cancelations

Answered!
Frank93
Level 2
Jackson, WY

cancelations

I had a guest book a reservation through the instant booking feature.  Within the hour the guest contacted me and said his travel companions can't make the dates requested and due to the high cost to him (non-refundable fees) of this cancelation he asked that I cancel the reservation from my side.  If I do this the guests gets his fees back.   I figured OK - I can do that - however, after seeing the fee(small) that I will pay and the other "punishments" from AirBnB (no superhost status for a year plus a notification on my review page stating that I canceled the reservation) I now wonder if I should cancel from my side.  This is the first request from a guest to have me cancel so that the guest is not monetarily punished.  How have others hosts handled a request like this?  I have had to cancel one other reservation request so my superhost status is already compromised.  Thank you.

1 Best Answer

Thank you for your reply it helped my make a decision as to what to do.  I'm bummed my guest isn't happy but as you say - it isn't my fault or responsibility. 

View Best Answer in original post

78 Replies 78
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Frank93, it wasn't your mistake in this case. It was the guest's. There is no reason you should take the hit. If his friends who backed out are reasonable, they will reimburse him for his service fee. But in any case, you have done all you can, I think.

Thank you for your reply it helped my make a decision as to what to do.  I'm bummed my guest isn't happy but as you say - it isn't my fault or responsibility. 

Oh my: I just went through the same thing: my potential guest  requested to cancel (within 48 hours)  as the travelling partner had major allergeries and needed a kitchen facility (they did not read my details thoroughly)

Me: good sport: responded to the guests request to cancel and I clicked on the button that says (?) accept.

It now looks  like I was the one who cancelled.

I have absolutely no idea what to expect as I have never cancelled on a guest before and I just recieved my super host status.

I find the lack of on line support lacking (maybe IT can develop some pop up buttons to link to immediate Q&A points.)

I dont mind losing the status, but I really hope I am not getting any fines or $ amounts dinged on any transaction.

?

you lost superhost for sure and for a whole year

There is definitely lack of IT help. We all have to come on here to ask questions as there is no way to contact anyone in the company.
I am going through a cancellation / refund issue myself. I'm about to post about it.

Amen. I’m frustrated by lack of support given and lack of a good phone number. 

Our guest cancelled and asked us to cancel from our side we had no idea we would be penalized !  and now there is no way of changing this on the site or letting anyone know?  surely this is not right?  We cancelled because we were asked too as they couldn't make it but now its a black mark against us!  can anyone help?

Juley0
Level 3
Danville, CA

Tell him you're sorry but he will need to cancel himself &. work with Airbnb about fees. I would suggest he divide the fees up between himself & others who cancelled.

Thomas219
Level 2
Helsinki, Finland

host asked to cancel, i did it  dumb huh, now i get on ly 181 back from 440 he say hes guest will stay longer there and he need me to cancel. i did it , ithinked tehre coming so e extra questions why i cancel.

i have all hes messages and hope get mon ey back full, and now i dobt have living place too. its hard to find here manila.

Thomas

Deborah160
Level 1
New York, NY

It was my first listing, someone set it up and put my calendar on instant booking. My bldg had an emergency major plumbing

repair. I had to cancle all those FAST instant bookings. They ALL got at least 3 weeks notice. I even notified them when the bldg 

was repaired first. NO ONE WROTE that~ So as a new host all you see are 3 reviews that i cancelled. Since i changed instant booking

but thats not really fair. Is there a way for me to dispute that or have it removed due to the emergency?

thanks in advance. 

Hi!

I have kind of the same problem. The guest asked for 2 nights that I had free in my calendar. Today she writes and says she needs to add another night and I said that it was not possible because the night she needs was already booked by another guest. Now she is asking me to please do not charge the penalty fee. I don´t know how to do that and I don´t want to cancel the reservation myself because I am a super host. Can I do someting to alter the cancellation fee and help her? or What can I do? HELP!!

Can your guest stay with you for the 2 nights already booked and stay with another Airbnb for the third night. 

I need help on this too, first time hosting and I did set up as the reservation to be approved by me by for some reason a guest was able to booked and got confirmed .

how can I cancelled this reservation because I'm having huge delay on new furniture.  Hope anyone can help thx .

Hi everyone, 

This is my first time joining a conversation so not sure am doing this right. I have had a guest who booked for 2 1/2 months. From the outset it was problematic. First she wanted the special coffee machine. Then she wanted a glass bottle for water for fridge, then wanted a special pillow, then said it was too noisy and we changed the windows and insulation, then she didn't want AC so even with window change (which admittedly she didn't request per se) she still felt too noisy, then we said ok we would release you from strict policy and reimburse. Then 15 days into the booking, she said oh the wifi is insecure. Then we looked for tech guy who installed the system who of course was on August vacation and hasn't returned. Then she cancelled and is asking for one week money back from what was a 2 1/2 month reservation, down to one month and now this. So my question of course is, how to respond, what to do and also the constant fear of the review. Note we are superhosts and none of this has ever happened before. Of course, we had some issues with guests but within the sphere of reason. I would like suggestions on how to answer this professionally and how not to take it so much to heart as we work very very hard to help guests in every possible way. Any suggestions will really be helpful