What is the first thing you do as a guest?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What is the first thing you do as a guest?

Door.png

Hello everyone,

I know we like to talk about hosting quite a lot of the time, however this time I would like to turn the tables for this discussion. 🙂

I imagine that most of us have been on holiday before. Some more than others. Best case scenario, you travelled via Airbnb and had a nice stay with great memories.

Can you still remember what it was like as a guest? That moment when you arrived and entered the accommodation?

If so, what was the first thing you did as an Airbnb guest, or what do you normally do first when you arrive in your accommodation? Unpack your suitcases? Search for the wifi password? Or read about local attractions?

If I am staying in an entire listing, I like to have a look around and then read the welcome booklet if there is one. This way I can make sure I know everything I need to and see if there are any local tips for restaurants. 

What do you do? I look forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

43 Replies 43

@Lizzie

The overall comfort that will ensure a certain sleep quality.  If I cannot sleep well, my stay is ruined.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very true @Marit-Anne0. I have been very lucky, I can't think of any Airbnbs I have stayed in where the bed hasn't been really nice and comfy.

I am normally more of dulvet kind of person, probably because this is what I am use to, especially as at the moment it is Winter here in the UK. Do you have a preference over the bedding when you check it or doesn't this matter so much to you?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie

The bedding matters a lot of course and I prefer duvets Scandinavian style - one duvet for each person, even on a matrimonial bed.  Nice, fluffy, down duvets, that would be my preference and what I have in my homes and offer to my guests (with a syntetic backup for those who claim to be allergic).  Duvets are not the norm everywhere though and I even had some elderly Australians requesting blankets this summer (we hate duvets), and I had to say sorry, those I would have to import from France or somewhere. 

To my delight, my latest airbnb stay in Crete had duvets and I was thrilled.  

Platanias.jpg

My latest request is for those French bolster pillows - the traversin - I have been on-line shopping 🙂

Traversin.jpg

and no - not with the large 65 x 65 pillows please - we would like the 50 x70 pillows (well mine are standard Ikea 50 x 60, but that is a secret ! )

Elsa64
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@LizzieI like to look around first, the space and what I can use or acces to, then I  read the house manual or any info from my host, next I unpack my staff and  get confortable 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing this @Elsa64. 🙂 It sounds like you really like to relax and get to know the space when you arrive. Have you stayed in many different Airbnb or in general travel much?

--------------------

Elsa64
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@LizzieI travel alot for work and for pleasure because I love it. Normally I'm at home just 2 weeks per month, more or less; that's why I started to rent my place out with Airbnb.

I have been all aroud the world but still alot of places I haven't  visit yet, of course...

Normally I stay in Hotels, but since I'm a host, now I try to be a guest too.

I had great expeciences so far, meeting lovely people and staying in beautiful & charming places.

To stay in a private home is a totally different experience than to stay in a Hotel, You can see the place from a different view, you're not more just like another tourist, it's more like to feel at home, to experience the real life of local people, it's more like to see the soul of that place... and I love it   🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This sounds wonderful, @Elsa64. It is so nice to hear your passion for travel.

I wonder where your next travel experience will take you?! 🙂

--------------------

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It depends on the trip, @Lizzie. My favourite is when I (or we) get a chance to chat with the host first. Gives us a chance to learn more about them, the house, the neighbourhood. Then we stow our stuff and head out to do whatever brought us to town. 

When I am travelling for work, sometimes there is no host on site. In that case, if there is time, I have a cup of tea and look around. In one place there were so many rules posted that it was like going from exhibit to exhibit at a museum. I felt a bit sorry for the hosts, knowing that each rule had a story behind it...

Sometimes I am arriving very late (with the kind permission of the host). In those cases I tiptoe in, pat the head of the sleepy dog, go to bed. 

Thanks for the post. It is interesting to see the different responses. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Glad you like this post @Lawrene0, I agree it is really interesting to see what everyone does when they arrive. 

I really like that one of your favourite things is to talk to your host when you arrive. It is often so nice to just meet a new person and hear more about them and why they love the area that they are in. Perhap even more about the home. Plus, from one host to the other, you have a lot in common and it is always great to share experiences. 🙂

In general, do you prefer to stay with a host if you can or an entire listing or does it really depend on your visit?

