a friend of a friend of a friend needs a 3 month stay. I'd have to cancel a few 2-night stays

Allison75
Level 1
Boston, MA

a friend of a friend of a friend needs a 3 month stay. I'd have to cancel a few 2-night stays

I've just had a request from someone who lives in India and is the friend of a friend of a friend. She is seeking a 3-month stay and is worried about traveling to The States by herself and hoping for a place she can find through referrals.

I'd be happy to host her, but I have 3 2-night stays already booked in the time period she needs.

Is it bad form to cancel those reservations? And will AirBnB allow me to book the long-term stay, if I do?

How would I go about this in the best possible way?

19 Replies 19
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Allison75

This is super easy to resolve.

Just book your friend of a friend in before and after the dates you have guests for a couple of nights. (or block those dates out if you are not hosting her through Airbnb.

You can then help her find somewhere else for the night you have guests.

Nice of you to want to help this visitor but honestly we aren't that fragile and can cope with coming to your country without being being treated with kid gloves 🙂 even in the Trump era 🙂

No need to set up another profile. No need to have a cancellation on your profile and attendant penalties. Just book her in before and after existing guest committments.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Your business, your call. You know the consequences.

David

The consequences of what? [Inappropriate content hidden]  I'm pretty sure the consequences of that would be less than favorable.   I know that it has devalued The Hosts Forum as a whole for me.  

[Inapproprioate content hidden]

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Well, there you go, that is what is so disappointing about this forum. None of us are being paid for this, we try to be helpful to others, we spend our time and our effort for what.....a slap in the face!

Of the 9 comments offered before this post I would have placed 7 of them in the helpfull bracket in that they offered advice....

@Jamie and @Annette76 offered a solution in setting up another site, quick and easy!

The poster came here and asked the question, 'Was it bad form to cancel'....she asked the question and the rest of the posts just explained why it was and what the consequences would be.

@Cormac0 chimed in with a constructive thought and @Andrea9 gave her usuall level headed considered response.

I guess it would be lovely to have a sixth sense to pick these posts when they come in and just ignore them and concentrate our time on those who really do need help...... or at least do not turn around and kick us in the but!!

"I won't be bothered coming here again, most likely."........

OK, cool, that will help all of us!

Cheers.....Rob

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Allison

On a positive note, since your visitor has been promoted to a friend of a friend (she was originally a friend of a friend of a friend) you may consider lettering her stay for free, since it is apparent to me, your motivation is purely altruistic.

With regards to your “Ass shattery” comment, while personally not offended, I am offended on behalf of @Yen-and-Robin0 @Andrea0 @David0 @Mark0 @Annette0 et al whom, I know from experience give their time and experience to very many appreciative Hosts, I being one of them.

I’m calling on you @Allison0 to apologise to my fellow hosts for such an outrageous and unwarranted comment.

Yours Sincerely

A Host

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII