Wheel chair access and stairs

Wheel chair access and stairs

I accepted my first ever guest reservation for a 1 night stay. After acceptance I thought I would double check a few detail which are already mentioned in my advert but considering my guests age, I thought I would reiterate the flights of stairs required to access my apartment only to be told that she is awaiting hip replacement surgery and utilises a wheel chair. I suggested my accomodation may not be suitable due to the stairs but the guest believes she will be fine, she won't cancel the reservation and mentioned she will take it slow or even crawl up them if need be. I'm concerned for her health and safety as even my mum who isn't waiting for a hip replacement struggles. If she won't cancel and I do then I will take the penalties for this, is it extenuating circumstances? How can I contact Airbnb to discuss? Suggestions? Should I allow the poor lady to arrive and then realise it's not practical? 

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Wow, you've done a ton of cancelling, @Darren19, so I guess you know what you're in for. But I would say if she won't cancel, let her come. You have explained the stair situation, and she has agreed. When she writes her review, detailing how she was forced to pitifully crawl to her room, you can respond with "guest was fully apprised and agreed to pitifully crawl". Surely that is better than another cancellation?

@Darren19

I would call airbnb 02 8520 3333 and tell them you are in fear for your guests safety. I would also call the insurance company and find out if you are even covered should this guest fall down the stairs.  Do not count on airbnb for any insurance. 

At this stage, I would just cancel this guest through airbnb if possible and delete the profile altogether and start over again.  Deleting the profile is the only way to get rid of these cancellations on your page.  If this is your only booking you have a chance to do that now.  You are beginning SEVERELY behind the post with all these cancellations.  If a traveller has no confidence that their booking is secure 9 times out of 10 they will not book with you.

Keep your listing on snooze and find out how the site works before you go live.  Turn off instant book until you are more experienced and have your house rules and so forth fine tuned.  When you go live you will get a boost to the top of the search for a short amount of time - do not waste it - as this is an opportunity to get bookings to establish some reviews.

Good luck.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yowza...how do you even get enquiries let alone bookings with the number of cancellations you have! You really need to think about whether hosting is for  you. Nice of you to be concered about this woman, frankly I am amazed they have booked with you given your record. Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but I don;t think I have seen as many cancellations on a profile!

Good luck

Sandy119
Level 2
Glide, OR

I am experiencing the same issue, an elderly couple with a "scooter" Imhave tried to convey that our place is not going to be suitable or practical....help!