"Can we leave our bags?" How do you respond?

Caolan0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

"Can we leave our bags?" How do you respond?

I have been hosting for a year now and have found the most common request (in messages and in person) is for my guests to leave their bags in my apartment after checkout before their flight.

I always accept this request and leave them in the living room so I can check my next guests in, however it can be inconvenient and sometimes annoying having bags clutter my living room all the time, especially when i have friends or family visit. 

Would it be ok to decline this request?

Is it normal for people to ask for something like this? It is normal for airbnb hosts to do this?

Thanks!!!

44 Replies 44
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello @Caolan0

Of Course It is ok to decline such a request for luggage storage.

there are loads of luggage storage facilities that you can pay for in London......feel free to tell your guests about them!

Also in the host Services part of air bnb, put a cross at the luggage storage facilities box.

this gives the clear message that this is not a service you offer.....not because you are a spoilsport but you don’t want chancers intruding into your lifestyle ......it IS your home after all and NOT a hotel!

Vivienne36
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have had to ask a guest to leave as when she was in the room she sent me a very bad text with nothing but lies in it and she told me that she would give me a really bad review.  Totally out of the blue.  All other guests were fine in the house but took an instand dislike to her.  She was taking her son to the Harry potter tour so for her son I said she could leave her bags in the hall.  I had another booking about to check in for the days that I had cancelled her.  She left her bags in my hall slamming my front door as she left at 9 am.  It’s now 7.30 pm and I have missed a dinner and dance beginning at 6 pm.  I was hoping to go to the dance at say 7.30 be it is 7.30 pm now and no sign of her.  Rung aie b & a to ask them to ring her and tell her to collect her bags.  Nothing back from them.  So I have messed up my day to allow her to have a good Harry Potter tour. Never again. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Vivienne

A rotten experience for you.

Hopefully you will tighten up your house rules clearly and look at the amenities you choose to provide in future.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

At least no one asked me to keep the luggage after check out. But I’m permanently fighting with those, who want to leave it before check in time. I recommend to use special service in the bus station, close to the house. And going to try one more option. But adding the fee for it. But for sure no entrance into the house and no keys before established time. 

She finally turned up at 9.20pm saying literally she could not give a sh*t about my private life.  She has left a review that I have not had the courage to look at yet. The room is 5* after 80 bookings this year.  Is there nothing I can do about this guest from hell.  Shes even a b & b host herself so she should know better. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Vivienne

You've had to learn the hard way  as I’ve had to do too, hence my Atilla the Hen house rules.

Rate accordingly.

Give the straight honest facts which us fellow hosts always appreciate rather than the vague wishy washy review full of “double speak” which allow these ghastly entitled guests to bounce through the air bnb platform from unsuspecting host to host.

A wee tip before you publish your review for this selfish entitled Ass Hat, run it past an air bnb operator on the air bnb London Number to make sure your proposed review does NOT violate air bnb guidelines on discrimination or  defamation.

Stick to plain facts, no opinions....us fellow hosts always appreciate the facts, please.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Vivienne

Review this guest asap.

Facts  only.

@Vivienne36  And once again another privileged host. Nail her to the wall on your review. I am still standing by my theory of most hosts make the worst guests and give horrible reviews. 

Vivienne36
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Yes Letti, I was really shocked. I have not had the courage to look at her review of me. She almost spat in my face when she finally came to get her bags. I could not care less that you have missed you grandfathers 100th birthday party what her words.  There seems nothing I can do with air b & b apart from give her a shocking review. I am sure she has for me.  But every other guest has been wonderful of of 80 apart from her. I had two who said little thinkgs like its London my window was open and there is dust, or I wanted to change my sheets but did not think to asjk just thought I would complain about it.  5* review for that room after 35 bookings will now be lost because of one sadistic and really quite mentally ill host from Denmark.  But as a committed air b & b host amd community member what can I do, nothing!

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Vivienne

Dont go for shock and awe.

Just the facts, your grand dads 100th birthday celebrations being missed should get top billing.

Ann221
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Yes, it’s common for our guests to request this. We have a whole house rental so guests put their belongings in the garage, but only until the next guests check-in. I would explain you don’t have a convenient place to store luggage since the living room is your common area and take it person by person

Stefanie36
Level 2
Tampa, FL

I heard from a local host that they were letting guests leave bags after others had checked in, and thought that was a good idea, friendly and all that. I noted that if anything were to go missing from either guests things, they’d be held responsible. Not a good plan.

I've had plenty of requests for early checkin (to “just leave the bags”) that usually result in the guests showing up early and expecting to stay- wanting toilet and shower and even trying to take naps while the cleaners are still there. That obviously doesn’t work (and in many situations, running the housekeepers out because it looked finished on the surface, but wasn’t done- dishes and laundry etc still running and sweeping/mopping still undone... then complaints because they later discovered, wow, it wasn’t done!?!). Now I just say no. In a polite and professional way, that the cleaners will be there and prefer to focus on the task “so they can be done quickly to allow the earliest possible checkin time”. Usually that works, and guests like that answer. If we are able to get them in an hour or two earlier, they review us super well for bending over backwards to accommodate them. Win-win. And no bags left.

Samantha568
Level 1
Austin, TX

It’s been 2 weeks and my guest still hasn’t collected the bags she left here. Airbnb hasn’t done anything to assist me except “attempts to reach the guest”. My guest has 3 fairly large suitcases. It’s so ridiculous! 

@Samantha568 

Drop off the lugguage at the local lost and found. I'm sure Austin's got some.

The guest can then pick up the suitcases against a small fee.

I don’t have a car.