awful experience of lying host

Simona119
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

awful experience of lying host

Hi fellow travellers,

I have to report something which left me utterly speechless, hopefully to avoid future bad experiences to some of you.

After many years of happily using Airbnb for my trips I had the first not so good experience lately when I visited Manchester. I stayed in this accomodation

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/13768557

The accomodation itself wasn't at the highest standard - primarily, bed wasn't comfortable - but that would not have been an issue to report so much when actually the communication with the host was very difficult and full of inconsistencies. I don't want to go in too many details here, 'cause you can read my review on the host's page when I explained how we basically never heard of them not even to check if we had any issue at the arrival - we had -, which to me is simply basic good hosting and shouldn't be an optional for a community like Airbnb. 

The issue I want to present here is that the host replied to my review by stating the complete untrue story that we arrived at 1am to make up for their lack of regard, when, actually, we were at the apartment at the time agreed with them, which was 11pm. I can't believe - forgive my naivety, luckily this was the first time something like that happen to me - it is possible to lie that openly, ultimately to avoid address a polite criticism which should be replied respectfully and with a humble attitude. Of course I didn't notice the reply until now when it is too late to correct the lie directly on the review thread, which is why I entrust this board to hopefully create more awareness about the wrongful attitude of someone who shouldn't, in my opinion, be allowed to act this way in a beautiful virtual place like Airbnb. I hope this message will reach many of you to avoid future disappointments. Simona

3 Replies 3
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Hi @Simona119

sorry for you, that you had that experience. The way of granting access to the apartment seems very strange. Your review makes it clear and according to the last review on top, the host keeps doing that. 

I would be worried too, if I'm supposed to wait for an unforseable time for another resident to use the door and then maybe facing the dilemma to have no keys or break open a letterbox in a foreign country. Whoever reads the two reviews, will be duly warned. 

You did have an influence, the next person mentioned that the host now inquires about the wellbeing of their guests. 

As for your question about lying, I would say to you as a guest, what I say to hosts:

The first review should be truthful and neutral if possible. The answer is not an answer to the first review, but a space for damage control. You did not discover the answer quickly, airbnb did not send you a notice, because it's no longer of interest to you. Yu cannot answer to it any way. There is only one answer, no back and forth haggling. 

See it from the host's side: The apartment looks nice, but very cold. That means, the host is not the  emotional type and probably has no imagination about other person's worries. Simply is not equipped mentally to imagine such things. Now that you told the host about it, he/she improved one aspect already. finding a solution for the key question seems a bit more difficult.

So, there is this nice listing, with a damaging review about a careless host. To defuse this bomb, he/she writes that you arrived very late. Not the best idea, especially if it's not true, but it does you no damage either and it seemed a good idea to the host to do, to keep the business alive. I would not see that as lying, like saying it in a personal confrontation, in a dispute about a refund etc. It's more like a not truthful advertisement. We all know that companies lie about their products to sell them, but it does not offend us like a lie to our face does. 

If you want to tell the person, that you think it's not acceptable to do it, you still can write a message via the system. 

If you think, the host should not keep hosting, you have to contact airbnb about it. 

From my experience with guests I took in at the last minute, late in the evening, airbnb cancels a reservation if you do not get access, no penalties for you, but for the host it counts like the host cancelled and he has penalties. If help is needed, airbnb helps to find another place and adds a small sum as credit. 

Good luck for your next travels (

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Simona119  You wrote that a sign of good hosting is for the host to contact you upon arrival to make sure that everything is as it should be, and prehaps meet them in person? This is not always the case when you book an entire house or appartment. In my case, the guests are given a keyless entry code, my contact information and a request to notify me if there are any questions or problems. I am always available via email, phone or text. I can be at the listing in 5 minutes, or someone in my family can. It is not a requirement of good hosting for the host to be present. I find very often that guests who rent my listing do so because they prefer their privacy and freedom over having to be sociable and accountable for in and out times at a B & B. The few guests who request to meet me I do welcome personally, if I can. Or I ask them for a convenient time to do that.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

hello @Simona119 , I'm glad you posted here - most posts here are from hosts posting about things they don't like or have questions about regarding Airbnb's policies, and then also posts about bad guest behavior. So, your post provides a good balance, to see that there is also crummy behavior by hosts out there! Hosts here in the forum are the ones that take hospitality seriously and are always looking for ways to improve and make things better. So it's good for us to get a reminder that not all hosts are like that.

Interesting to note that I couldn't see the host's response  to your review when on the Airbnb app, and as I think most people these days are on the app, so there already is some "damage control", if you're worried that people might doubt the validity of your review. But I saw the host's response via desktop on their website: I totally understand that you are upset about her saying you arrived at 1 am when that is not true. Yes, to me those kind of people are terrible hosts! Sure wish Airbnb would find a way to delist them.

The issue with the check in problems got repeated by many other guests, and the star ratings of the host reflect that she is utterly lacking in hospitality. So all in all, it is a reflection on HER, not  you: trust me, other users can see right through her shallow response to you. She posted there as Sofia, while in the last review of her listing, someone refers to her as Ella, so clearly, there is no responsible hosting! You did your fellow travelers a favor by posting a truthful review, others echoed it, so you are appreciated there! I certainly would not book her place.

Also, keep in mind that mostly only other potential guests are looking at this listing and the reviews, not other hosts. Hosts will be looking at your profile page when you request to stay with them, they wouldn't even be able to get back to that host's page, as she has not left a review for you. On your profile page there are only lovely reviews, you got nothing to worry about!

Hope your next stay will be a good one. Happy travelling!