What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158
Zoe105
Level 4
Puerto Rico

In my check list I have: Refrigerator: Coffee, milk, juice, jam, cheese, bread, butter, honey & sweeteners... For free breakfast.  I always give free coffee for my guests enough for everyday.  🙂  It's a matter of love. 

how much do you charge per night for a room with this included?

Have question I’m new at this had quests come last night never checked in with me is that a good sign?

About not meeting your guests...That outcome depends, mostly on the guest and how you set them up.

I live on site and always try to be there to meet my guests to offer a tour of the cottage, amenities and show where to find extras, and answer any questions.  I also try to check in before they leave.  I am also clear that if they prefer their privacy, I'm fine with that.

I've had some folks come in very late and leave while I was working outside and missed them completely with no negative effects and others who want to interact and share an evening glass or morning coffee.

I aim to have everything set up with a welcome note so they can be completely private if they want to be...or not.

We have lives as well and have things to do...

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

A smile even if one has had a grit one's teeth day.

Sandra283
Level 3
Hudson, FL

The top of my list is always AA and AAA batteries because of the remote control.

Cherlouise0
Level 2
Wick, United Kingdom

Fab idea (new here), my list is:

: strip bed 

: wash whites first 

: wash pillows 

: vacuum 

: sheet

: pillows

: duvet 

: wipe ever surface 

: arrange table

: clean wardrobe 

: final vacuum 

: vacuum all other rooms 

: clean bathroom 

: clean hallway 

: clean lounge 

: wash up

: sit down with a cup of coffee 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great list @Cherlouise0. I think after all that, I am very pleased you have the last point in there (maybe with a choccy biscuit too). 🙂 

Do you also have a set way of communicating with your guests before they arrive too?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ferns0
Level 3
Lynn, MA

In room

Strip Bed, throw linens and towels in wash, replace with clean ones

Water plants if needed  

wipe down surfaces

empty trash

replenish drinks and personal toiletries

vaccum

mop

Bathroom

Clean shower/tub

empty trash

clean sink/mirror

clean toilet

refill TP

Rest of home

Vacuum

do dishes

water plants (over 40 to tend to)

Place lockbox

Final walkthrough/inspection

Usually walk around with sticky lint roller to catch stray hairs/fuzz/whatever

Message guest to let them know room is ready and give them the lockbox code if I haven't already. I also send link to self check-in guide. 

Vacuum, mop (if needed)

Deb177
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Thanks for that, what does your self check in look like ?

Julie1076
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

1. Clean

2. Clean

3. Clean

4. Fresh Linens

5. Supply Bathroom

6. Provide check in instructions reminder

7. Tidy up cat messes after having already cleaned lol

Dwayne-And-Allison0
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

Hair today, gone tomorrow. One of my biggest pet peeves, literally and figuratively,  is pet and humN hair. These lists are terrific 8 would o my add that part of my process is to roll the sticky  lint roller made for floors, furniture, and drapes around the house prior to sweeping, vacuuming and then mopping. Finding Someone else’s hair when I am an Air B&B guest grosses me out,

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@LizzieIn addition to the check list for the interior of the home, our list includes the yard and patio.  We make sure the front steps are swept and mopped.  The patio gets lots of attention, making sure the cushions are in place at the table and all the plants are watered.   We fill the bird feeders so guests can enjoy the numerous feathered friends that frequent the property.   Summer time guests often want to BBQ, so we make sure the grill is clean and has a good supply of charcoal and other supplies. 

Gretchen51
Level 3
Cookeville, TN

I have a dry erase board on the fridge asking guests to leave me a note if they found anything amiss or if there was something they could have used.   Also like to leave some choclates out.  Also put some dixie cups in the bathroom so nothing more to wash or break in there.  And i left out a mason jar with a label "grease' incase someone wants to fry bacon, don't want that poured down the drain.  And a separate column on the list for kitchen items:  juice, cream, coffee, sugar, stevia, tea, fruit, oatmeal, cooking oil, butter.  My place has a full kitchen so I am guessing some choose it for the ability to cook.  Plus, of course,  the usual cleaning etc.  

Thanks for that, Gretchen.  I have a full apartment with all sorts of spices and cooking gear, but never considered the "grease" jar!