When guests leave a property in a poor condition

John1937
Level 2
Whitley Bay, GB

When guests leave a property in a poor condition

I am relatively new to Airbnb but not the rental market.

A guest today, after a two night stay, left our cottage in the following state

-Dishes on draining board to be dried & put away

-Rubbish in bin not removed to external bins

-Empty glass bottles (the local authority do not recycle then) placed beside the kitchen bin, despite in our manual stating the bottles should be recycled at local centres or taken home

-Other recycling items (cans/milk cartons) also placed beside the kitchen bin

-Micorowave absolutley filthy, coated in lentils

-Several red wine stains on bed linen

-Blood stains on bed linen

-Pink candle wax split on wooden flooring & throughout the cottage

The question I have is-Is it unresonable to have expected any of this to have happened ? 

-Is it normal practice to ask in house manual to ask guests to wash/dry/put away crockery/glasswear ?

-Is it normal practice to ask in the house manual to ask guests to put out the trash ?

-What is the protocol when reviewing a guest who leaves a property in such a state ?

We were able to turn the cottage around for our next guests the same day but it probably took another hour than normal to do so

Many thanks in advance of replies

John

-

2 Replies 2
Eduard47
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hello John. I think some of those are totally reasonable. However the reality is those things happen.

It's not something that should happen but it's quite unnavoidable. I would say try to protect things as much as you can. We for example have thick mattress protector just in case stain happen and it did several times and so on.

It should be the case of common courtesy but unfortunately not everyone is like that!

Also very important fact that we found out quite recently is that Airbnb will only cover in case of damage things you have receipts for so try to hold on to those if you can!

Thanks for the reply Eduard

The guests rated us before we rated them, they scored us 100% & 5 star whilst we rated them 3 star & commented privately "We were disaapointed with the state the cottage was left in". They have not replied.