What to do with Plastic bottles & single use plastics?

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

What to do with Plastic bottles & single use plastics?

Plastic bottles are big news in the UK at present. So I was wondering about creative ways to reduce the use of single use plastic in our listing. 

Currently we provide two bottles of water in the fridge and extra 2litre bottles in the listing with a borehole supply. 

We will stop supplying the water and provide a water flask and a reusable glass bottle of the tap water to chill in the fridge. 

Any other ideas? 

68 Replies 68
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A lot of my guests go through an alarming amount of plastic water bottles, especially those that buy the small ones. I make sure these go in the recycling rather than the general waste, but still some weeks (like this one) it's really excessive.

The tap water here is perfectly safe to drink, but I also have a filter fitted on the kitchen tap. I leave a carafe of filtered water and glasses in each bedroom. Some guests use these but a lot never touch them. I've even had guests think that they are purely decorative. One guest asked me if it was a vase. Why anyone would leave a vase with water but no flowers in it is beyond me, let alone put drinking glasses next to it, but I changed the fancy decorative carafes and glasses now with very plain, but still attractive, ones. A lot of guests still don't touch them. I guess they just don't trust the water or are used to drinking bottled only.

Not sure what else to do. I can't tell them not to buy bottled water. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Tap water where I live is definitely not safe to drink. I buy the large 5 gallon jugs of drinking water (the empty jugs are traded in for the new) and have a large glass dispenser for it in the kitchen. When messaging with the guests a week before check-in, I give them a short list of things they would do well to bring with them (a hat for walking in the hot sun, a small flashlight) and a refillable drinking water bottle is at the top of the list. I find a lot of the younger seasoned travelers never leave home without one, anyway. I end up with very few plastic bottles.

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Most of my guests arrive by air, and we are located in the tropics (savannah/monsoonal) with either a hot and wet season, or a hot and dry season. Your geography and time of year should be considered in your solution.

So to ensure guests are hydrating from the moment they arrive, I provide a 600 ml bottle of water per guest in the fridge, already cold).  Two x 1 litre carafes of tap water cold in the fridge, and ice cubes and ice trays filled to continue to make more.

For “ picnics” I have an empty 1.5litre water insulated flask. But most of all, I let all guests know we have fantastic tap water, so they can refill the personal bottles for organised tours etc. otherwise, glasses and plastic cups readily available for use.

Also like @Huma0 we have recycling bins.

Diane261
Level 2
Red Deer, Canada

I offer my kitchen as shared accommodation. I personally don't like our town water but it is safe. I have filtered water for years... It's not hard to keep up if you just encourage guests to be part of the filtering process. Always cold and in the fridge. Just recently I saw a report on the news with only a handful of bottles in 1000 tested had plastic particulates in it. Just one more reason to avoid plastic bottles. I bought two small sleeves of to-go coffee cups four guests who were on the run and didn't have their own. They have never been opened. All in all I believe the type of people on this forum are already conscientious of environment and cost efficiency.

I provide guests with glasses in their room and a chilled glass bottle of water for every visit that we simply wash and refill.

Dallas9
Level 3
Murphy, NC

My fridge provides filtered water.  I dont provide foodstuffs since i run my home as a economy home.  My rate is pretty low.

i detest plastic bottles. It's not only because of the environment. Nestle taps local aquifers to the degree that they are actually affecting groundwater levels. 

When it is 90 degrees farenheit, my guests want water they can take with them. So I allow 2 bottles per stay, whether it's 1 night or 8 months.

Take what you need, and leave the rest. And they leave the ones they don't use.

Then I direct them to use the water in the Brita filter in the main fridge. It refills in a jiffy.  

THOSE BOTTLES CAN LAST +3 MONTHS. Compliance is +90%!!!!

Cheers!

Meg12
Level 3
Eugene, OR

I have a large britta filter container in the kitchen and they just use that water, tho the water in Eugene is quite good already. They have just stopped recycling plastic here so this is a really important topic, thanks.

Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

We use glass or stainless steel containers in lieu of plastic.  Something different and eye catching that perhaps guests  haven’t used before so they feel inspired to try using these during their stay.  I particullary like the Love Bottle.  They are thick durable glass with unique designs.  We receive a lot of positive feedback on them.  As for the water itself, our tap water is good but we also added an under the counter water filtration system.  So guests have the option of tap, filtered from an additional faucet or the filtered through the fridge.  We also offer a lightweight glass container to put in the fridge if they desire chilled.  In our house binder we talk about the benefits of limiting plasitic and trash.  There are also 2 reference books in the house, Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson and Plastic Free by Beth Terry.  Both resources really help one to think outside of the box.  Like are compostable products really better?  In many areas compostable items go to the landfill and don’t break down.  Makes one think twice about these products. 

Hope this info is helpful in some way. 

Susan906
Level 3
Pittenweem, United Kingdom

I too am glad this is being discussed and so many are making positive choices instead of using plastic. I'm near the sea coast here and it's appalling how much plastic washes up every day. 

I use small refillable bottles for shampoo shampoo and conditioner but am going to start using shampoo and body bars. I have a lovely vintage glass decanter and two matching glasses that sit on a tray in the room.  I dry all my laundry outside on the line ans have just enough to flip a room. 

I bake my own bread in the morning and buy bulk granola and yogurt. I wish there was an alternative to yogurt containers. Most of the furniture and accessories in the room and my house are repurposed and vintage. Not much synthetic or plastic at all in the house.

I'm always looking for new ideas and products so thanks for the shared tips. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is wonderful @Susan906 and it is great to hear what you do to reduce your plastic. I have recently started using re-usable covers for food bowls, instead of using cling film. It feels good having not to throw away it every time. 

This is a great conversation, I look forward to hearing what others do. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Susan906
Level 3
Pittenweem, United Kingdom

Thanks @Lizzie 

i think its all of our reponsibility to do all we can. There's so many options out there now we have no excuses other than habit.

re-usable covers are great, did you know that you can make your own? Beeswax coated fabric squares work wonderfully to confirm to the shapes of jars and they also work well for wrapping food like sandwiches. Easy to clean and re use over and over. 

Heres to a better planet and future for our kids.

susan 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Love this idea @Susan906. Are beeswax coated fabric squares easy to make? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Tanya92
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

I provide a Brita filter that's in the refrigerator.  With a coffee maker in the room, I also provide milk in a small glass bottle that I keep filled throughout a visit.  Same thing with a quart sized bottle for orange juice.  And of course, recycling is key.  Fortunately, I live in a community that collects recyclables, yard waste, and compost!  When I'm emptying trash cans, I always pull out the recyclables.

Tasha22
Level 2
Prescott, AZ

We have only glass to drink out of. We have glass water pictures and one filtered water picture in the fridge. The thought of disposable plastic water bottles have always boggled my mind.  I like the idea of leaving a jug of tea out. Hydration is a good thing for everyone. We are fortunate to have good well water too.