college students requesting rental

college students requesting rental

We are new (first guests arriving this weekend) and we rec'd our 3rd request for a booking in Feb.  First 2 we loved their reviews and they have stayed at Airbnb's many times so looking forward to their stays.  This 3rd request is from a college student who wants to bring 3 of his buddies for a week of skiing that's close to our house.  Because this is our house, I'm having a bad feeling about 4 college kids staying a full week (we live 11 hours away) and rely on a neighbor 1/2 mile away to help us.  One of the problems is I accidently "pre-approved" this without thinking this through.  Have the more "seasoned" renters here gone through something like this before and if so, what is your recommendations.  I truly rely on my gut feelings, and this one is hurting... I wish I had known about the community prior, I've learned so much in these posts already of things I need to do and change for future guests.  Anyone have advice on this one?

Bob

19 Replies 19
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Daryle0  Your listing is beautiful!  You absolutely should have a Security Deposit of at least $500.  Even the best guest can have an accident and cause damage.  Air BNB does not collect the SD up front, but retains the ability to access the payment card should a claim be justified.

Does the booking guest have reviews?  Are you able to greet and orient them to the home?  Do you have any way to monitor who enters the home?  When you have a whole home listed you need to protect it from the misuse by guests.  If you feel confident about these guests, you should message them that no unregistered guests are allowed on the property.  If that rule is not on your listing, put it there.  No parties does not really hold much weight if you cannot monitor the home.  It just allows you to give a negative review if the guest has a party.

Hope this helps.

Linda, thank you so much for your wonderful advise. After looking on this Community site, I went ahead and put in a deposit of $500. I looked at a few houses in the area and got my number from them. I am definitely going to add the comment "no unregistered guests are allowed on the property". A great suggestion; I love this site!! I do have a ring door bell, but I don't have monitors in the house. Is there one that people would suggest that can be accessed on IOS?

After posting last night about my concern about college students staying here, I chose to deny her request. By this time it was getting late (around midnight), but I didn't want to fret over the request all night. About a half an hour later, she responded in a very cordial manner, that she would like me to reconsider her request and that they were all very responsible 22 year olds and that they would leave my house better then they found it. She also stated: "I promise you there will be no damage to your home." I told her I would think about it and let her know in the morning. What are you all thinking? I am having second thoughts, and maybe I should allow her to rent the house??!!?? This is so much harder then I thought...

If their boyfriends attend the Air Force Academy, you should be fine.  I live in Annapolis, home of the Naval Academy, and the kind of kids that attend the US military academies  are with few exceptions outstanding young people, quite mature,  and respectful. It is doubtful that the young men would have overnight leave to stay with their girl friends ... they are very tightly controlled. When they are allowed off the academy grounds, it is generally just during the day, and they report back to the academy at night; besides any damage they caused would threaten their appointments at the academy.  I would totally believe the young woman.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Daryle0

You do know don't you that neither the deposit nor your new house rule will affect your current booking? It will only affect any new bookings going forward.

The reality is that these girls will have their boyfriends over to stay. Are you happy for 12 people to stay at your property and only six people pay.

Can you accommodate 12 and would you want to?

Personally I would say no.

Daryle0
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

I didn't think about the new rules and deposit affecting only future bookings, but I guess that makes since.

Thank you, Helen!