collecting of addition optional fees

collecting of addition optional fees

hi,

unfortunately since my home is in the mountains, broadband internet is charged by the GB.  What is the best way I can collect from guests in case they want to pay for this?   I won't know their amount of total GB usage during their stay until after their stay?

Thanks everyone!

Doug

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Hmm, tough one.  On one hand, many people expect wifi, but on the other hand, I would be inclined to just password protect the router and not allow wifi access for simplicity.

Sounds like you have a lovely setting in the mountains. Many guests can use their own cell data plan. Perhap others could be directed to an Internet cafe. I would not want the headache of billing after a stay. But if you decide to do so, you can use the resolution center. 

Make it clear in the listing that internet service is based on a usage and will be billed after the guest's stay.  If they want to use your broadband, you will want to come up with a way to show them exactly what their usage is before they start using and after they start using - like a screen shot of the billing the day they check in and a screen shot of the billing at the end of each day.  OR you can "estimate" the amount people use and charge that flat amount total each day if they want to use the service (this is what hotels do if they charge).  In both cases, you use the Resolution Center to collect the extra fees.  Hint: make sure you send the guest a message through the Airbnb system that shows your agreement for them to pay for usage.  

We have a home on the lake and I'd like to carve out an optional fee for guests who want to use our kayak(s), lifevests, oars, etc.  We have just started hosting and have those in our description now as available.  Right now, for the summer I plan to up the nightly rental once we get a few more reviews.  But not everyone will want to use the water toys and so I'd hate to price myself too high and lose people who are going to be a lot less trouble because all they do is swim/float.  I've seen other requests for the ability to price an "optional" service, such as use of a hot tub.  But I couldn't find an answer -- not sure a good one exists other than to put something in the description and then monkey around with pricing through a special offer.  Seems like a lot of extra work ABB could solve.  They're so big on offering "experiences" now, what would be great is if a host could offer a menu of options  -- such as teaching someone to water ski, or guiding them on a hike -- all as part of what we offer as a host at this listing.  But to the point, my simple question is whether or not the app allows for a breakout of an optional fee so a guest can choose?  Thanks anyone!

Problems can arise with liability so I assume most people pass on providing those facilities.

David

@David126 perhaps it would stop some but im not concerned about liability for a sit-on-top kayak they paddle themselves. But the extra work, use of towels, etc., is something I'd like to do as an optional charge.  Is there a way to do that that you know of?

The one many ask for is a pet fee. And there is no box for that.

Basically Special Offer or a cash arrangement.

I do accept your logic that if people are selling experiances then there should be an easier way of collecting.

David