What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Shaunti0,

Initially it was quite a bit of work, to setup my own routines and ways of working (mainly because I had no good idea of what hosting really was all about).

Each host uses his/her own way of working and what suits his/her own situation/objectives best.

I decided to automate things to a certain extent. So upon booking I still have a bit of work to do, such as recording all relevant details in my own system.

But once that is done, the process more or less drives itself (as it will generate all my tailored base messages and tasks in my agenda, including the reminders for the review).

Being an active Airbnb host, and by setting myself high objectives. Does indeed mean I have to spend at least some time per day on this little business (for me that is usually the late evening hours).

Usually during low season: I spend most of my daily 'Airbnb' time on dealing with bookings and gathering additional details.

While in peak season: I spend most of my daily 'Airbnb' time on 'executing' the bookings.

And about once or twice a week (usually during the weekend), I spent a little more time on related subjects. Mainly improvements: Both in organization and in hardware.

Being present on this community is part of that.

Having the Airbnb App on my mobile, makes life so much easier (as commonly, it allows me to react pretty quickly).

And since I'm a so-called remote host, I'm forced to do things in a proper, solid and organized way. I.e.: I cannot just quickly drive by to deal with any type of issue.

Which means: Everything needs to be 'guest-proof'. I.e.: Well thought-off. Even the tiniest of things.

I´ve been doing this for about 3 years now. And I am pretty confident now, We’re pretty much in control of our little business. Although challenges are always lurking around the corner. And the only constant is change.

Whenever we are faced with an issue/challenge, we:

• Think
  • Select
  • Invest
  • Implement
  • Evaluate
  • Adapt
  • And possibly re-iterate

For your information, I have more than a full time job 🙂

And next to that, I try to keep our little Airbnb business running.

As it is certainly not enough to make a living 🙂

Very interesting read! Your scheme of running a Aibnb “franchise” certainly makes a worthwhile case study for an MBA programme of a world-class university. As someone mentioned along the way, you have to be bustling with Airbnb clientele, whereas my Airbnb operation is not so, but manage to give a good clean service to many satisfied guests, quite a number are repeat clients – local and international. My place is neither cheap nor exorbitantly expensive that keeps the place viably manageable.

I am a retired professional having worked for international institutions such as the United Nations and the World Bank. but proud to be doing Airbnb. I do play with computers all the time but however, I feel quite comfortable with Airbnb’s software that is pretty much userfriendly and adequate for the present time. In addition to Airbnb’s well laid out Calendar and its Dashboard, for ease of reference, I do maintain a hardcopy calendar with beautiful pictures given by my local hardware store which I use to record guest movements (like a bar chart) throughout the year so that my house help keeps it handy to programme his/her work schedule.            

well, it's down to if you enjoy people I think. I like taking care of folks so despite having three jobs, I adore being a host and giving my guests a relaxing sanctuary.  I am booked a lot, 280 days this year and my price is exceedingly reasonable for my city. I  can't imagine doing this unless you truly love people and meeting them. I'm very sad about the big companies taking over entire apartment complexes. It ruins the entire idea of Air b n b. 

An15
Level 2
Sri Lanka

Hi Lizzy, I too usually follow the departure check list like Cathie's  which I find opportunities for improvements from the dep check list. From this list All fall-in-line for the next arrival. From the welcome to a pleasant farewell. Fresh flowers, oil difuses in room & bathroom is refreshing. Cleanliness, upkeep and defect free will be well monitored. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw lovely! Thanks for sharing @An15

As we talk about it above, I wonder where do you get your flowers, do you normally buy these or grow them? 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thank you @Lizz0 .....I have few in my small garden, Other flowers like melia which placed on folded towels are plenty around in the area, can be plucked. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sounds lovely @An15, it's aways nice to have a splash of colour around the place.  It would be great to see any photos your have. 🙂 

--------------------

@Lizzie

My checklist:

Arrival schedules

Anti bacterial wipedown

Dustfree the entire apt, superclean environment

stock basics

stock essentials

fresh flowers in rooms

fresh fuit bowl

Every fabric item removed and freshly laundered

The entire apt smelling fresh, clean!

The use of the lists of tasks to be performed is of great help not only for hosting, but also for many activities of daily life, especially if we have a crazy hectic life.

The lists are recommended for those with little organizational abilities, but they are also helpful to those with managerial qualities. Take notes as soon as the brain reminds you of something to do: there’s not guarantee that the brain will repeat it again because it will be busy in different thoughts.

A checklist will facilitate a quick check of things to do and will give you the impression to have control of the house, making you very confident.

