Writing my 1st negative review

Christina355
Level 7
Bradenton, FL

Writing my 1st negative review

Ugh! I was just forcred to write my 1st negative review. I knew it would happen at some point. Just need to vent a minute! 

I had a woman with a nice selfie book my place for just herself for 3 nights. Her message to me is "Hey Christina, I'm just coming in to town for a graduation".  I send my little house guide with everything you need to know about the space- the little nuances, where to find extra sheets, what parts of the property are off limits (like my house) etc. My place is a camper on a separate part of my property and I rarely see my guests unless they need something. I send the lock box code and ask that she let me know her arrival time. No response at all... Day of check-in I'm cooking dinner and my dogs start barking so I look outside. To my surprise a vehicle parks at my door and 3 people hop out.. they walk up to my house. I meet these people outside and they inform me that they are staying in my camper.... Um, you are not the person in the picture and there are three people here... not 1 like the booking?! I'm told the neice booked this for them and she failed to pass along my guide, obviously hadn't read my listing and didn't have the code to the lock box. One of the people tries to hand me her credit card to prove she paid. I have no way to know what card was used! They had a kid with them and it was already after 6pm on a graduation weekend, so I decided to let them stay. I explained the issues with 3rd party bookings and then I heard no peep out of them the whole time. I went in today after their check-out and they left a note saying they couldn't find the extra sheets to accomodate the extra people that had spending the night, but they didn't want to bother me by asking... the nerve! It was so odd and I think they genuinely didn't understand how Airbnb works, but I was glad for them to leave. I doubt they'll write me a review, but I left a straight forward review for the woman that booked even though she didn't even stay here (mainly because she didn't stay, actually). 

These 3rd party bookings are out of control! Airbnb needs to make it VERY clear to guests that this is not ok. Not to mention that its not ok to book for 1 when 3 will be staying. If we could just force them to READ haha 

40 Replies 40

I am not saying I want 3rd party bookings.... 

you are taking a risk even though the listing not in your home. you are not covered by Airbnb

insurance or your home insurence i suppose. those guests did not sign the contract with Airbnb that will protect you in case you need protection. Let stragers off the street is risky.

yes, Airbnb do not run criminal check but they have members ID, credit card information, phone number Email address and maybe physical address, in case something happend the guest can be truked and found. Here, you leave your self at the mercy of the people you let in to my opinion

taking risk to earn some $ is not worth it. In addition, if the person on the reservation will not show up you will get paid by Airbnb anyway.

@Ma0 appreciate your point of view but most of us who have allowed 3rd party guests to stay are doing so out of consideration for the guests, not to make a little money as you say. I am fully aware of the negatives of hosting 3rd party guests, which is why I was upset that I was blindsided by a 3rd party booking. We all have to make decisions on what we're comfortable with regarding hosting. Even hosting at all is a potential risk. 

I was just venting as I mentioned in my post. 

Ma0
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

You should not have let them in because they are not listed on the reservation.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Christina355 follow your instincts and use common sense, which you sound like you have both.

I have had many 'odd' guest changes over the last 4 years, what started out as one reality ended up as totally another. One reservation (called off wedding), changed 4 times (over 2 years time) and the group that finally came never even had heard of Airbnb till I told them! 

@Fred13 That's funny! I bet they were glad Airbnb exists when they got to stay at your place! I'm sure I'll only experience more weird guests. These 3rd party booking people actually left me a 5 star review and a gift haha guess they still had a good time afterall 🙂 

Karen981
Level 2
Houston, TX

I definitely would not have let them stay.  My view point and skeptic about these types of bookings (of which I’ve had to decline 2 recently bc it just looked suspicious) 

1 - it seems likely to me, they use children to draw sympathy.

2 - they were probably looking for something valuable or cash to steal (not necessarily your guests but these situations make me go to this level of thinking) 

3 - I noticed both my declines had vague and only 1 or 2 reviews

4 - I exchanged numbers with one guy and after my suspicions did a reverse number look up and sure enough it wasn’t listed as him and not likely someone he even knew.

These are all speculative but I trust my gut and think you should definitely never let someone stay who didn’t book the place themselves and have a profile that’s verified.

@Karen981 

yikes sounds like you've had some really creepy experiences. Its definitely a good idea to decline when you know ahead of time and you are uncomfortable with it. That's just a very different style of thinking/hosting than I have. 

I was just sharing my personal experience- everyone’s is different. I personally host a lot guests that are first time Airbnb users that don't have reviews, so that doesn't deter me. I just assume that all my guests are coming to have a nice time and enjoy my farm and that has been the case so far. Even these surprise 3rd party guests had a nice time, gave me 5 stars (through the niece's profile) and even left a gift. They just genuinely didn't understand how Airbnb works and had a niece book for them. It really did bug me at the time, especially since they didn't bother to read the guide I provided, but it worked out in this case. Hopefully they'll be better guests next time. 

Karen981
Level 2
Houston, TX

And just one more thing to note.  I’ve met scammers who have been as polite and kinas anybody I’ve known. But in the end, they are opportunistic.  The best way to get away with somethig is to make someone like you. Just keep this in mind 

I appreciate your skepticism that's just not how I live my life. I trust my own instincts 🙂 

Cindy249
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Hi ,

Tip 1. ~ Check out my listings and then you will see I wrote behind my room name (NO THIRD PARTY RESERVATIONS) .

It has stopped since I have done that. I ALWAYS refused third party reservations as only the reservation between you and the person who made the reservation will be covered in insurance . I was told to immidiatly call/contact Airbnb if someone made such a reservation and I know it is a third party and they will cancell it and it won't show up against me.

Tip 2. ~ I make it clear in all my listings is that ONLY the person who made the reservation will be allowed to occupy the room. If it is a couple, I also need the FULL name and copy of a drivers licence of the partner.  Add the NO 3rd party reservation and the listing only occupied by person making the reservation , and your life will become much easier as you have a good foot to stand on when you refuse them. Hope this helps .