nefarious rendezvous

Andy64
Level 1
Louisville, KY

nefarious rendezvous

So.....we had an unusual guest yesterday.  After checking in they sent me a message requesting not to be reviewed after their stay, even if it's a good review.  I looked into the guest and new she was from the same city, but her boyfriend owns a music venue close by and I thought they were getting a room for a band coming through town.  Turns out, some dude with wine shows up at 11am at check in and the guest and him spent the day together, then at 8pm she sends me a message saying they've checked out......  So I don't know if she was being paid for her time, but either way it was a
nefarious rendezvous

Do I report her to AirBnB, or is it none of my business....?

Your input is appreciated! 
6 Replies 6
Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Hello Andy, definitely a not usual airbnb guests. If I was you, I wouldnt report to airbnb, they didnt violate any airbnb term or break your house rules. =P

Seth6
Level 2
Boulder, CO

Was anything *actually* illegal about their activity during their stay or use of your place? An affair? You may not approve and do NOT need to rent to them again, but turning them in? Seems way over the top. Hard to see why an AirBnB host would want to start trying to be the morality police.

Of course, if you suspect or witness some illegal activity is occuring, then it's your right/responsibility to turn turn them in (to the police and AirBnB).

I've been seeing this more and more on Airbnb - guests not wanting reviews. It strikes me as odd and underhanded.  

More than once it occurred to me that it was a way for people to have illicit affairs that normally would be discrete in a hotel.  Personally, I don't provide my space for people to come and get it on, we provide a space for people to stay when traveling. Certainly Airbnb is a nicer way to go than a cheap hotel, but is this what you want in your home?

You could turn a blind eye, not write her a review as requested, and leave it at that. Maybe write a little note to her that you don't want her to come back, if that's the case.   Personally, I would tell her I was uncomfortable not leaving a review so that other hosts can be aware of the type of guest she might be for them in their home.  My sense of obligation to provide information to the host community would outweigh my sense of keeping her tryst private.  

Just to be clear, my review would be something like:  "Jane and John were great guests.   They were quiet and kept to themselves all day.  They checked in and out the same day after a few hours, left the room tidy and never used the towels."  No judgement - just the facts.  

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

The guy showing up with wine and spending the day together doesn't sound like typical of an illegal rendezvous. Probably just a discrete meeting that she'd like to keep private. I personally wouldn't involve myself in her (ahem) affairs, but I might send her a message to say I wish she had been honest about who was staying there from the beginning, or mention it if she ever tries to book again. I figure it's our job to be a great host, not to question others' life choices. 

My thohghts are: Unless you have proof of something nefarious/money changing hands/she was 'For Hire" I would just leave it alone.

The space was paid for, no one was hurt or disrespected. Sounds like she just needed some short term privacy.