guests threw a party, in flagrant violation of house rules, and airbnb took the guest's side

Ethan5
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

guests threw a party, in flagrant violation of house rules, and airbnb took the guest's side

I'm a Superhost, and have noise-sensitive neighbors.  Over the five years I've been hosting, I've made every effort to ensure that guests do not disturb neighbors.  I used to occasionally allow parties, at a much higher rate than for normal daily rentals.  I decided it was not worth the money, to disturb the neighborhood.   

I now have strict rules against gatherings, and a strict curfew time for outside hours (10pm-9am), since people hanging out in my yard at night wakes the neighbors.  This is all posted on the listing, so guests know before booking, and also explicitly in the house rules after booking.  I also communicate how important this is, directly to guests after booking.  It is written in my rules that violation of this most important rule will cause them to forfeit their security deposit.

Recently, in violaton of all this, a first-time Airbnb guest had people over, playing music and hanging out outside, from 1am-5am.  

Naturally, as I specify in the house rules, I asked for the money I would have made had I allowed parties, out of the security deposit.  (They also broke a guitar and made off with keys — I sent receipts for these things as well.)  The guest simply didn't respond at all.   So I clicked "Involve Airbnb", and sent all my documentation, including screenshots from my external security cameras, showing the people outside partying, with time stamps, going almost until dawn.  I also forwarded several of the irate emails and texts I received from neighbors (which I've had to pay off), threatening to shut down Airbnb in the city, etc.

Airbnb didn't reply, other than to say they had received my info and would ask if they needed more information.  I called weekly, wondering what was going on.  Finally, after FIVE weeks, Airbnb replied: they wouldn't cover anything other than the guitar and key repair.  Nothing.

I wrote to Airbnb: what is the point of having house rules if they aren't enforceable?  What is the point of charging 4x as much for parties (and then stopping this in order to be a good neighbor), if a normal nightly guest can simply have a party, ignore my requests for the security deposit, and not pay for it?  How am I, who has the kind of house and location that attracts partiers, to protect myself if I can't enforce it out of the security deposit? 

Airbnb's response was to send me the same cut-and-pasted email saying the Host Guarantee doesn't cover non-physical damages, they're glad to have me as a host, and that they were "glad they could resolve my issue."

I am so angry at Airbnb.  That they would choose to protect an irresponsible first-time guest over a Superhost whose been on their platform making them money for five years — it's shocking.  Their Host Guarantee is a sham.  Their security deposit function is also a sham if they can let a guest simply ignore the requests.  I'm considering going to social media to complain.

Any advice is welcome.  I suspect I'm not the only host who has had this problem.

35 Replies 35
Alastair27
Level 2
Inverness, United Kingdom

hello ive had problem guests this year as an air bnb super host after they violated house rules and leave me 1 star reviews i get my account closed 

that last weekend i hosted i had 5 star reviews from 2 guests with exceptional hospitality 

and a difficult guest left me a 1 star review  which resulted in my account be suspended 

air bnb believe and support the guest and do look at my side 

i guess there of the assumption that the customer is always right  

i fell so bad after this situation 

and so very let down by air bnb 

what a way to run a business

Review system is useless as they will just get another friend to start a new account and tell you they are having a nice quiet evening with grandma.  Unless you deny zero review guest but then that hits your wallet cause we’ve had lots of zero review guests that have been great.  It’s impossible to prevent parties as some guest just flat out lie and don’t care about the rules even if you tell them beforehand. We have a 10 guest house and this is prime for a party due to size. We have signs everywhere in the house and outside cameras that were covered or moved and I messaged the guest to immediately stop the noise and unblock the cameras or I would come over and kick them out and luckily all have cooperated so I’ve never had to resort to kicking anyone out yet.  My cameras have audio so I can check the noise levels and will send a fake message about a noise complaint if it starts to get to loud or too many guests.  I saw other posts about installing spl detectors that email you but these are expensive and on subscriptions. Cheap alternative is get a cheap Wyze cam and put it outside by the front door or any area people would tend to hang out and setup sound and motion email alerts. 

I think no matter what you need to monitor the guests to catch the party before it starts.  There just no other way. 

I’m a neighbor of Arbnb property.

We didn’t have problems in the past, but for some reason, recently we had several parties, people smoke marijuana and hang out outside the whole night.

I called Airbnb and complained they were very polite, they apologized, collected all the information about the even, but I don’t think they did anything.

Not sure what to do next, I guess I will contact the owner of the property, but I’m not sure it is appropriate

@Vladimir234  I would say it's more than appropriate to contact the property owners. They need to know that their guests are disturbing the neighbors. They may not care, but at least you should let them know this is not okay. If other neighbors are also being disturbed, I'd get all of them to sign a letter to the owner.

As far as smoking pot, I believe it's legal where you live, so that isn't something you have any say in, but if the guests are being loud after a reasonable time of night, that's not acceptable.

Kynan0
Level 2
Surfers Paradise, Australia

How's this for AirBNB not caring about hosts.......

People booked my house, threw a massive party. I turned up, evicted them as there were like 20 people (in a house that allowed Max 8). 

Guests complained to AirBNB that their accomodation was taken away from them, and AirBNB refunded the guests the trip and took the money off me...

Note - AirBNB has a policy, that if you choose to not allow guests to stay the nights they have booked, NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON, hosts lose the money and guests get a refund of the night you chose to not allow them to stay. 

$12,000 in damages by my guests, AirBNB gave me back $250 under the host guarantee. Example of why - Guests ripped open a $2000 leather couch, airBNB valued the couch at $40 because it was 5 years old.

Julie1315
Level 2
Greer, SC

In my Opinion Air BNB does not protect its hosts