What is the first thing you do as a guest?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What is the first thing you do as a guest?

Door.png

Hello everyone,

I know we like to talk about hosting quite a lot of the time, however this time I would like to turn the tables for this discussion. 🙂

I imagine that most of us have been on holiday before. Some more than others. Best case scenario, you travelled via Airbnb and had a nice stay with great memories.

Can you still remember what it was like as a guest? That moment when you arrived and entered the accommodation?

If so, what was the first thing you did as an Airbnb guest, or what do you normally do first when you arrive in your accommodation? Unpack your suitcases? Search for the wifi password? Or read about local attractions?

If I am staying in an entire listing, I like to have a look around and then read the welcome booklet if there is one. This way I can make sure I know everything I need to and see if there are any local tips for restaurants. 

What do you do? I look forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

43 Replies 43

@Lizzie Thanks for your comments - yes, I think that would be a good idea with guestbook - I had questions that a house manual or book would have been very helpful. Like where does the trash go?? She had to show me each and everything -BUT, she's been doing it 3 yrs now and I think she has her way - very German and so I felt best to leave it as it is. I have a business card with the front photo of my cottage and the link so it can be pulled up directly through Airbnb. And she had NOT looked at it during my 2 weeks stay - I was hoping we would talk about what I do as host BUT didn't seem to interest her much at all. Her her visiting - I don't think she's a traveler much.  Even superhost status I thought that would bring interest? nope  - I did give her some important feedback - about needed extra plugs or extension cord in the living room, and bedroom - she had never stayed there her self - I said I did stay in my Airbnb to experience what the guest experience and it is really insightful, I find. Otherwise, we will read or hear about what we might be missing or guest might truly need to have in our cottage. I checked out last night to be with my friend the final night and its now morning and I will fly home in a few hours. So I was glad to report LIVE from the Airbnb experience here in Germany.  p.s. I left behind the shampoo and bodywash for the next guest - she did like that. lol

link to my charming cottage! all the best and Happy Hosting, Clara

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18711133?s=51

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Lizzie we've stayed at one ABB and unfortunately the first order of business was finding every single window to be thrown open in order to dissipate the overpowering smell from air freshners

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no @Kelly149. You do need to be careful with air freshners, sometimes they can be a little overpowering. It is a good thing to thing about as a host, especially if the turnaround from one guest to the next is quite tight. 

I hope the smell mellowed a bit after a while.

What was the second thing you did after opening the windows? 🙂

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would rearrange the furniture and organise a Party.

David
Chad65
Level 2
Sinking Spring, PA

I have been doing this for a little over 6 months now so I am still new to this.   But, I think I’m doing ok.   I would love for anyone to give me even more pointers on what I could or should do to improve the guest experience.    Any comments would be welcomed.   

Having travelled first before hosting, each time we visited was a “first”! The very first thing I seem to notice in each of the Airbnb’s I stayed in was the smell! Perhaps my nose knows!! 😉

Over the years I have looked back with very fine memories of my actual first time and I was hesitant thinking I was the stranger when in fact was welcomed with arms open wide, a home away from home, comfy everything from fresh linens, a well stocked kitchen and awesome conversation. To this day I call my very first host my friend and have been back to that specific home many times!

You-House0
Level 3
Bangkok, Thailand

Since I'm usually traveling where I don't have a phone plan, WIFI! haha

But last fall when staying with my brother in Seatte, my sister in law drove down from Van Couver to visit and she and her family stayed in an Airbnb! Yay! 

First thing I did when I arrived in her Airbnb (an entire finished basement underneath the home of the hosts)?? 

Spy! I walked around reading every sign, taking photos of good ideas, reading welcome booklet! And I've found I have the same spy approach when I stay in hotels, too! Hotels have experienced everything we home hosts have ever seen and they've worked out systems to prevent/reduce problems. I love examining things and thinking about what problem led to them making this thing. 

Anyone else love spying like me?

- Robert-from-Detroit-but-living-in-Bangkok

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Whenever I can, I choose a listing for its location so the first thing I do is go to the windows to see MY view (whether it's an old city or village street, sea or distant mountains).  Then, like @Lizzie, I have a cup of tea and relax after my journey.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Like @Lawrence0, the first thing I do is talk to the host, since a place always takes their personality,  it doesn't matter what theirs is for I will adjust accordingly. Then the usual - WiFi password, check out bed & bathroom, unpack and be off.

But not before re-arranging the furniture, turn on the heater and/air conditioner and leave all the windows open, turn on the TV very loud, bother the host for information I could have easily obtained by reading, talk loudly on the phone so all could hear, slam all doors so they close properly, etc etc. 😉

@Fred13 you are a hoot!!! hahaha....thanks for the laugh Happy Hosting, Clara

😄

We better maintain a sense of humor in this endevour, Lord knows we will needed many, many times. 😉

Hello

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Aaron190,

I am not sure if this is your full answer, but you are right, the first thing would probably be to say 'hello'! hehe

What do you normally do after that? 🙂

--------------------

MaryBeth22
Level 4
Menomonie, WI

Much of what I have tried to accomplish as a host was based on several years of being an Airbnb guest--I tried to take the best of all I experienced and provide that to my own guests, now that I host.

As a guest, often I was so tired from traveling that all I wanted was to go in the room and get the Wifi password (so it's good to have that on a sheet of paper near the bed). I also often needed to charge several devices--phone, kindle, computer--so when I stayed in Mason City and saw how @Kent0 provided a 6-outlet electric strip, I was most pleased, and provide that in all my rooms. 

I didn't always know what hosts wanted me to do with linens/towels. Leaving that information in the room is good, too. For example, I ask my guests to NOT make their bed upon departure (I just have to take it apart and wash anyway), and to leave towels they used in the bathroom (unused in the bedroom).