do i need to provide breakfast

Jan13
Level 3
Baylys Beach, New Zealand

do i need to provide breakfast

I am planning a holiday and wanting to stay at Airbnb places.

I am a host myself and this is a new adventure for me, being a guest.

I have just looked at a place however, breakfast is NOT provided. Nothing provided so I cna make my own. 

I thought bnb meant bed and breakfast.

How come a host can be on this site and not provide breakfast? That's the point of staying at a bnb surely.

Interested in Airbnb thoughts. 

189 Replies 189

I agree my 1st experience had breakfast now in one that doesn't  but  the one I'm in now dosnt .

I thought bnb would give breakfast 

@Shelly170  The traditional meaning of BnB was bed and breakfast, for sure. But "Airbnb" is just a company name. The Air originally meant "air mattress", as the CEO started the company by putting an air mattress in his living room, or something like that, but that certainly doesn't mean that all Airbnbs only provide guests with an air mattress on the floor, and I think most guests would be distressed to find that that was their sleeping accommodation. 

Some hosts provide some light breakfast offereings, like granola, milk and fruit, some offer a cooked breakfast, some offer none at all. Also the original idea was home-sharing, whereas now, while there are many home-shares listed, Airbnb is also full of entire homes for rent with off-site hosts. Certainly no one comes around to make breakfast for the guests in those.

All Airbnbs are different in what they provide, from luxury accommodations with lots of amenities, to simple private rooms where you would only be provided a towel and soap.

So it's really important for guests to really read through the listing description and click on the amenities section to see what is provided (you'll find whether breakfast is offered in the Amenities list) and if you need any clarification, message the host before booking. Never assume that what you got in the last Airbnb is what you can expect in the next, but all should be clear by reading the listing info. 

You dont sound very happy in your hospitality job. It seems you think it's a hassle to look after your guests! 

Its misleading and dubious to call themselves bnb's.  Every host that doesn't provide should be suede for false advertising.  BNB means BED AND BREAKFAST. If you're a host that doesn't have breakfast then you're in the wrong business.  Is it laziness or just simple hatred for the human race that runs literally on food and sleep.  Making the guests find a supermarket after long travel is simply rude and anti hospitality.

@Burak31  Hosts don't call themselves B&B's. The name of the company is AirBnB. It's just a name, if you have issue with that, you should be taking it up with the company, not the hosts. A car rental company could call themselves Elite Car Rentals, but their rental cars may not be what anyone would call "elite".

There is no requirement to provide breakfast as an Airbnb host. If you would like to book a place that provides breakfast, then there are plenty who do- you are free to book one. 

I don't offer breakfast because the guests I get aren't interested in breakfast- a cup of coffee or tea and they want to go out and about and check out the hundreds of cafe's and restaurants in town. If I stocked breakfast food, it would all end up going bad before it got eaten. Many hosts have said they used to offer breakfast, but people didn't want it, so they ended up having to throw out lots of food.

And it costs $ to provide breakfast- are you willing to pay a higher price for a place which includes breakfast? Guests these days seem to expect to pay hostel prices for a private room in a nice home, but expect to be treated like royalty.

Here in Ontario Canada you cannot offer food because you will be considered a restaurant. I am delighted, because I am not a morning person. People can, will and do get fussy about how their eggs are done, etc. And I don't have the patience. 

However you can go to McDonald's and order eggs and bacon for dirt cheap!

@Mandi-S-Just-Business-Ro0  Same here- not a morning person at all. My first meal of the day is usually at what most people would consider lunchtime. And I'm very  fussy about my eggs- I never go out for breakfast because it's embarrassing to have to send them back to the kitchen not once but twice because the chef simply refuses to believe I want them that cooked. The only person who can cook eggs for me is my granddaughter, who likes them exactly as I do.

Most of my guests are up and out before I even get out of bed. My days of getting up early to make breakfast ended when my youngest daughter was about 5 and could get herself a bowl of cereal without spilling the milk.

Elite is a verb and so its subjective. Bed and Breakfast are nouns and not left up to interpretation. It means bed and breakfast.  Do you ask your guests if they are interested in pooping at your place? Or going to take showers? Or want clean sheets?  Do you not put out toilet paper or towels? Do you ask them if they want a bed? Or is that left up to interpretation?  I feel bad for your guests.  Cost are set by the hosts so yes indeed you can charge more. Wow! Breakthru!  Bed and breakfasts and hotels have been doing it forever. Sounds like you're just cheap and not in it to provide comfort for your guests?  There are also many food items that don't go bad. Cereal for one. Farm fresh eggs, pasta rice, pop corn, frozen bagels, frozen bacon, oatmeal, canned corn-beef hash... so many things. Perhaps its lazyness on your part.   It must be stated what youre not providing because yes it is implied that there will be breakfast  because your a host on AIRBNB.  You provably make them bring their own generators for electricity too huh?  If you're that worried about perishables eat the leftovers you cheapskate 

Excuse me @Burak31 , (currently at Level 1).

You have entered the conversation in a very powerful way, and expressed yourself in a very forceful, dogmatic and rude manner towards other hosts including using a number of insulting, derogatory terms towards them.

This is a forum whose purpose is learning through respectful, sharing and exchange. 

It is possible to express a point of view, to relate experiences and beliefs, without insult.

Personal attacks and name-calling are contrary to the guidelines of polite discourse, and community forums such as this. All contributers should feel safe to participate without being flamed.

