Writing reviews

Biss0
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Writing reviews

For my last 2 bookings I have written the host review of my guests. They have not written a guest review, despite my request that they do via the messages in their booking. However, I now see in their profiles that they are recommended by me. It seems unfair that they get the recommendation without writing a review. Can I withdraw my review of them and therefore the recommendation? Or am I missing something?

Also IF a guest comes and you write them a bad review, I would imagine they will know this will happen and to avoid getting a bad review themselves they don’t review you, (as reviews are only published if both host and guest review). Is there anyway around this?

12 Replies 12
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Biss0 Reviews are published after 14 days regardless of whether both sides have reviewed. The guest and host cannot see the other review until they have either both have submitted a review or the review period is over. So you can't leave a good/bad review based on what the other person wrote, and equally you can't get a review removed if you now wish you'd written something different because of their review.

Biss0
Level 1
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks for that. It’s just frustrating that I sometimes don’t get a review as, I think, my overall rating as a host includes what percentage of guests write a review and feels more important to get good reviews from guests than vice versa.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Biss0 No, your overall rating is only based on reviews recieved. Superhost status requires that you are rated by a certain percentage of your guests. I try and ignore the whole rating thing as I just get upset when I get an unfair rating because someone didn't read the listing properly, or ask questions prior to booking!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Biss0Reviews, as you must have gathered by now having 43 of them yourself, is something you can't 'expect', they either come or not. Of course, there are ~delicate~ ways to suggest them, for example: If the guest happens to mention something in particular they appreciated , saying: "That is an interesting take, if you write a review, future guest would appreciate hearing that". Note the word 'If' (aka soft sell).

I only write a review if someone reviews me, unless I have something important to share that may be of benefit for other hosts.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Biss0 are you sure that they haven't reviewed you? Reviews are sorted by country of origin/language, so reviews are not always chronological and a new review can appear buried low in the list below older reviews if the guests come from various places.

And, per the advice that you've already seen above maybe read up some on how the review process actually works so that you understand all the various rules, timing, costs/benefits, etc

Good luck

LeaAndSean0
Level 2
Florida, United States

Hi,

I am a new host on Airbnb.  We have had 6 guests so far and everything has been great until the last one.  We have a strict cancellation policy as we are in a resort area and our first month were booked solid except for one night.  This guest had no reviews on Airbnb, but we accepted her based on her Facebook profile.  So, first, the day before check in, she sent me a message saying that her cousin had died and she might not make the trip.  I replied that I was sorry about her cousin, but did not offer to refund her money.  She then said that she was coming (good communication so far).  She got here and said that some friends had rented a condo nearby and that she would be spending most of her time there.  So far, so good.  I checked in on her the day after arrival and everything was fine.  She spent the night at my home and was gone all the next day.  I went to work and when I got home about midnight she wasn't there.  The next morning, I heard alot of banging around and she left and left her door open.  I sent her a message asking whether she had to leave early (I was assuming for her cousin's funeral).  I had a guest coming the next day and wanted to clean the room if she had left.  She then sent me a message saying that indeed she had left, but not to go to the funeral, to go stay at her friends condo because she couldn't handle "the loud, thumping, techno music".  I asked my husband about this and he said that he turned on some background music while he ate dinner.  He did this through our Amazon Echo...so we can see on the app how loud it was and what time it was turned off.  She claimed that it was very loud and thumping techno music that went on from 9PM until she left at 10:15 PM.  We are at the beach with a pool in the backyard...so our quiet hours are from midnight until 8 AM.  This was well before quiet hours.  On the Amazon app, the music level was set at moderate and it was turned off at 10:01.  The music was indeed background music...no loud, thumping, techno music.  She claimed that she had a migraine headache and couldn't handle it, which of course could have been true, but she did lie by saying it was turned up really loud and lied that it was still on when she left at 10:15. She paid for three nights but only spent one night in our home.  She did not contact us or say anything about this til I sent her the message.  When I cleaned the room, self tanner all over our white sheets and appeared to be about a weeks worth of makeup on the hand towel in the room.  It did come out of the sheets after washing 5 times, but I had to throw the towel away.  I refunded her money for the two nights that she didn't stay, but I really think that she was trying to get us to refund her money when she found out a friend had rented a condo down the street.  Nothing about the dead cousin after she got there...and she went to stay at said friends condo after the first night because of the music that was not loud.   We lost $150 on two nights that would have been booked by someone else.   She really didn't do anything wrong, but lied twice so that we would refund her money.  I would not have her in my home again and if she gets horrible headaches, why would she stay in a location that has other people living there.  She would be much better suited for a place where there are not other people.  Help!  How do I write a review on this??  All of our other reviews are 5 star by everyone who has stayed with us.  

"Guest did not live up to her/our agreement" 

"Best suited to a corporate hotel with a liberal change/return policy"

"Guest acted in bad faith by manufacturing problems" 

"Guest indecisive about commiting to her agreed reservation"

Take your pick. Keep it short and sweet

THANK YOU and yes in caps. We are getting ready to write our first not great review... First time Airbnbers, we were gone, we got home (room in our house) the front door was unlocked the balcony patio off their room was open and lights blazing. My husband has tried to make very light conversation and there is no eye contact.. Due to timing I have been working on the two days they were here (check out this a.m.) ... but hubby says he has (with smile on face) if you take a look at our guest book, you will notice, we only eating areas inside and out, but not upstairs. 

They came in, with wet sand on feet and went upstairs before we could offer to let them hose off outside. 

We do not think they are trying to be poor guests but... even as we said, it is like staying with a freind... we have decided they have none. lol.. Anyway, we do not want to be mean.. but they are more suited for a corporate hotel. Love it

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Lea0  In all probaility, she is a bit of a 'hustler', always looking for an angle to get something for nothing. It is a tricky no-win situation. First, I would not write a review unless she does so, and learn from the experience.      

IF she leaves a review, a deadpan short one will do, and then you get to see her review, and IF she plunges into minutae, then your ~public response~ requires the real thought. Good luck.

Thank you Fred,

I didn't really want to review her, but thought that it hurt me on Airbnb.

HI Fred!

Wondering how one can tell if the other person left a review or not?  I thought the only way to know for sure is after 14 days, both, none, or one will appear?  Please do share.  Thank you for your time and expertise.  

Cindy237
Level 5
Johannesburg, South Africa

Airbnb will send you an email notifying you that your guest has left you a review.