"Cleaning Fees" listed separately, deceptive AirBnB

"Cleaning Fees" listed separately, deceptive AirBnB

AirBnB is a joke with published rates. Hosts lowball on the nightly rate, then charge $70 for a cleaning?  That's for one night or 5.
Looking at a room in Nassua, $80 for the night, $69 cleaning = $149. Seriously, pathetic excuse for transparent pricing.

This site asks us to be nice to each other, how about being nice to travellers by being honest. Any Host can lowball the rate and rack up the cleaning fee. Anyone else agree this is deceptive?

They need to include all fees in pricing. 

Another host lists a $100 fee and $29 cleaning fee = $129.

It's impossible to compare without going through each listing.

And this is a good service?

162 Replies 162

I think it’s great you’re concerned about paying someone enough money. I do think the original post was more bringing up the fact that there seem to be hidden charges. If you tell me that it’s $300 a night, and I’m staying two nights; as I peruse I am doing math on whether or not things are in my price range.  When the total brings you well over an additional nights stay - it DOES make it difficult to plan out and might make some people opt for avenues where the pricing is easier to go through and easier to plan with. Some cleaning fees being $29 for 5 days and others being upwards of $150 for just one night definitely makes this more difficult to plan than the last time I used Airbnb.... I understand both sides; just as the user I think I would rather see the cleaning fee wrapped up in the night stay just to make things easier in searching. Or to put it more clearly I will probably stay at the places who just wrap up the cleaning fee in the night stay in charge more? Just seems easier for end user. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Joanne640,

The way that room prices and totals costs are displayed is pretty consistent among the various OTAS (online travel agencies).  The night room rate is in bold text, and the total cost of the stay is shown right below in smaller, lighter font.  This is the price that guests should look at to determine if a place fits within their budget, regardless of the individual fees and taxes.

I did a search for properties listed near you, in Grand Marais, MI for a three night stay, November 20 to 23.  

Airbnb

Grand Marais.JPG

Expedia

Grand Marais2.JPG

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I thought once you out the dates in the total cost is shown including taxes, booking fees and cleaning charges.

Obviously a cleaning fee is a one off charge so needs to be averaged out to a direcet comparison.

David

You're right, it is, but requires user to go through every single posting to find out. 

The answer would be full price.

Like this one $70 cleaning fee, $90 for the room. Crazy. So deceptive.

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/8800747?checkin=2017-04-06&adults=1&children=0&infants=0&s=3w6kGiUb

Why not say $2 a night and $158 cleaning fee. I guess people like to have money taken from them.

Have a nice day.

Exactly what I said. It's deceptive because, as you mentioned, the total is what most want to see and many owners post a very low base price to entice guests to their property. Then, they tack on more than just a cleaning fee (which most of us agree is a reasonable and expected cost).

But, one place we looked at was double  listed price after ALL the fees. They had a very high "service" fee listed as 24/7 help just in case guests needed them. Sorry, but no.

This listing has a minimum stay of two nights. That makes the rate on cleaning 45 CAD pr night. Water, electricity etc. can be fairly expensive in different parts of the world. This is why any host can set their cleaning-fee to whatever they choose to meet the price of cleaning. Ex. if I were to hire staff to clean my house after guests the fee would be double the prize of the room since salaries are high in Norway.

And when you search for a place on spesific dates the fee is included in the price you are offered. I don't see how this makes you forced to check every listing. It is the full prize that matters, isn't it? Some charge fees, some don't. Cleaning is a cost. Hosts normally don't staff people and have to fit the cleaning in with their work schedules and lots of other stuff.

AirBnB is mostly about sharing homes. If you don't like the style of it you an always find a hotel.

Mariann 🙂

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Nu0, you have to look at it as the total cost of the stay.

One thing to consider is that you're not paying a fee (and neither are we) on the cleaning fee.

So if the room is worth $149/night to you, go for it.  If not, find another room.

You may end up with $149/night elsewhere with no cleaning fee, but then you're paying fees on the full amount.

Make sense?

Bottom line.... every host has the right to list their property as they see fit.

As a consumer, you have the right to say "Thanks.... but no thanks".

It's called free enterprise.

😉

For hosts who think the cleaning fee is exempt from the service charge, here is an excerpt from the link:

• Because the cleaning fee is included in the total guest payment and host payout, service fees apply.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/article/58/how-do-i-add-a-cleaning-fee-to-my-listing

Nu has a point that has got lost.

This place charges a 500% cleaning fee on one night's accommodation.  Ooops. AirBnB won't allow the link to post.

I went to book in Richmond, near Vancouver airport for one night.   We could stay anywhere as we have a car.   Most places are $100+/- a night.   This is what I expect to pay.   I found a place for $25. and after clicking through, saw that the cleaning fee was $120.  The total was $145, but the low nightly rate places this property at the top of the Vancouver airport area page.  Logically, most people near the airport BnBs would be one night guests.  The property was a room, not a floor or house.

AirBnB was not intended to operate like this.  I understand the cleaning fee is one time even if one stays seven days.  However from the searchability of cities for AirBnB, as Nu said, we have to scroll through EVERY property as this fee has rendered pricing useless.

For those who are not agreeing with Nu, consider this as a host.   AirBnB specifically has requested hosts to post reasonable cleaning charges. Some hosts, however, have purposely displayed a super low advertised price to attract potential guests to a property, but a 500% charge awaits a guest upon clicking through, which makes the search function futile.  

Nu was wanting to use AirBnb but was commenting on the fact that the price we specifically filter for may not be remotely close to the price a customer pays.   Hence, the search functions are useless.   Of course, many don't play this game and charge let's say $100 and a $10 cleaning fee.  One can expect this and it makes sense.

Sort of amusing now if I was looking and that came up then I would only book if I had no other reasonabl options.

I can only assume @Gary201 that they are looking for say monthly bookings and ABB requires you to price per day. Could you post a link to the listing?

David

Rooms with an added cleaning charge are a no-go for me and it feels plain sneaky. Like buying a car and having to pay extra for the wheels. Whole properties, different. 

I absolutely agree with you. When you rent a place, isn't it supposed to be clean? $260.00 cleaning fee for a 900 sq ft condo on Marco Island is absolutely ridiculous. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Deceptive may apply better to people who have no photo and no verifications

David
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Not to worry Nu - as you won't get accepted for a booking with no profile pic, no info on your profile and no verifications. And Gordon - you should just book a hotel room if you don't think cleaning her up after you is worth an extra charge. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the response, Ali, but I'm talking at this from a host's point of view, i.e my listing, on which I don't charge a cleaning fee...because I believe in being open and transparent. Still, if you love added 'extras' when you buy stuff, fill your boots.