not getting paid

Diana239
Level 2
United Kingdom

not getting paid

I've hosted with AirBnB for about two years now. I had a guest for two nights a week ago. Despite the fact that she has paid AirBnB and I can see the money sitting in my Future Transactions, AirBnB have not passed this payment on to me. It usually goes into my Paypal account.
I have made a number of phone calls to customer services to find out what is happening. They have told me, on the phone and in emails, that the issue has been passed to another department, marked "urgent". No one can give me contact details for this department so I can speak to someone and find out what is happening. I am just supposed to sit here, be patient and wait for them to contact me.
This really isn't good enough. Customer service seems to have no powers to resolve the matter or to give me any clear answers, nor am I allowed to speak to the people who DO – so I'm told – have the authority to make the payment. Nor is there is anywhere I can make a formal complaint. AirBnB clearly isn't set up to offer good customer service or to deal efficiently with anything that is marginally different from their production line system.

Very angry and frustrated!

Diana

48 Replies 48

Hi Joe and Gail

I did EVENTUALLY get paid, about two months after the guest had gone. Payment appeared, as if by magic brought by the tooth fairy, in my Paypal account. No accompanying notification from AirBnB.

I too was ignored. I made many phone calls to so-called customer "service" (for which read "non-service), was told the case had been referred to a case manager and marked urgent. Could I speak to this person? No. I also sent endless emails, and some tweets, including to their CEO Brian Chesky. 

They are so massive now, with advertisements everywhere, and they can certainly do better than this. Other organisations manage it. What I find deeply irritating is the public persona they put across: that we're all a "community", that they care (inc climbing on the bandwagon and asking host to house Grenfell Tower victims here in London for free), while Brian Chesky is swanning around South Africa proving how socially responsible he is. Don't get me started!

Perhaps all we can do is name and shame in the media, esp social media. Perhaps then they would sit up and take notice. It's disgraceful that hosts are having this problem, and it's very stressful and time-consuming too. 

Don't know what to suggest except keep pushing. Try their Twitter page, perhaps a Direct Message? And name and shame whenever and wherever you can!

Good luck!

Diana

Le6
Level 1
Regina, Canada

Recently we had a guest ( scammer ) check out after a 2 month stay. He had made a complaint against us to abnb about some mold in the shower and the air conditioner.  We were aware that the scammer was running the air conditioner all day and frequently, even the weather was cool. The state of the unit at checkout was a state of serious uncleanliness.  We do not enter rented property during a tenancy unless we are notified of a problem.

The guest had been moved to this apartment from another of our units to accommodate his request for a bigger bed because his family was joining him for a visit. So it is not as if he had no option but to put up with any mold issue.  He accepted the move with expressed gratitude and clearly indicated his satisfaction with the new apartment.  He said nothing about mold then, or at anytime during his entire booking, though there were frequent contacts and conversations. That was because there was no mold when he took possession of the apartment; he had to grow his own

At the end of his stay, he made his complaint, and abnb found in his favour, awarding him a 1300 refund; without any input from us. Effectively, rewarding the scammer for growing mold in our property !

And then began withholding payments on other bookings to cover the refund to the scammer !

As we did not realize why we were not being paid on new bookings for some  time, we sent several message asking why no payment without response.

It was only after we started cancelling reservations that we discovered the source of the problem.  At the time of the mold scam our abnb rating was 4.8. on 12 properties. It was shocking to us that a highly rated host would be treated in such a shabby manner.

We learned the hard way that longer bookings are high risk for an airbnb host.  In this case, abnb unfairly disadvantaged a host. We have delisted all our abnb properties; voting with our feet. 

Ronda10
Level 1
Tucson, AZ

I have now had 2 reservations and successful transactions of guests staying but no payout.  Not sure what I have to do or how to send a message or a call onto those who can do something about it... any ideas?

Ronda in Tucson

Polly35
Level 2
Chester, VT

I am also having trouble getting a payment. My guest added a night and that seemed to mess up the payment method because she added it the day she arrived. I keep getting referred to another person. Are phone calls the best?  This was a three night stay, not a long term stay. With winter here in Vermont I need to pay my heating bills! What is the most effective way to get paid? I even contacted the guest to say please respond to the emails from Airbnb. She has not replied. Are there guests out there who scam Airbnb?