Make yourself strict, odious, rude. A meticulous mother-in-law who peeks behind the curtains the care and maintenance of the house by the young daughter-in-law, and all the worst that comes to mind.

Act as an investigator of the scientific police who sees everything and says nothing, but knows how to act accordingly. White gloves and Luminol. A crumb on the sofa. A hair on the sink. A dangerous spider web.

My checklist provided control of the bedside tables and the usability of the bathroom. Remote controls. All appliances. The operation of the stove and the refrigerator. Heating / cooling. Hot water. Fire extinguisher. Detergents. Internet connection. House lights.

The cups of coffee scattered everywhere and the souvenirs left by the dirty guests. Scraps of food in the fridge. Empty the trash. Junk bags.

An inspection tour will not be enough. Something always eludes you, but you will only find out after the arrival of the guests. Something that the previous guest has failed to tell you and has escaped you at check-out. Something that will turn you into a rag soaked in poison. Especially if it's eight o'clock on a Friday night. The leaking heating boiler. The broken sliding rail of the shower. The drain clogged by the long-haired guest. The handle of a locked door.

Becoming acquainted with the list, you will know immediately what is wrong, what should be arranged quickly before the arrival of new guests (for example a quick refresh of a kitchen wall used as a blackboard by a tender baby (Grrrr !!!).

Finally supply of toilet paper. Fresh linens and towels. No dried kitchen sponges. Water the plants. Booklet of use of the house (the general electrical panel is located ... .., the gas shut-off valve is located ............ .., the bulbs and the spare batteries are ......... .., useful numbers: in case of electric / water / gas faults you can contact: ............... ..; in case of problems with the alarm system, contact ................; in case of loss of the keys, contact ...............).

If you have a little time between a guest and another, this is a good opportunity to do some decluttering, to get rid of unecessary things.

The houses rented to tourists often become the collection point for old furniture, junk, shoddy knick-knacks migrated from the main building, as if those old, sad junk in a house designed to accommodate tourists become beautiful.

"Can I throw away this thing?" No, let's bring it to the AIRBNB attic!"

What is ugly is ugly everywhere and must be eliminated, not unnecessarily dragged to another place. Keep only what will leave a good memory of you.

Lighten up your home of the superfluous things accumulated over years of continuous and wild hosting.

A pan that was once non-stick. A pillow yellowed by time. Delete them forever from your rooms and from your heart. Choose the luxury of the little and the empty.

Maybe it's a rainy Sunday and you do not know what to do. Act alone, possibly in a "protected" atmosphere, without cell phones, messages or anything else that might disturb you. Avoid the music too. In fact, this operation of detachment from things should be savored without external interference.

Throwing away without regrets. Far from the eyes, far from the heart. No second thoughts. No last minute repechage.

And now, prepare yourself a long drink and look around you. Look at your house now.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I agree about making lists for many different things @Emily352. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, in that I like a nice pencil and notepad to scribble on and put arrows, underlines everywhere 🙂

There are so many great points in your post here. Do you find you are able to declutter quite a lot of things?

--------------------

Absolutely, @Lizzie.  Effortlessly. My apartment is not very furnished. I love empty spaces. There is some furniture for connoisseurs, but inserted without exhibition, few objets trouvés and (many) clothes.

I do not have a style referable to catalogs. You can sense an ancient candor that remains in the simplicity of the spaces (space clearing): in short, a suspended place, not obstructed by useless objects, where to shut out the rest of the world.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I wish I could do this @Emily352. I am a little bit of a hoarder, in that I have lots of knick-knacks around my home. However, I too do like to have a clean look to a place. 🙂

--------------------

my dad just stayed at an airbnb (whole house), and it had these incredible views, but all this clutter inside, tea cup collections, dated, kitchey sculptures, and all these hindu statues and deities that totally freaked my dad's wife out XD she's a full-on Christian! 

This is really something to consider. 

If i were that host, I would take all that crap outta there, simplify, and let the view take precedence! I mean, it's so weird, she didn't even have a full photo of this amazing 180 degree ocean and beach view from the deck on her listing!!! astonishing! 

@Shaunti0   Was this place in India? If so, your dad's wife shouldn't travel to countries where she gets freaked out because their religion isn't hers 🙂 I do agree about clutter, though. Why anyone would want a ton of dust collectors around is beyond me.

of course not, it's in Australia.  otherwise, there would be no complaints of course haha

Yeah, i don't understand why all the clutter either. If the host likes that stuff, she should keep it to her own space.