.

In the case you talk about above, I wouldn't have messaged the guest about some muesli and jam, but used the experience to do what I suggested, or put a nice framed note on the wall in the kitchen to the effect that the food provided is for guests to use during their stay, to please leave whatever they don't use, rather than take it away.

But as far as things like jam go- do you really leave a partially used jar of jam for the guests? I wouldn't touch such a thing as a guest- who knows if the last guest has stuck a knife in there that they just licked off? Better to put some in a small container, fresh for each guest.