unexpected, unwanted extra guests

Margaret24
Level 1
Austin, TX

unexpected, unwanted extra guests

I have two bedrooms listed with beds for two people in each. I do not want extra people in either room. Yet I had a guest book 4 adults but show up with 5.

When I checked my listing, it showed no charge for extra guests. NOT what I want it to say. But I had checked nothing for extra guests because I did not want any.

How can I handle this in the future?

Thanks.

Margaret

35 Replies 35

@Louise0,

I completely agree, why should we need them?  As you and many of us know, Airbnb is pro guest and they think hosts should do everything possible and just say yes, yes, and yes.  We need to add the rules to "hopefully" protect us when they do book for one and they show up with 6.  How much trust do you put in Airbnb and their Terms and Conditions lately @Louise0 with all the changes we are bombarded with on a daily basis?  When was the last time you can remember where Airbnb made an announcement of any of the recent changes - no pet fee? no children fee? flip flop on host cancellation penalties? 

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thank you, it hasn´t happen to me, but now I know about it

Slavica2
Level 2
Zadar, Croatia

Hi Margaret,

That is a really frustrating situation and I can understand cancellation is not an option for you becaouse of the penalties.

Instead of canceling the reservation you could send them an alteration with a check out for tomorrow. Simply tell them that a family matter has come up and you will need the space.

If you want to make any changes to an existing reservation, you can send your guest an alteration request. This will allow you to adjust the dates or price of an accepted reservation, modify the number of guests, or switch the reservation to another one of your listings on Airbnb. Simply go to Your Listings > Your Reservations. Find the reservation, and click on the Alter or Cancel button. On the next screen, head to Alter Reservation.

You’ll be shown a subtotal, which you can adjust according to your needs. Be sure to enter a number with no symbols or spaces, and make sure the price is inclusive of your nightly rate, cleaning fee, rates for extra guests, etc. (just like a Special Offer). The subtotal is the reservation total before Airbnb service fees, which are then adjusted automatically according to the new reservation subtotal.

It’s important to remember that any alteration requests you submit are always subject to availability and terms and must be accepted by your guest. If the alteration is accepted, the cancelation policy is updated according to the new reservation details. At acceptance, your host payout will be updated and the guest will be charged or refunded according to the change in price. If the alteration is declined, the original reservation details remain intact.

Check this article on the topic: www.airbnb.com/help/question/50

I hope this will help you. Good luck!

Slavica

Julie-and-Peter0
Level 1
Crabbes Creek, Australia

I've just had this same situation occur - a booking for a maximum of 4 uni students on their end-semester break.  However, I discover there are actually 10 of them in the house, with the extras bringing their own mattresses, so it would seem this was a deliberate attempt to scam the booking regulations.  My house will comfortably take 4 for the nightly price, with a possible 2 extra guests paying an additional $25/night each (adults, $13 children).  I also send out a detailed list of our terms & conditions for the rental, to make sure I'm covered for damages, extra guests, etc.   The uni students obviously disregarded the terms & conditions, but I feel I'm covered legally for any actions I take over a breach of the booking.

Fortunately, we reside in the caretaker's residence at the property so can keep an eye on things, and I must add, this is a rare event.  I've been up to talk to them, explained the courses of action I could take:  1.  Report them to Airbnb;  2.  Evict them;  3.  Get an assurance there will be no damage to the house, nor any furniture moved;  4.  Ask for the extra guests to pay $25/night each.

I've chosen actions 3 & 4, made them aware of their out of integrity and how this causes hosts to be wary about taking bookings from young people, and allowed them to continue their stay.  I must look like their Mum, because they were suitably chastised, accepted the penalty and are now laughing about in the pool.  

The stay isn't over yet, and I hope it ends well, but I'm feeling positive!

Did you add $25 to the reservation or accept cash from the extra guests?

Helen689
Level 2
London, GB

Hello

I have 2 booked for the weekend but from my drive camera i can see 12 turned up  I messaged them and they said 12!!!!!, but i can only sleep 10  I will charge for the 10 extra but can I charge for extra cleaning etc