Why I Take Issue With Airbnb's Policies Around 'Emotional Support' Animals...

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Why I Take Issue With Airbnb's Policies Around 'Emotional Support' Animals...

I have an issue with Airbnb's policy declaring that an emotional support animal is to be treated the same as an ADA-protected animal, because as a licensed psychotherapist, I am aware that many people are able to easily convince a licensed mental health professional that they 'need' their pet to be documented / authorized as an 'emotional support animal' but the true intent is that they wish to travel anywhere with the animal and not be challenged on it. I know this first hand, as I am a licensed therapist. I have refused more than once such requests (even from a few friends and acquaintances who were not clients!) because they were not justified and it would be unethical for me to agree to such a request - but some therapists are not so diligent. Also, it is my understanding that the ADA does not recognize or protect under the law 'emotional support animals' . Here are the two 'policies' (Airbnb policy and ADA federal law):

Airbnb's Policies: "Emotional Support Animal: Airbnb defines assistance animals to include Emotional Support Animals. These are animals that are used as part of medical treatment and/or therapy to assist with an individual’s daily functional tasks, but are not limited to a specific type of animal and are not required to be trained to assist an individual in a particular task. These animals are sometimes referred to as comfort animals or therapy animals."

And this is from the ADA: 

"If you're an individual with an emotional or psychological disability- emotional support animals can be an excellent companion. While emotional support animalsare used as part of some medical treatment plans, they are not considered service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).Nov 11, 2016"

I therefore am concerned that Airbnb has it's own policy around this and has included emotional support animals in it's anti-discrimatory categories, even though the ADA does not. It would seem to put the host in an unfair position. I have seen some cavalier responses on other forums to hosts asking about this issue, such as, "So if the animal destroys something just take photos and collect money for it from the guest and kick them out", etc. Well, if you are booked pretty much full-time year-round like we are, with same day turnover, finding that a guest's supposed "support" animal has destroyed something in your rental a few hours before the next guest checks in, or having a guest checking in who understood your property to be a pet-free zone and they chose it in part for this reason due to allergies, etc, can put undue hardship on both the host and the guest that follows the support animal's 'visit'. I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on this. It irks me, frankly, that Airbnb is seemingly not aligning it's policies with ADA definitions and laws. Your thoughts? By the way, please do not assume I do not enjoy animals. I in fact originally had my Cottage listed as pet-friendly, but my two large dogs and the guest dogs engaged in barking and territorial behavior despite a wall separating them and despite all dogs being relatively well behaved. The guest dogs tend to mark their 'new' territory in such cases, so this was an issue as well. As a therapist, I specialize in animal assisted therapy (horses and dogs). So this is not about my not wanting animals on my property. It is about hosts being put in an unfair position unnecessarily, given federal laws do not recognize emotional support animals as a protected animal but Airbnb does, as well as the fact that in some cases the 'emotional support' animal title and privilege is being misused / abused by both clients and licensed mental health professionals at times. Therapists whose incomes depend on accommodating their clients sometimes have trouble saying "No - that would not be ethical", particularly when they are new to the field and trying to build a clientele. There is also the matter of our not being allowed to have guests sign animal addendums or waivers, nor can we collect extra fees. In my dog addendum guests had to agree to de-flea dogs before visiting the Cottage and to pay for de-fleaing if I had to fumigate after their stay - which also would result in possible loss of income for me if guests following could not be accommodated by me.
128 Replies 128

Tracy, I think I tagged you already but I did post my concern around this issue early this morning on host voice, if you wanted to thumbs-up it.

In Korea the laws and situation is a bit different, but personally as a home-owner, I've always thought that a dog is a dog and it doesn't matter whether the dog is a pet, an emotional support animal, or a service dog - it will still cause allergies to people who are allergic to dogs. I have mild allergies, so I can dog sit for up to 1 week with little to no symptoms as long as the dog stays out of my bathroom and bedroom and I take precautions but I found out the hard way, I can't share living space with pets for extended periods of time.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 I posted on the Host Voice forum: Please give it a thumbs up so we can hopefully capture the attention of the higher-up honchos at Airbnb - Thanks!

Link to post here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Anti-Discriminatory-Policy-on-Protecting-Emotional-Su...

Meg12
Level 3
Eugene, OR

I really appreciate how articulately you put forward your argument and I couldn’t agree with you more. I do not allow my animals to go into the Bnb. I had a renter before I turned it into an airbnb who had animals in there and it destroyed the apartment. I prefer to be able to not allow pets! To create a policy that is not congruent with the ADA seems unnecessary and unsupportive of the hosts.

@Meg12 Succinctly put, and well said. Most all of Airbnb's policies make perfect sense to me, but not this one. I see you are in Eugene. If you are ever in Heceta Beach, please let me know, it would be fun to meet! Also, I think you nearly booked here with me once, but I could be thinking of someone else...?

Would love to meet you Rebecca!

I don't think it was me. I only remember thinking about seaside one time and didn't go. I'll keep it in mind though!

Thanks for touching in! Warmly,

Meg

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I will be posting a request for a policy change on Host Voice - Stay tuned for the link so you can 'thumbs up' it if you agree. This will help to get upper management's attention (one can only hope). Someone else posted a similar request last October: It got one comment, 9 thumbs up, and was archived. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Meg12 @Fred13 @Alice-and-Jeff0 @Rene-and-Zac0 @Matthew285   I posted on the Host Voice forum: Please give it a thumbs up so we can hopefully capture the attention of the higher-up honchos at Airbnb - Thanks!

Link to post here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Anti-Discriminatory-Policy-on-Protecting-Emotional-Su...

Dogs, planes, and hotels - a random story:  Years ago I had clients who were show dog owners with a Best of Breed quality kennel.  One day they were complaining about the cost of a flight for a show.  Turns out, when owners fly show dogs, they buy actual seats for the dogs in the cabin and the dog typically flys with their owner or their show partner. Additionally, when breeding dogs of this caliber, they did fly from place to place when the distance is long (like overseas) although I think now medical technology allows for breeding in a less traditional way.  This was more than 20 years ago, so animals have been "allowed" on planes for a long time but not for free. Ditto with dogs in hotels during a show.  How many critters do you think are being housed in hotels when big shows like Crufts or Westminster are ongoing?  I bet hundreds and it's definitely not free. 

.... can't avoid saying it.... imagine the hurdles we jumped over and lines of credit for the agility dog owner clients I had..... lol 🙂 

EPIC.jpg

@Alice-and-Jeff0

Like this?

David

That looks so much like one of my dogs I had to get up and see if she was still here!!!

You make an excellent point, and I hope you bring this up if you choose to comment on the post I made on this issue in the host voice section early this morning

I know a person who shows Australian Shepherds.  A few years ago her dog qualified for Crufts so she flew from the US to England for the show.  She posed as a visually impaired person and said he was her guide dog and he flew in the cabin.  They entered the dog in the Crufts show and lo and behold the dog won Best in Show.  He was the most famous dog in Great Britain that week.  Flying home she could no longer pose as a blind person with a guide dog but they let him fly in the cabin anyway because he was so famous.

That is a wonderful story, indeed! And thank you for your very valuable comments on my post over at Host Voice. I thought your idea was brilliant. I had the idea that Airbnb can simply say that hosts may refer to their local / city / county / state (or other, if outside of the U.S.) laws when wondering if they must accept ESA's. Just like Airbnb's policy on Age Requirements. I loved your idea of an ESA check-box. Simply brilliant. 

duplicate post