A sincere welcome to the community. I see that you are a relatively new member, your passion and enthusiasm is commendable. However hospitality is not a noun, verb or virtue, to be dished out selectively to one's patrons. Our peers are also deserving of good manners and respect.

Please consider spending more time reading a wide range of opinions and contributions, before making such passionate and unneccesarily offensive comments to your fellow hosts.

A profile which demonstrates little more experience hosting and traveling with Airbnb would earn your more credibility and hopefully it would refine  the way you choose to express yourself. 

Sincere regards to you and others who are participating in good faith.

Christine from Wombat's Studio Glenbrook 

I’ve been using Airbnb since 2012 I just been using my girlfriends or my friends accounts when we rent so your attempt at a pejorative fails @Christine1. I like to use it’s utilities like farmstay.com. Furthermore cheapskate as another adjective which can be left up to interpretation and isn’t aggressive it’s a personal opinion and would only be found offensive if it’s true. As the old adage says “ the customer is always right”  but apparently it’s you @Christine1.  What @Sarah977  fails to understand, besides how to answer a question, is that people who don’t have standards or know good quality will leave good feedback. I doubt many of her guests have stayed in a New England Airbnb or ones in Colorado or Joshua tree where I have, that have all provided breakfast. I know it’s not a requirement I don’t use the word host as if you’re doing anything I know it’s not a requirement I don’t use the word host as if you’re doing anything more than collecting money like a cashier.  My point is it that it should not be called Airbnb if there’s no breakfast.  And yes I expect there to be air also 

@Burak31 wrote:

I’ve been using Airbnb since 2012 I just been using my girlfriends or my friends accounts when we rent so your attempt at a pejorative fails @Christine1. I like to use it’s utilities like farmstay.com. Furthermore cheapskate as another adjective which can be left up to interpretation and isn’t aggressive it’s a personal opinion and would only be found offensive if it’s true. As the old adage says “ the customer is always right”  but apparently it’s you @Christine1.  What @Sarah977  fails to understand, besides how to answer a question, is that people who don’t have standards or know good quality will leave good feedback. I doubt many of her guests have stayed in a New England Airbnb or ones in Colorado or Joshua tree where I have, that have all provided breakfast. I know it’s not a requirement I don’t use the word host as if you’re doing anything I know it’s not a requirement I don’t use the word host as if you’re doing anything more than collecting money like a cashier.  My point is it that it should not be called Airbnb if there’s no breakfast.  And yes I expect there to be air also 

@Burak31 

Now you have moved on to insulting Airbnb guests who choose to leave good reviews.

Although you maintain the customer is always right, you go on to state that people who don't have standards or know good quality will leave good feedback... according to your logic, highly ***** reviewed hosts must be the worst hosts  of all;

You suggest guests are ignorant,  don't know what good standards are, and don't have experience of quality; and if there is no onsite breakfast [due to local restrictions or any other legitimate reason] hosts are just cashiers. 

Re: cheapskate

pronounce as
/ˈtʃiːpskeɪt/
noun_INFORMAL
noun: cheapskate; plural noun: cheapskates
a miserly person.
"she told him he was a cheapskate"
Origin

late 19th century (originally US): from cheap + skate3.

@Burak31 ,

Seriously? I think we all know an insult when we read it. 

Just because you have demonstrated your ignorance and lack of hosting and travel experience with Airbnb, doesn't mean you haven't got the power to cause offense when you you make sweeping generalisations. 

I apologise for your rudeness.

Hopefully there is no-one else you would like to insult and you will remain content with having made your generalisations about @Sarah977 's guests. Somehow you felt qualified to make derogatory inferences about their lack of travel experience. 

How nice that you have 1 positive review on your account since you signed up for individual membership in 2014.

Well done, you have every right to feel proud of this achievement. I certainly hope you ate all your breakfast. #: ) Was the review credible?

"My point is it that it should not be called Airbnb if there’s no breakfast"

If that's how you really feel, maybe you should lobby the Airbnb founders about the issue, and stop insulting the rest of the community.

When you have successfully persuaded Airbnb to change its name, then you can get onto the people that run your other preferred farmstay.com, and have a chat with them about all the non-farming locations and activities operating under their business umbrella. They might care.

I stand by my earlier forum response, and double down with this comment. 

Please stop being so rude, your ignorance is showing.

Instead decide if you would like hot fragrant air, or a cool breeze with your bnb.

Regards,

Christine 

@Burak31  I told you, my guests aren't interested in having breakfast here- they come to be out and about and eat out and enjoy the town and the beaches. You don't need to feel bad for my guests because my guests have all been very appreciative of what I provide and all have left wonderful reviews. 

Who I feel bad for is you- your posts here are aggressive, rude, insulting, refuse to acknowledge that breakfast is not a requirement of Airbnb hosts and no one who reads your posts would ever want to host you.

@Burak31  And elite isn't a verb, it's an adjective.

@Sarah977 that’s the only thing you’re correct about and I was wrong about, it is an adjective. 

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I don't provide breakfast as I live near so many cafes and 5 min from a supermarket. I've a few hundred guests stay and not one complaint and I am a super host.  I've had people stay from all over the world and it would be too hard to cover the different types of food and dietary requirements for everyone...and I like to keep my costs low (about $20USD/night)

@Burak31 just wondering if you expect an Air-bed everywhere you stay? Like the name suggests?