host cancellations

Pierre2
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

host cancellations

Hi
Hope someone can help me.
I am an Airbnb managing agent for a couple of properties.
2 of my 4 properties belongs to 1 owner.
One of the 2 properties (a 2 bedroom loft apartment) are not making enough money as expected. Airbnb's daily rates(which is set on auto for Airbnb to give me an average daily rate) does not charge high enough daily rates in order to make a profit.
Now the owner has decided to stop all future bookings from the 1st of October because she is running at a loss.
I have 6 bookings still left in total for both October and November.
She already excepted the new long term rental and a deposit.
What are my rights, the rights of Airbnb and of course the tenants that booked the place already?
Can I leave a case of fraud against the owner perhaps?
I don't know what to do...?
6 Replies 6
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

The answer would be in your contract with the property owner.

Why are you not setting the rates?

David
Pierre2
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi David,
Thanks for your feedback.
The owner refused to sign a contract with me.
She wanted me to do Airbnb knowing that it will be low season and where it will take a while to build up reviews and get bookings.
I've found if I don't set it on the auto rates of Airbnb - I don't get featured
on page 1 and get therefore far less bookings...
That is what I have found from my experiences with Airbnb.
Does Airbnb not have a lawyer help line or something?
She knew about the upcoming bookings and she simply does not care if they
don't have a place to stay. Now I am stuck stuck to find them accommodation...

Regards
Pierre

@Pierre2

Seems that you have listed her property without a contract to do so, the contract would have included such issues as termination notice etc etc. To what extent you could seek to enforce a verbal agreement, not even sure exactly what that agreement was, would be something to be discussed with a local lawyer.

As you seem to be doing this as a business I would strongly suggest you seek legal guidance before taking on any other clients.

David
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Pierre2 I agree with @David126, the obvious thing to do is to switch off Smart Pricing as it always drives prices down. Airbnb don't know your property, the facilities you provide, the festivals in your area or what your competitors provide. So don't use smart pricing, set the prices yourself.

Pierre2
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Victory,
Thanks for your feedback.
The owner refused to sign a contract with me.
She wanted me to do Airbnb knowing that it will be low season and where it will take a while to build up reviews and get bookings.
I've found if I don't set it on the auto rates of Airbnb - I don't get featured
on page 1 and get therefore far less bookings...
That is what I have found from my experiences with Airbnb.
Does Airbnb not have a lawyer help line or something?
She knew about the upcoming bookings and she simply does not care if they
don't have a place to stay. Now I am stuck to find them accommodation...

Regards
Pierre
Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

Are you just managing the listing (i.e. Have login or shared host)? If so I think the cancellations would go against that account and since they are no longer listing with Airbnb your others properties should not suffer.

The only other thing I can think of is to explain to the guests that the propert is no longer available and help your guests find other Accomidations. Once you or your guests have identified suitable alternates contact Airbnb and have them switch the reservations hopefully without penalty.
Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