strict cancellation refund

Anja-and-Pete0
Level 2
Oughterard, Ireland

strict cancellation refund

I am confused about Airbnb's refund policy for a strict booking: I enquired about booking an apartment on the 14th of January (I was planning to stay in April), which was replied to by the host on the 15th of January (and was therefore booked and charged for in full). 2 days later I asked the host if I could postpone my stay to the summer, but got no reply. I emailed her again he following day but again no reply. So I changed the booking directly on the Airbnb website and was told that the apartment was available for an additional 69 Euro and that I would be notified as soon as the host was going to accept. 

The host then emailed me to say that the apartment was going to be "a lot more expensive" in the summer than the original charge for April, so I replied that we had already been notified by Airbnb that it was going to cost 69 Euro more and that we agreed to this. She then e-mailed me to say that the apartment was not available anymore in the summer and that it had to be April or nothing.

Her cancellation policy is set to "strict" and I now have to cancel the booking. Will I get my payment refunded? 

21 Replies 21
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Anja-and-Pete0   Let me summarize what you stated in your post.  You booked some time, then decided to change the dates, then found out the dates you wanted were more expensive and you agreed but now the dates are not available.  Sorry this happened but please understand that when you change your plans, the host is dealing with other requests for their listing, especially during a high season.  In the future, be committed to your reservation.  Unlike a hotel, most Air BNB hosts do not have an alternative to give you as you change your plans.  Hotels are a better option for those situations.

It is unlikely that you will be given a refund because you changed your dates of stay after the initial reservation request and the host cannot be forced to accept a change.  If you are intent on traveling in the summer, you could try to negotiate for a new price for the dates you would really like to stay instead.  You could also appeal to the host that you made an error and would hope, since April is far away, that maybe she would refund you part of the 50% she would be entitled to if you cancelled. If you choose to cancel, Airbnb will keep their fees too.  You have a confirmed and paid for reservation in April, if the expense of cancelling is high, maybe you can travel in April as originally planned. 

As hosts yourselves (Superhosts to boot!  Congrats!), you might find it helpful to review all the cancellation policies: https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#strict

Lynn66
Level 2
Washington, DC

I am a host and I have a strict no refund policy.  A guest can always call me and discuss special considerations, but I cannnot do this if people are cancelling at the last minute.  How do I get a refund, as my rules in my profile take precedence over the "strict" policy of Airbnb.

Lynn

@Lynn66

Not really sure what you are asking Lynn... so apologies if this is not the answer.

Hosts and guests, irrespective of whatever cancellation policy is in place, can discuss change of dates, cancellation, etc. A host can agree to refund accommodation cost in full (even if they have a strict policy in place).

However, what host can't do is impose a more strict cancellation policy than would be incurred if the guest followed AirBnB's policy. So, for example, a host cannot say: I have a strict policy with AirBnB, but I will also demand £x additional if you cancel last minute. AirBnB won't support that.

If you have a strict policy in place, then a guest who cancels at last minute will lose out and you will be paid in line with your strict cancellation policy. It's up to you to decide if you wish to refund them anything, or give them a discount on a future stay, etc.

Hi Gerry and Rashid:

My guest could have called me to make a request. I am set up as strict and my profile says no refunds and two day minimum.  Airbnb just automatically refunded their money.  I cannot reach a customer service at Airbnb to protest this action.  I don't have this problem with VRBO.  Let me know if there is a way to reach customer service.  Otherwise, I will drop Airbnb.  Lynn

I require that guests sign my lease which includes House/property rules.
This is a non-refundable deposit/full payment and a minimum of two night stay. I also require that guests pay a refundable damage deposit (by Airbnb) of $500, plus the purchase of Property Damage Protection Insurance, which will provide additional coverage of my property of up to $1,500.00. I recommend CSA Insurance and their number is available on the Internet. This insurance protects the guest and owner.

AirBnB does not operate that way and having this in your listing will not do what I think you want to.

I have not heard of the insurance you mention and have idea where you would buy it. Probably better to buy it and include it in your rate if you need it. Might also want to see how ABB operate their damage deposit.

Most guests do not seem to read the small print anyway.

AirBnB has an Extenuating Circumstances policy, I assume the cancellation was done under that.

David

@Lynn66

I can see that you have set your cancellation policy to strict  https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#strict

and those are the conditions that your guests book under.  You cannot stray from those and set your own rules.

I need to know how to contact Airbnb about this. I have complied with their platform choices and my personal profile to guests is very clear about cancellations.  Airbnb had not authority to return their money, unless I approved it.

Lynn

@Lynn66

Extenuating Circumstance will preempt you cancellation policy.

David
Lynn66
Level 2
Washington, DC

I have the same problem.  Airbnb stated that they would pay me $97 on $257, which is not 50%.  I have not received a refund even though I have a strict policy.  She cancelled more than 1 week prior to the reservation.

Lynn

Hi Lynn, thanks for your post. I've just run into the same problem and am wondering if you found a way to contact airbnb? Also, was it ever resolved? Thanks, Seth

Olivia87
Level 2
Balearic Islands, Spain

Hi

I'm new to hosting on Airbnb and have set a "strict cancellation policy". My guest booked 2 months ago one week in late August and let me know a few days ago that her party "might not be able to travel" due to personal reasons. She would like a full refund which I'm inclined to give her bc her cancellaton request is very early on. As her money is with Airbnb, what is the best procedure to follow?

Any help from more experienced hosts very welcome and much appreciated! THANKS