Why does airbnb ignore my 3 month in advance setting preference for advance bookings?

Answered!

Why does airbnb ignore my 3 month in advance setting preference for advance bookings?

This is the 6th booking airbnb accepted between 4 to 6 months in advance when using instant book when all my listings I have maintained the 3 month advance booking setting? Seasonal destinations like ours require completely different minimum stay and price settings from June to November than minimum stay and price settings from December to May. Airbnb has strongly advised using this Instant Book feature but after considering the downside and especially these airbnb's enabling these 6 instant bookings regardless of my 3 month advance settings my only option is to turn off instant book.   

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lorna-Enriquez0

Not sure if this answers all your questions:

First, if your calendar is only open for the next 3 months, guests can stll email you and ask about future dates they just cant IB

Under your Availabilty Settings you can set bespoke date ranges where you decided the min and max number of nights a person must book during that period. THere are also standard seasons that you can choose.

I would start out with the longest period for a holiday season, say 2 weeks and  if you are not gettin any business maybe reduce it to 10 days and then perhaps a week if still no response. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lorna-Enriquez0

Not sure if this answers all your questions:

First, if your calendar is only open for the next 3 months, guests can stll email you and ask about future dates they just cant IB

Under your Availabilty Settings you can set bespoke date ranges where you decided the min and max number of nights a person must book during that period. THere are also standard seasons that you can choose.

I would start out with the longest period for a holiday season, say 2 weeks and  if you are not gettin any business maybe reduce it to 10 days and then perhaps a week if still no response. 

Thanks so much Gerry & Rashid for your quick response but I am and have been aware of each of your points which seems to point toward some sort of airbnb software engineering mistake. So after thinking more about my options to prevent such mistakes from being allowed to happen by airbnb for whatever reason my only way to prevent future anomalies like this is to turn off the "Instant Book" feature which airbnb marketing has pushed and encouraged so strongly over the past couple of years.  In seasonal tourism markets rates can be nearly half price in low season months and 2 or 3 night bookings acceptable but in high season months at higher rates and minimum stays of 6 to 10 nights if this 3 month setting is not enforceable by airbnb staff and functionality then we will continue not to use Instant Book. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lorna-Enriquez0

If you are referring to the rolling calendar and this feature does not suit you, I suggest you use the "block all future dates" and open your calendar dates manually.

Thanks so Much Marit Anne for the next best option from the one I chose because with option you suggested I get the benefits of the Istant Book feaure for bookings on 3 months in advance with a guarantee of not getting high or peak season 3 night bookings blocking me from longer term bookings. The only downside about your suggestion is I may very likely lose 6 to 21 longer bookings during the peak season months 4 to 6 months later because our blaocked calendar listings will not be available for those searching for Dec / xmas/ New years to late Jan /Feb Chinese New years booking dates