canellation policy

Leon78
Level 2
Launching Place, Australia

canellation policy

guest books 8:00 am for tonite. Room is blocked but I can take other booking both guests turn up as theyav 24 hours to confirm. Ridiculous

11 Replies 11
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi

This is not right @Leon78

If the guest BOOKED, it is confirmed and paid for.

If it is a request to book, YOU have the option to block it to the person that requested or leave it open. The guest that pays first get the room.

Also, you can put a rule that the guestes need to book at least 24 hours in advance - no same day booking.

Leon78
Level 2

so I can put in a rule ? how does that apply in terms and conditions ?

Leon78
Level 2

four of us have now read what you wrote and it does not make sense

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Leon78 your post is not clear. Do you mean that a guest showed up without a confirmed booking?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1210/how-do-i-edit-my-reservation-preferences

Leon78
Level 2

what I am saying is Jill requests to stay to night at 8.30 am, I accept the request, Jill has 24 hours to confirm the booking. Jack  requests to stay tonight at 9.00am , I accept the request, Jack has 24 hours to confirm the booking.  At 5.00 pm books the room, all in the guidlines. I then have to inform Jack that the room is no longer available.

Jack may have been a potential regular or even long term guest. Do you think that he would consider or recommend me as a viable host in the future?

I like Airbnb, in fact read ALL my reviews, I have made many freinds and keep in touch, even visiting some of them overseas.

What I am trying to point out bookings should be confirmed within at least a hour of acceptence to avoid dissapointing anyone.

Leon, House in Launching Place, Victoria Australia

@Leon78 if you wanted to keep the time blocked for Jack, you had the option to do so when you approved his inquiry. Otherwise, when Jack received your approval of his inquiry, he got a clear message from Airbnb that someone else could book before him if he didn't book quickly. You could also inform guests when you approve their inquiry that you will only decline other booking requests for one hour. You can also not accept same-day bookings (see link in my message above). All of this is completely under your control.

Leon78
Level 2

so how was I to know that Airbnb sent a clear message to guests?. I have in fact just accepted a same day booking. Please explain explain why I got a $192 'fine' for cancelling a $120 reservation FIVE MONTHS in advance

@Leon78   It doesn't even matter if you knew that Airbnb sends that clear message to guests- I didn't know that either. But an approved and confirmed booking takes precedence- first come, first served. Whoever pays first gets it. You can always message  "Jack" to say that you're sorry, explain to him that it was out of your control, that's how the site works automatically. But an approved booking awaiting payment should block your calendar from anyone else booking, so I don't know what happened there, it sounds like a glitch.

Hosts get fined whenever they cancel a reservation, doesn't matter if it was 5 months out and the guest was okay with it. Totally unfair, but that's how it works. If you need to cancel a reservation, and it's for one of Airbnb's extenuating circumstances, or to remove a bad guest, you should always call them first and let them handle the cancellation, so you don't get penalized. I don't know your reason for the cancellation, but you could always call and explain why you had to, maybe they'll remove the penalty. But if it's just because you didn't get around to blocking days on your calendar, or you realized it's a holiday or event time on which you could raise the price , that's on the host.

Leon78
Level 2

CALL Airbnb, are you kidding me? you try it and see how long it takes and if you do get thru see if you get a satifactory outcome

@Leon78  You asked for help and advice here, but you're answering the hosts who've tried to assist you as if you're mad at us or we're accusing you of something.

Yes, Airbnb can be difficult and frustrating to get ahold of, we all know that, but lots of hosts manage to do it, and are sometimes pleasantly surprised by the assistance they received ( and sometimes not). If you talk to support with the attitude you show here, it's true, you are not likely to get a satisfactory outcome. I was just informing you of the procedure you would have to use to cancel without being penalized. I didn't make up the rules.

Leon78
Level 2

I am not mad at anyone and don't feel accused of anything but your statement " yes Airbnb can be difficult and frustrating" sums it up . It is a SERVICE industry. I have been involved in business for years and I would ensure that I or any of my staff would not be Difficult or Frustrating to my customers