What's something that sucks about being a Airbnb host?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

What's something that sucks about being a Airbnb host?

Here is a link to a post I just put up on another site.

https://www.quora.com/Whats-something-that-sucks-about-being-a-Airbnb-host/answer/Robin-Shannon-7

We have complained about the unfairness of the review system for years now and it is getting us nowhere! In fact each year the review system just gets more complicated and pushes us yet further away from the truth of the hosting experience.

As the company seem to be reticent to bring the review system more into line with accepted industry standards,  I think it is time for us to take our feelings out into the general community!

What do other think?

Cheers.....Rob

23 Replies 23
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan151 @Emilia42

Hi again Susan, yeah look it's not a matter of how I treat this review of hers....it was an short but ok review and so was mine! In the great scheme of things there is nothing there to hold a spanish inquisition over. I only brought it up here to illustrate the irony of the review system when a guest can leave here with everything they can find that they could be entitled to and then proceed to mark me down in overall terms because they though I was a bit light on for value. If she had used it here ok but she didn't, she bolstrered her travelling supplies and still thought it was not enough.

As far as the review of this guest goes, it's all like duck on the pond sweetly gliding along. I just felt personally as bit used Susan. It's a bit like someone walking out of your listing with a half a dozen rolls of toilet paper under their arm plus the hand cream and the shower gell....it's a bit cheeky! 

But others here are saying why didn't I cane her in the review? No. it's not about that, she was a good guest,  just a bit cheeky!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4. I actually think that her brain was working the other way. The reason she could justify taking everything is because she talked herself into believing she hadn't gotten "value" and taking all that stuff would make up for that.

People are funny creatures! And not always in a good way.

@Robin4 wrote:

@Susan151 @Emilia42

... when a guest can leave here with everything they can find that they could be entitled to and then proceed to mark me down in overall terms because they though I was a bit light on for value.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4 reading that is disheartening indeed. People have become so entitled, ungrateful. I think they are now expecting it from your fabulous place and that is rather sad. Are you kidding me they gave a 4 for value! Makes me so annoyed and mad at them. When I read all that the guests took with them I'm thinking just maybe you are supplying too much?? With all that you offer how can you turn much profit - it is amazing. 

Curious Rob how will you review them? Will you privately tell them they are ungrateful jerks (for me please)

I would certainly NOT give them 5 * - ungratefullness = 3* in my book.

I am venting here - I just have to.

I am sorry people are like they are sometimes and don't see goodness. 

Wishing you and Ade all the best. Many Blessings 

Cheers, Clara

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116

I had no idea that was coming Clara, I gave her a good review but in the private feedback said I prefer that what is supplied is for consumption on the property. That helps me to keep my pricing down, not having to replace everything for every guest! 

I have not given a public response to that review as yet....I will of course, I always leave a public response.

Here was her review.........

another 4....value.png

But I want to do it with dignity and not have it seen as  'bitchy' because she gave me a 4 star. I would be far better of making no comment than have future guests see me as 'prickly' and vindictive....I still don't quite know how I will word that response Clara....it's a work in progress!

If she had just eaten and used all the stuff I would not have minded so much but I feel what she did in light of the star rating was a bit naughty. I was at 93% now after the last two weeks I am back down to 91%. A bit disappointing but the next 5 or 6 will get me back up to 92 again.

Cheers......Rob

I wouldn't mention anything publicly. Her written review is nice and gives no indication of the star rating. I would however keep the feedback private and I would definitely not have given her a good review.

@Robin4 when you reply to a review the guest won't get a notifikation that you wrote to her. It is just for the upcoming guests to read. If you want to ask her about why she downrated you on value you will have to write to her privately. And uhhh I'm sorry about the annoyingly and unfair review 😞

@Robin4Ok friend, as I read it you gave B a glowing review and when I followed her trail. She is a very unkind and very ungrateful guest. Just compared her reviews and the place before staying in yours and she calls a 3bd/2 small - and I'll just bet she also marked them down! As they had super glowing reviews but value/communication marked down.. So by your review hosts will book her BUT I would NOT book her - she is wanting The Ritz and paying much less and quick to throw those down. Both places offer those fancy cheese /fruit platters and she is still ungrateful. Nibbles as she calls them - a hog would perhaps say that.  oops, the ugly in me is showing. 

I just loved how she asked the first Hosts - if they had made a typo. They wrote " I would hesitate to recommend them to stay here again, or to other hosts- JUST ONE LITTLE word - hahaha....I loved it. I do not think it was a typo - I think no accident. Just look at the reviews all glowing and marks great - UNTIL she arrives. She is best suited in a cold hotel where she does NOT get all the lovely nibbles and graciousness from hosts that care. She would hate the places in florida - she's lucky if she gets a bottle of water at some places or even clean sheets. It is true......just venting again. I really dislike her Rob.         Enough from me, cheers

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Robin4, sorry for letting the "review" issue aside.

I thought very interesting all the 12 answers you gave to that question:

"Why did you get tired of living in Australia?"

Definitely you have lots of reasons to love Australia!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@J-Renato0

Well Jóse that question to an Aussie deserved a tongue in cheek answer so that is what I gave it. I  guess most of us like where we live and when a question like that comes along it is something I could have a bit of fun with, so I did!

Cheers......Rob