Why not any Super-Guests?

Troy9
Level 6
Coburg, Australia

Why not any Super-Guests?

Or sub-title: "What's the point of hosts writing guest reviews when there's a thing called Instant Booking?"

So, AirBnb promotes and loves their Instant Booking correct?

And there are reviews for the guest, great that makes sense, but alas who cares, mediocre guests can book no problems.

For a host not to activate it could mean a drop in bookings, or atleast more management time in the (very slow) messaging area of the website.

Yes, I am aware of the feature for 'Instant Booking' to require a host review recommendation, but it seems many host reviews need subtle language and may not be strictly disapproving of the guest, but still mention a particular issue in their stay that was not a high-point.

Perhaps AirBNB can reward GREAT guests more???

We hosts (apparently) all strive to be superhosts, why not super-guests also?

As a host, we are gauged on percentage-points and star-ratings to a fine-point.

It seem for the guest ithe rating system is very blunt --thumbs-up-or-down. Why?

I know, perhaps it's the money, we are the expense --they are the customer, simple.

But surely it shouldn't be that black-and-white. Better guests are also less expensive for AirBNB to manage.

So thoughts?

27 Replies 27

@Bee-and-Rog0 , the levels have nothing to do with expertise or quality of contributions. The more you participate here in the CC, the higher your level will be. That's all 🙂

@Annette33 - Thank you for that (Y) 🙂

....We all have equality here on AirBNB Bee 😉

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

I think super host is a **bleep**, I'd expect super guest would be much the same for all the same reasons.

@Troy9  Airbnb is hardly going to discount it's fees for a super guest , same as you not going to take a wack out of your share of the cash.

Perhaps it is a Pollyanna of a wish.

But my logic is that because 'super-guests' would be less of an impact on their (ABB) bottom line regarding complaints, human involvment, and because they would be chalking up more trips than the very casual / one-off guest, it would make sense to promote it and give them a discounted (reduced ABB commission) rate.

Maybe see it as more like Airlines Frequent Flyers.

Maybe it would be just annoying to have super-guests. Especially if they are aware of their status and develop expectations that go with it. 😉

Seriously, I like most of my guests, and if I had a free wish, what to wish for in my next guest, I'd probably just say "Surprise me!"

It's quite easy, if you are curious, so you will find something enjoyable in everyone, and have a small set of rules, that you impose. A few rules are manageable for everyone, I explain them as a matter of fact and in a no-nonsense way, the rest can be adapted. 

It's way too much work to even think about what super-guests should be and judge people if they come up to that standard. A bit more or less cleaning comes with the job, but having an imaginary or printed check-list whilst rating them, would be quite a terrible work. 

Mari75
Level 1
Sunrise, FL

I agree wholeheartely. I am one of the guests that makes sure to leave the place I am staying spotless. Sometimes I forget I paid a cleaning fee, but my momma taught me to be considerate. Would be lovely to see perhaps a discount on the cleaning fee, or a credit given to guests who have excellent rating. Anything to promote a more positive experience to both guests and host. 

Daniele-Y-Fabricio0
Level 4
Buenos Aires, Argentina

A big YES!

In my opinion, it is about time for Airbnb to implement a Super Guest program as well.

We've been hosting on Airbnb for about five years now and since Airbnb became mainstream, the quality of guests dropped considerably. This means they are generally more demanding, less polite, less respectful, less apreciative and less easy going. With some being a serious pain.

The reason is that they don't generally care about reputation (or not as much as hosts at least) because getting a bad review only means they can use another account...

A Super Guest program would probably encourage guests to be nicer, politer and more respectful the same way it does with Hosts.

Perhaps offering Super Guests some benefits like discounted Airbnb fees for Super Guests would be a good enough incentive for them to be more responsible of their behaviour and actitude.

Let's not forget that Airbnb is a community of people based on trust. The trust should be reciprocal and the treatment be symmetrical.

I’ve stayed at 20+ airbnbs in the U.S., Mexico and Guatemala.  I’ve only been disappointed twice and that was because the hosts were young/naive.  My reviews are postive 99% of the time.  In fact, I write mostly compelling property reviews, urging guests to book.  I always leave my airbnbs spotless, with sheets and towels bundled and all garbage bagged.  I often leave “house gifts” like a coffee maker or kitchen towels or wine glasses ... items that were missing.  I communicate well with my hosts and never sweat the small things ... like late check-ins or no hot water (Mexico).  In short, I’m basically an ideal guest.  Do I want to be a Super Guest?  Sure, but by title only.  I wouldn’t expect any special treatment or discounted rate.  Maybe a cold beer in the frig waiting for me?  Just my two cents.  

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

Troy, I think that is an excellent idea. I know that I would be prepared to offer a reduction in price to a "super guest" knowing that they would leave my lodges in a clean and tidy condition. We as hosts build into our pricing structure a damage primium which i would be prepared to waver knowing that my guest had a good track record. I think it would be good for BNB, hosts and provide good guests with an incentive to continue to use the platform.

Regards Shaun.

Susan1160
Level 2
Norridgewock, ME

Heck yeah! I actually just hosted an awesome couple and their dog. I feel guilty taking the cleaning fee cause all I had to do was change sheets and do laundry. Talk about making my life easier. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Tom497@Susan1160@Shaun69@Daniele-Y-Fabricio0@Mari75,

It is great to hear you would like a Superguest program to be introduced. It has been a popular idea here in the Community Center and Brian mentioned about introducing a Superguest program in his Keynote session back in February. 

We have a discussion going on elsewhere in the CC, where others are given their suggestions on what criteria should be based on for a Superguest program. It would be great to hear your ideas there. 🙂

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I have been asking Airbnb this for sometime.   It’s fine that as the host, we have to strive for super host status.  However,  one overbearing demanding guest can ruin that very easily.

Ive had bad guests who damaged the property.  Even with one photo evidence- Airbnb paid for the damage not the guest. There needs to be a better balance in Airbnb’s definition of the sharing economy.   This definition should include a reward for being a good guest.  

At at this point since Airbnb is not doing anything to assist hosts-  i choose guests based on  The reviews of other hosts .   I trust the word of other hosts rather than rely on Airbnb to collect an ID from the guest.