declining a guest because of gut instinct

declining a guest because of gut instinct

I had a booking request from a man in April. After reading the reviews left for him and, more importantly the reviews he had left for his multiple hosts, I declined. Reviews for him suggested he was very demanding, needed constant company and liked to tell his life story and problems.  Almost every review he has left for hosts includes an unnecessarily negative comment (is it really necessary to say that a room listed as "Tiny room with double bed" is 'cramped' or that the lack of drier was problematic when a host had kindly given him permission to use her washing machine, over and above what was available in her listing?).
When I declined in April he made repeated attempts to get me to change my mind and was rude when I refused, even though I had been extremely polite and tactful about my reasons.  Since then two hosts that I know that have had him to stay have told me they felt very uncomfortable with his over familiarity and suspect that he has mental health problems. 
A few weeks ago he made another request, which I declined on the grounds that I did not feel comfortable with this guest.
Yesterday Airbnb suspended my listing, citing that I had declined too many requests (despite the fact that I had guests for 20 nights out of 31 in July and 26 nights in August...I also work). They only agreed to re-list my rooms when I ticked the box promising to accept more bookings, and I was warned that it would be suspended immediately if I declined a booking without good reason.
Today, this man has made another booking request. I feel that he is just antagonising me now as I made it quite clear I didn't think my home was a good fit for him. I have declined again and am now waiting for my listing to be suspended>
As a single woman, I rely on gut instinct to decide whether to allow a man to stay in my home or not. This man, for many reasons, makes me feel extremely uncomfortable, but I feel like Airbnb are pressuring me to accept bookings. 
Is there anyway to block a host from contacting you?

7 Replies 7
Julie131
Level 5
Plano, TX

Call AirBNB and tell them what is going on and tell them they need to look at this guest and his reviews and behavior.  I agree with you, I would not want that person in my home either.  

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Flag his behaviour, all you can really do.

David

Contact Air BnB! This is so upsetting and I'm sure so stressful, really hope you get this taken care of! Best of luck
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Flag his account immediately and provide ample reason for doing so!  Then call Airbnb to report him as well.  Sounds like a nut job.

Judith10
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Mo, I'm curious whether your issue with Airbnb was resolved?
I have noticed that whenever I decline a guest for similar reasons, Airbnb's immediate automatic come-back is always on the side of the guest, suggesting I need to adjust my listing. 

You press button A they send you message 1, nothing personal about it, best to select the reason that produces the best response in the system.

David

@Judith10  You're just receiving automated responses from Airbnb depending on what reason you give for declining your guest.  No worries.