check out time

Cabin-For-Two0
Level 2
Kopavogur, Iceland

check out time

Hi! I have been host for about five years and never had a problem with check out time, most of my guests leave early. But this summer so many guests do not respect out time. They just sit out or inside, take a shower after check out time, even take a walk and so on. What can you recommend that I say or do to those guests? I do not want to be rude and like my guests to be comfortable but I have more house to take care of and time is very important to me.Best regards Margret

35 Replies 35

Thanks for your suggestions. We have a beautiful beachfront property my guests love the place, on the other hand they do not want to leave on time. What will you do if most of your guests will not depart couple of hours after check out time? 

Hi @Andras0. Thank you for your reply and advice. It is very clear on my listings that checkout time is at 11 am. So I am surpriced if that does not show up. 

Oddly, @Cabin-For-Two0, one listing, Apartment with 2 Rooms, does not have any check in or check out time.  The others do.  Must be a mistake.

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Cabin-For-Two0 My checkout time states 10am on the guests initial booking confirmation but when I look at the guests booking through my phone the day of checkout it says checkout by 4pm. I've tried to explain this to Airbnb but it appears to be an issue on the App which they can't view.

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

After my recent post I've updated my app and the issue with the checkout time is resolved. 

Catherine827
Level 10
Northern Territory, Australia

Is your clientele / guest base changing?  Change in air flights in your area? 

For me I request a minimum two day stay which can avoid the prolonged departure. 

I also recount their booking in Airbnb messages to ensure their dates for departure are correct, including the departure time.

Departures:

On my initial “hello” response to a new booking, I recount eg: the dates & number of nights accommodation which sometimes is incorrectly booked. This recount includes the departure eg: “on Sunday morning the 8th July of ..... at 10am.”   I never do back to back bookings as I also work; but I take each guests situation in to play.  

If I’m happy for them to stay later, I let them know in advance. But still being specific with the departure time. If they have a 10pm- 2am departure and ask for a significantly later checkout, I offer options.

1. I’m sorry but I’m unable to offer you a later check out time, so check out will need to be at “time”  .... however, you can leave your luggage with me, outside the Airbnb space, and do a quick pick up at an agreed time. (Collect the keys at checkout/departure time.)

2. If however, you are wishing to stay late due to your “red eye” flight departure, I can happily offer you the departure day at a 50% discount. You get to utilise the Airbnb space till your departure to the airport at 10pm. 

The second option is happily taken up by most groups and families with children. They get to swim, play, feed, rest or shower before the airport. I change my pricing for the day concerned and send a reservation alteration to them. 

Win - Win

Arrivals:

This also applies to guests arriving at dawn on international flights who would like an earlier checkin, rather then the normal 2pm. Each case is different and an hour difference is not of great concern to me. However, half a day is, so I offer them immediate checkin with starter breakfast cereals and eggs on arrival for their self catering, if they book the evening before. I get a half day rate extra cash, less the food and power used. They do not have to buy breakfast for a family at retail prices, or drive around when overtired.

Same again, I alter the price for the half day and send an alteration request.

Win-Win.

I will often block 2 days with a new booking either side of arrival/ departure until times are clarified. This gives some flexibility to the booking options. If not needed, then I unblock the days.  I will also block a day in front if not already booked, during the changes and acceptance period of an “altered” booking to avoid an “instant book” jumping in and causing a disaster to my calendar! Lol...