What is the best time of the year to visit your city ? :)

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

What is the best time of the year to visit your city ? :)

IMPORTANT: February - March is winter in Zagreb , I'm not busy hosting and I don't like cold...  so, I am curious what your city / area offers at that time of the year?  🙂

The best time to visit Zagreb is from Jun - October...... and then again in December .

FROM JUNE TO OCTOBER there are numerous street festivals , open air concerts, fairs and events on the streets and parks in the city center . And of course, city is full of cafes and restaurants with open terraces where people enjoy dinking, eating and hang up with friends. It is a lifestyle here 🙂 To get a better picture of what is going on , you can visit infozagreb dot hr/events  , the official web site.

DECEMBER - Advent in Zagreb begins at December 2nd and lasts until January 7th. For 2 years in a row it is the best destination for this time of the year according to Lonely planet.  The whole city center is illuminated , decorated and smells of hot wine, fine pastry and hot dogs. It's really a great Christmas vibe. One of most beautiful parks in the city center  become ice skate park, you can drive arround in Christmas tram and train  , listen concerts on different locations or shop presents at several Chistmas markets. (Average temperature at this time of the year is arround +5 C ) 

Preparations have already begun 2 weeks ago and the grand opening, when all lighs will be lit, is at December 2nd. To get a better picture of what is going on , you can visit adventzagreb dot com - the official Zagreb tourist website. So, hurry up, we still have few available days for you on the perfect location 🙂

18 Replies 18
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Branka-and-Silvia0. The tourist pattern for Krakow is more or less the same as for Zagreb - higher season from spring, summer - highest season (July-August is school holiday in Poland, July-September - university holiday). Then early autumn - not bad, but the weather unpredictable. Then Christmas markets in December. ANd New Year's Eve - according to booking.com's statistics, Krakow is booked 93% for that night. 

In addition to tourists arriving to do some sight-seeing, there are a lot of concerts, conventions and other events organised year round.

And finally so called long weekends - 1-3 May, Corpus Christi - changeable date depending on Easter.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great discussion @Branka-and-Silvia0

Personally, I like the Autumn months (September - October) here in the London. The weather is usually still quite pleasant and when you get sunshine it is just beautiful. The trees start to change colour and in London there are lots of really nice parks to enjoy and I like to walk along the river with a cup of tea! 🙂

This time of the year also kick starts many festivals like London Fashion Week, Design Week and new exhibitions, so if you like the Arts its a good time to visit. 

As with many cities, during the Summer months, many people who live here go away on holiday, but they are replaced by visitors, so it is always a busy city. What I like about London is, it is always easy to find your own places to enjoy away from the hussle and bussle of the main attractions and there are lots of things to do for free, such as visit Museums. 🙂

I've lived in London for almost 10 years and I am still discovering new things! 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 - Thank you for the topic.  It got me to really think about our town as a "destination" since most people come here for a reason, not vacation, and frankly, that's sort of a shame.  In Feb - March, we will get some rain and maybe some ice, but it's definitely not "winter" by your standards.  It will be in the 45-65F (7-18C) range and you will be able to walk comfortably as long as you have some gloves and a scarf because it's almost always sunny. But really, it never gets cold and almost never snows, so you can come in the winter to see a Blue Devils game or tour Duke University and not be uncomfortable but it can be a little drab with all the leaves off the trees and nothing in bloom.

It's probably the nicest late March - early July and then again October to January (it was 70F/21C here today).  Our summers get too hot and steamy for most folks (like @Jessica-and-Henry0) so the best time to be outside is then. In April everything comes to life and the fall everything turns beautiful colors.  We have a saved message that we send guests who want to know what to do while they're in town - It's long and I don't want to disrupt your thread by posting it here - but short answer: breweries, food, ballgames, Broadway shows, Southern history, live music, gardens, and people-watching.  Tell me what interests you and I'll point you to it here in Durham! 

I've been living in London since February 2015, and for me, the best time is late spring-early summer. It the time when nature awakens, it gets warm enough for the outdoor terraces and rooftop bars. It's also a nice time to do some weekend trips, so many natural parks to explore! 

Early autumn is also a nice time when tourist flocks starts thinning, and autumn colours and fogs make the city look so gloomy and so "london-ish" 🙂