What lighting to use?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What lighting to use?

copenhagen.jpg

The lighting used in your home can often make or break the mood of a room.

When you think about it, there are a lot of different types of lighting, from little lamps to great big ones, to ceiling lights and grand chandeliers to modestly shaped wall shades. Then there is natural light and the effect that might have on the room.

We have seen in our recent discussion on listing photography, how much lighting can impact a photo and attract a potential guest to book your listing.

With all these different things to consider, where do you start? What have you gone for in your listing?

It would be great to hear your lighting tips and feel free to share any photos you have.

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

79 Replies 79
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Bruce43!

It's good to see you again :-). 

Good luck next Thursday. 

-----

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Bruce43

OMG WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!

I have missed your witt and your good sense of judgement. I would love to hear how you and Sabrina are getting on, the CC has been the poorer for your absence.

Good luck with colonoscopy Bruce....I had this spot that I did not like to look of on my upper calf in a spot where you don't really see it routinely. It didn't look good to me, it appeared like all  those pictures you see at the doctors surgery waiting room which say...."If you see a spot like this make sure your insurance premium is paid up"....so I watched it for a week and it did seem to be getting bigger so I went in and had a biopsy done last Tuesday and my doctor rang me last night and said it was all clear, no cancer cells detected, it is just a little patch of Dermatitis!

I thanked her and I said 'that was a relief' and she said to me 'These things generally do turn out to be nothing. I would only find one in a hundred that would be malignant but you did the right thing getting it checked out'

So Bruce, your chances are good mate.

Welcome back and I now expect to see a lot more of your contributions!

Cheers.....Rob

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very cool @Kimberly54

No need to turn the bright lights on. 

Let there be 'less' light this time :-). 

-----

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Fred13, it's just another week...it's just another week...it's just another week...week...week...week...I can do this!

I wish I had a bigger window in my living room as it would make the place more enjoyable. I do have some small lights here and there to make the place look cosier, but like you said, lighting should be adjustable. 

-----

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Good mirror placement can add light, interest  and depth to a room. It could be used in partitioning such as mirror tiles, or also with glass bricks..... just a couple of options.

Ooh, good point.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi all @Quincy, @Fred13, @Robin4, (Hey, Q, can you guys make it so that we can multiple-select rather than one-by-one?)

Anyway, on lighting:  I have windows and open doors (which can be closed or shuttered), but I LOVE LED's, and dimmers that can be controlled.

I know this is WAY over the top TMI, but this is an article I wrote with HRH's (yes The Queen) lighting director about four years ago.  (I hope this will come through!)

https://foresternetwork.com/daily/energy/improved-energy-performance-equals-better-human-performance...

Choose your light (color, intensity, etc), a progressive dimmer if needed, and SAVE A BUNDLE OF MONEY. 

Let there be LIGHT!

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kimberly54

I've read the article—it's very interesting!

It must be great hearing so much in-depth information about the importance of lighting and techniques from the lighting director of HRH! Have you heard of the Phillips Hue lightbulbs? I'm currently looking to purchase a set of them. 

-----

Hi @Quincy, First, I'm impressed that you read it! 

It was an amazing topic to research, and the funniest thing to have accidentally stumbled on a 'side bar' on the internet about Buckingham Palace converting to LED.  So I called The Palace-yep, looked up the number and dialed direct.  And that's how I met Peter Byrne (and his title is many, many words longer than 'Director'... I believe it's spelled out in the article and I'm glad he's not on this site or I'd get a sure scolding!)

We worked together for about a month and became friends--to this day.  Isn't it amazing how things like this can happen?  (THIS is the kind of spirit AirBnB supports!) 

When I wrote the article, Phillips was VERY resistant to getting into the LED market and refused to be quoted on anything, so I had to quote someone else who said... whatever.  Literary politics.  I'm glad Phillips finally got on the wagon.  LEDs are simply the way to go and there is no excuse otherwise... except candles! 😉

Best always,

Kim
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy

I'm no expert on fancy lighting effects or technology. The lighting in my house is pretty straightforward and old fashioned: chandliers on the ceilings, some wall lights and floor and table lamps, mostly antique or in a vintage style. This is suits my personal style and also I think the period of my house, which is early Victorian. In one room, I have all all white chandlier and in another an all black one, which is a more contemporary twist on something traditional.

1st floor-1.jpg

However, in the entrance hall, where there are less period detials, I have gone for a more mid-century modern feel with '60s style chrome Sputnik lights. 

In one of the guest bedrooms, I put a purely decorative light on the wall. It looks like branches of cherry blossom but has little LEDs. It's quite romantic for couples 🙂 However, the **bleep** thing keeps falling off, which ain't so romantic.

The biggest statement is the chandelier in the living room, which annoyingly, the photographers never seem to get in the pictures, so you can't really see it on my listing. Here the ceilings are really high, so I went for an enormous 4ft chandelier (that's 4ft excluding the chain). When the builder saw it, he said, "Why did you buy that? You're not decorating Buckingham Palace." I don't care. Minimalism isn't my thing!

I also love candles, so have lots of those around the house, but I am a bit wary of having them in the guest rooms in case people leave them burning when they go out. In the garden, I have some solar powered little 'paper' lanterns, but I'd really like to add more lighting outide. I plan to weave lots of solar powered fairy lights into the greenery.

@Huma0 I also love candles for the light and ambience. But I am also a firefighter and know that untended candles can lead to house fires. So, I use LED candles. These are made of candle wax and have a little flame light that either flickers or remains steady. Colors are true. Totally awesome invention. I have three in my guest room with specific instructions not to burn real candles. No problems so far!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Oh, and there's also my little animal lamps, which seem to be very popular with guests. So far I only have a bunny and a bulldog, so I need to build up the collection!

bulldog.jpg

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Huma0

My mind is seriously getting more twisted....when you said you had a bunny lamp my immediate reaction flashed back to this which was around a decade or so ago!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cNHmfCVySA

Cheers.....Rob

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4

Ha, ha. I don't remember that ad at all. I guess we didn't get that here.

A long time ago, I read an article that said that, in advertising, the British use humour to sell a product, the Germans use science and technology and the French use sex. I wonder if that's still true.

My bunny is far more innocent. 

bunny crop.jpg

@Huma1, you (or the article) are close.  The French use love and beauty; the Italians use sex. 

Best,

Kim