do i need to provide breakfast

Jan13
Level 3
Baylys Beach, New Zealand

do i need to provide breakfast

I am planning a holiday and wanting to stay at Airbnb places.

I am a host myself and this is a new adventure for me, being a guest.

I have just looked at a place however, breakfast is NOT provided. Nothing provided so I cna make my own. 

I thought bnb meant bed and breakfast.

How come a host can be on this site and not provide breakfast? That's the point of staying at a bnb surely.

Interested in Airbnb thoughts. 

189 Replies 189
Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Brett3 swap your fresh milk with powdered milk. It has a longer shelf life and doesn't need a fridge!

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Hello @Jan13 

I don't provide any food or something to drink anymore.

It's very strange but the less effort the higher the rating.

Those who get something extra are the ones who gives me a lower rating.

When guests need to pay for something extra they tend to apriciate it way more and nothing goes to waste anymore especially when serving breakfast.

Trowing food away while others don't have money to buy food doesn't feel right so that's also something to reconsider serving breakfast. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

For those of you reading this topic, please do remember there's many a great simple recipe where one can make use of unused breakfast cereals rather than throwing them out.

Some of those recipes are non bake, and don't need the oven to cook them.

We all to often make the excuse, "I don't have time" alas we all have time to go to the supermarket and do whatever else in one's day.

Make time, chill out and enjoy, you may even find and establish a new talent!!

It's easy enough to put the finished product in the freezer and store them that way for future use including your own personal use or that of guests who you know will appreciate some home made baking.

Milk can be used to make things like custard or milkshakes , smoothies etc

Alternatively, take the unused portion, or finished baking into work or pop next door to a neighbour who may not be so fortunate, or lives on their own who may appreciate a friendly thoughtful deed.

In today's day and age there's far to much unnecessary waste when there should be minimal waste.

All the best.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen427  What if it's not "I don't have time", but "I hate cooking"?  🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Yes @Sarah977  I gather you don't like cooking, however I mentioned an alternative for those people to.

No harm in giving away unused food to local churches and community groups.

We have a few  "Free Food stands" in our area, do you have one in yours?

Perhaps it's something that others in the community may like to start.

They are another great neighourhood alternative and option for passing on unused or unwanted food items.

@Helen427  I'm not a food waster at all- it would pain me to throw perfectly good food away. Plus I have a compost bin and a veggie garden, so any small leftovers that I can't find a use for at least turn back into soil and nutrients to feed the garden. The dog is happy to get leftovers as well, as long as they aren't veggies 🙂 Guests have left food they bought while staying that I don't eat, but I've always found a neighbor or someone who was happy to take it.

I don't provide breakfast items for my guests because they aren't really interested in breakfasting here. Most are out the door by the time I get up, off to enjoy eating in one of the hundreds of cafes and restaurants here and hitting the beach. They might make coffee or tea before, but that's about it. All my guests have been hip to the fact that my place is budget-priced and therefore there won't be a whole lot of extras. Some even buy and leave a bag of coffee for me even though I tell them it's provided free of charge. And if I have a bowlful of mangos because they're dripping off the trees, or bunches of bananas from my own banana plants, they are more than welcome to partake. They also can use my oil, salt, pepper and spices when they cook, and I always offer them a snack when they arrive unless they protest that they have recently eaten and really aren't hungry.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Here's the email that launched Airbnb back in 2007 - from the TED Talks website. 

When the founders gave the company a name, it represented what they were doing *at that time*. Since then, the company has expanded vastly, from one spot in San Francisco, to a global enterprise. There's no question that comes with a raft of issues, including local ordinances, guest preferences, host location and preferences, local amenities and the like. 

Nobody would be "required" to provide breakfast, today, in 2019, any more than being "required" to provide a "sleeping mat" on the floor, or "wireless internet" in a yurt. It's a choice. email to chesky .jpg

Di73
Level 1
England, GB

I completely agree that the second b stands for breakfast. Just provided, not served! Recently stayed at a LUXURY airbnb in Belgravia, London at  £265.60 for one night for 2 people and not even a pint of milk was provided. Fortunately I enquired first and was told there was a supermarket round the corner so that “wouldn’t be a problem.” Really?

@Di73  It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with what the second b stands for. The fact is, that Airbnb hosts are given the choice whether to provide breakfast or not, that's how the platform works, so if you want a place that provides breakfast, it's up to you to book a listing that says they do, not simply assume or expect it.

Yes. That’s why it is called Bed and Breakfast. I think the new generation of owners never learned what the last “b” meant so they just opened a short term rental and borrowed the term. What if IHOP didn’t serve pancakes?