drunk guest has vomited on the bed

drunk guest has vomited on the bed

I have a guest who is staying with me for 2 nights, sharing my apartment with me. Last night, her first night, she went out and got very drunk. She came home at 2.30am, vomited and passed out in the toilet. This morning, when I asked her about it, she was very apologetic. Now she has gone out for the day on a tour, expected to return about 7pm tonight. And I have just noticed that she has also vomited on the bed. 

So, I'm looking at cleaning costs for the doona as well as cleaning or replacement of the sheets and doona cover. As well as the prospect of having her here again for another night.

At the moment, I cannot find much sympathy for her and am inclined to leave the bed as it is for her to sleep in tonight. I want leave it up to her to 'come clean' about the mess she has left in the bed. I have no other doonas for her to use anyway.

So, what are my options? Is it reasonable to ask her to leave? If I do, what happens next? Can I ask her for $ to repair the damage? Is this security deposit a realistic option to use? I have a deposit that would cover the costs ($200) but have read that its difficult for hosts to access. Is this really true?

Theoretically she has one more night here.  What would you do?

Jane

6 Replies 6
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Like I told another person earlier... Take photos w/smartphone so location and timestamp are built-in to the photo.

THEN open a case w/AirBnB immeciately. You cannot access security deposit unless you open case within than 14 days after her stay OR after the next guest arrives! 

Take the things off the bed. Give her the basics (blanket...not a duvet or anything nice) sheets, etc... 

If she complains to AirBnB you will have a reason for having done so. She was sick on your furniture but well enough to go out for the day... hunh.

Many thanks for your advice Jann. I've been in touch with her, opened the case at the resolution centre, itemised the costs of cleaning and replacement etc. through the AirBnB system. She has agreed to the costs and paid for them, so all on track. Its going to be strange when she returns from her tour this evening!

Jane

John995
Level 1
McMurdo Station, Antarctica

Well, she also left you to clean up her nasty mess. She even left it on the bed and went out. That would prompt me to expell her from being welcome in my house. Get rid of her before she has another night - that's the first impression part. I'm not a host but I'm considering becoming one. That kind of behavior would not fly in my house. 

John, I seriously considered throwing her out. But I didn't. I had a long conversation with my guest after she arrived home. I also used the airbnb messaging system to communicate with her during the day she was out, and used the airbnb dispute resolution centre to charge her for cleaning etc. She accepted the charges without dispute. Turns out she wasnt used to drinking and only a few drinks following peer pressure. But she is so tiny, her body coundn't manage it at all. A big learning curve for her! She was deeply embarrased and I really felt that her embarrasment was punishment enough. I actually ended up admiring her for her honesty in her embarrasment- it was truly excruciating for her. So, believe it or not, I would readily welcome her into my home again. We all make mistakes.

But what is worth knowing is that immediately afterwards, my bookings and number of views completely flatlined for weeks, when previously my space was booming. This leads me to suspect that airbnb's algorithms don't favor hosts who use the dispute resolution system and I was dropped down in the list. Worth knowing! I would hesitate to use the dispute resolution system again. My bookings are only just returning to their previous levels now.....

@Jane361

I think your search ranking was just an coincidence. I noticed that our position in search is moving up and down all the time so after few inquiries and bookings in the same day there is a total silence for week or two  and then it is back again... 

Overall, I'd say you handled the situation very well. In this case, it was a total accident on her part. I don't think Airbnb wants to penalize you for using the dispute system though it's possible that you were penalized anyways. I have found the system to be glitchy. 

Definitely, take notes to see if you get the same results next time. I hope you won't need to use the dispute resolution and continue to get great booking.