--------------------

It does depend on the visit, but I think I prefer staying with a host, @Lizzie. The one time I had a bigger accommodation budget than usual I still chose a room in a host's home. A very nice home 🙂 

Annette158
Level 2
Moffat Beach, Australia

I dont need to meet the host but like to feel welcome and really its the little extras that count and im thrilled about-first have a look around,read the house manual,hopefully get some local tips...get the wifi code ..I love it if there is a local guidebook.We stayed in an apartmet in LA and there was a local walking guide to Hollywood...we did all of these walks and saw a side to LA that I had never seen before.I love quirky decor and dont want to stay in someplace that lacks a soul...so Airbnb is great for finding a place where you can live like a local.So please tell me about your local tips ! especially good coffee...

When you come off a big international flight(coming from Australia..everything is a huge flight)  it really is welcoming to be able to have a tea or a coffee,so please put some milk in the fridge...real milk not creamer or UHT !

If your host has gone the extra mile,you may find some other goodies and this is great-we stayed in an apartment in Cannes and the host had put some beautiful ,thoughtful food items in the fridge and a bottle of wine,I felt really welcome.On the other hand we have stayed in some that have absolutley NOTHING apart from McDonalds sugar,ketchup etc and in the house manual were advised that feel free to use anything during your stay but if you finish anything please replace it !hello..so I am going to use the last teaspoon of sugar ,then buy you a kilo ! really some things should be provided.

Now...dirty linen-yuck it makes you feel like you dont want to sleep in that bed and makes you wonder about the rest of the space.

Appliances not working..lamps,fans,dishwaher etc,a good host checks these things are in working order.

Kitchenware-no flimsy cutlery please...

Basically I like to feel like a local,welcomed...the little extras really do count to me.

As a guest, I personally wanted to explore and take pictures and try my best to make my trip a best memorable trip. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Annette158, this is a great insight into what you look for when you arrive. 

As a lover of tea, I have to say it is always a welcoming sight to see some milk and tea bags ready for me to tuck into upon arrival. 🙂 I stayed in a lovely Airbnb in Cornwall, UK last year and the host had kindly left us some homemade scones–they were absolutely delicious however, I have a feeling I put the jam and the cream on the wrong way around (a local custom)! 🙂

Do you think your experiences staying in other Airbnbs has helped you shape what little extras you put in your listing? 

--------------------

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Lizzie Hi - great question -- as I sit in a sweet Airbnb apartment in Germany - I have been here almost 2 weeks and it is a treat to experience how this host does here place and she lives right next to my apt. . I came to spend each day with my dearest friend that has been sick with Leukemia and since I lived here some years ago and learned german with this dear friend that is our language together and so I thought staying near her home would be wonderful. And it has been - my host made a wonderful fresh pound cake that was fabulous for me - "her american guest" -she was really proud.  Roses on the table, a basket of fruit, water, juice and there is everything I could imagine I need or want..........except not shampoo - I noticed it immediately as she showed me around and I asked - she offered to get it but I said not necessary - I just found it interesting - cause the liquid thing and travel - I first look around the place and decide where I will put my stuff and look for what I might need. The wifi was next and really important for contact with my home in Florida and my friend here -  The TV - which didn't work for a couple days but I didn't care. They had a storm the day before and it messed up the satillite on the roof.  There isn't a guest book and I gather she expects me to just ask about anything. So I have and she is really gracious. A lovely stay and the price was great and very near my friend. I am such a grateful Airbnb Superhost! Thanks for CC - its a terrific community indeed. All the best, Clara

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw this is absolutely lovely to hear @Clara116. It is quite rare here in the CC, that we hear from people live from they Airbnb stay and it is wonderful.

It is so nice to hear you could stay so close to your friend when visiting and you and your host sound like you are getting on extremely well. 🙂 It really sounds like the first impression was a great one. 

I wonder if perhaps your host might like to start a guest book? It may be something she has never thought on. 🙂

--------------------