my property payments

my property payments

Hi everyone . I had my first guest with ARBNB and she arrived on June 28th. The guest paid for the property in March. I still have not been paid and its 6 days later.  The company must make a lot of money on interest on peoples money!!!!!

Does anyone know why  I have not been paid???

10 Replies 10
Windy0
Level 1
Colorado, United States

I would check to see if your PayPal account was set up properly.
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Windy0, that is assuming @Louisa10 chose Paypal as a preferred pay-out option, otherwise this is not applicable.

BW, Ama

Vangelis-and-Emm0
Level 1
Makedonia Thraki, Greece

The payment will be released only after the guest checked out.

Hi @Vangelis-and-Emm0,  small correction, Airbnb releases your payout about 24 hours after your guest’s scheduled check-in time not after they check-out.

BW, Ama

Thanks for the correction Amaris!
We have had guests that stay for one day so far and thus explained payment after 24 hours! Now we get it! Cheerious
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Louisa I would suggest you familiarise yourself with Airbnb policy. They usually make payments 24 hours after a guest checks in. Yes they might make interest if a booking was made with sufficient advance payment but it is more a pre-caution i.e., if the guest is unable to keep the booking and cancels/ requires a refund, Airbnb have the money less any cancellation policy applicable in holding to immediately refund the guest. This might not be possible if the payment was released to the host in advance because the host may or may no longer have the money available to refund immediately; therefore it will be left to Airbnb to cover any payment refunds. From this point of view it makes sense that Airbnb hold any payments until such a time that the guest checks in.  24 hours gives the guest time to check into the accommodation and ensure it is as listed/ no other problems, it is reasonable that within this time the guest will know more or less if they are likely to stay the duration of their booking; it is also consider reasonable time for the guest to indicate if they do not wish to stay on in the accommodation hence the Airbnb's logic in holding funds.

Re receipt of the actual payments, so long as you have fully set up your Pay-out method, (please note that this is different from the Payment method) and there are no restrictions on minimum amount then the link  below will give you an indication as to when to expect payments as it differs depending on your chosen payment method.

Hope this clarifies  things a bit - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/425/when-do-i-get-paid

BW,Ama

Pilar1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This is still a mystery to me. I agree with the comments and the fact that payment to hosts is only released 24 hours to after guest has checked in if there are no issues on their part, then, depending on payment method chosen the time it will take to reach the host varies. I have chosen bank transfer on a couple of occasions it has taken over a week to reach my account, I’ve never been able to find out why, in this day and age it should be virtually instantaneous from the moment when AirBnB communicate they have released the funds (and they don’t always do) . I once was told payment fell on a weekend and then there was a Bank Holiday delay, but that would only justify an extra day, not more. In my view AirBnB definitely make quite a bit of profit in interest while they are holding the funds in escrow, sometimes up to 3 months in my case as I don’t accept longer term bookings.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pilar yes I understand how it can seem that way. This is not just down to Airbnb but also as per banking systems in place which Airbnb have no control over. Weekends and bank holidays do not count as working days. It also depends on your bank account/ bank not just Airbnb. For example, there are lots of bank accounts in the UK that support Instant transfer so the minute you send money from one account it gets to the other account in seconds/ minutes. On the other hand some of this same banks who support instant transfer have certain account types which do not support instant transfer so if you transferred money from one of those accounts it would take 3-5 working days. 

When you get paid by an employer and they use BACS, it take approx. 3 working days, CHAPS is transferred on the same day subject to a cut off time, PayPal is same day regardless of time so it does vary depending on other contributing factors as well including international transfers, time differences etc.

Pilar1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Amaris, what you say is true but it is completely down to AirBnB which banking system to use to make payments. I understand that there are rules and international laws involved and it may be a bit complicated but the way I see it they have collected payment in advance from the guests and now are making payment to the third party, me, the host. They hold the funds in their accounts (in which contry? I don't have the answer to that question either)  it is not coming from the guest's account to mine, so why does this transfer doesn't happen in a more effective and quicker manner? again, in my humble opinion, because it is not in their interest to make it quicker. I do understand how the different methods work, I have a UK account with a bank enrolled in the instant payment system by the way. I have considered using Paypal but they are just another big organisation that doesn't inspire that much confidence for some reason, I would then have to do a transfer to my account etc...  so, in the end, I chose to put up with the wait for the time being. Who knows if one day I may give up

Eugenia-And-Luis0
Level 2
Porto, Portugal

Been working with airbnb for 4 years and always had the money transfered by bank.

Never had one issue to report. Usually the money arrives at my bank account 48h after my guests check in.