using my place like a love hotel

Lucia575
Level 2
New York, NY

using my place like a love hotel

Hi everybody, I'm new as a host and I'd like some opinions from you more experienced folks.

This  guy booked my room for him and his sister, for one night. He says they come for visiting a relative. Then, he sends a message saying that instead of his sister, his girlfriend is coming. 

Then, they come, at 7pm. They lock themselves in the room. I absolutely don't care what they are doing, I put a mattress protector on anyway.

Around 3am, I hear them going out.

They don't come back. 

Basically they went away like thieves in the night, without bothering of leaving a message or calling this morning to apologise for leaving that way.

So here are my issues with the whole thing:

1. The guy lied to me, about his intentions and about his guest.

2. The girl, whom I saw briefly, looked very young. How can I know that she's of the right age? besides, does Airbnb check the identity of the extra guests? I mean, you must be 18 or older in order to set an account, what about the extra guest? can I ask a guest to show me an I.D.? 

3. How can I avoid to find myself again in such a weird situation? Again, I don't care what a guest does or does not, but I don't trust liars, and how do I know if a guest is simply and normally having fun or if he/she is doing something against the law in my place?

4. last but not least, what kind of review am I supposed to give to this guy?

Thank you everyone. 

8 Replies 8
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I always ask for the name of all guests using my space, @Lucia575.  That is one way to start the process of registing the guests.  There is no Air BNB rule about young people staying, only a rule about young people booking.   Another step would be for you to check all guest ID's and advise the booking guest of that process.  That would probably deter guests that are not on the up and up.  

Thank you Linda, I'm going to do exactly that from now on. Cheers

Kenneth-And-Lilia0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Easiest rule.  NEVER rent to locals.

yes, I've pretty much understood that at this point 🙂 thank you

@Kenneth-And-Lilia0

No local bookings AND a minimum stay of 2 or 3 nights (if possible) helps. 

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Good rule to follow, no locals and minimum of 2 night stay.  Also, meet all guests at check-in.  Ask for photo ID of guests. 

@Lucia575  you want to prevent situations like this (especially in NYC) with very detailed and strict house rules.

The goal: Scare the crazy ones away so that they not even want to try to book your place. And "regular guests" don't see problems in "common sense" rules.

Reg. review... here we go :-))) (YOU wrote a good one already)

"...Guest booked my room for him and his sister, for one night, to visit a relative. Then, he sends a message saying that instead of his sister, his girlfriend is coming. 

Then, they come, at 7pm. They lock themselves in the room. 

Around 3am, I hear them going out.

They don't come back..."

Here example out of my HR's addressing exactly your issue:

- Be aware of all "House Rules" as part of the contract.
- The booking guest needs to have a fully verified account (ID, Email and Phone-Nr.) and to register EVERY person staying at our house with full name at day of booking but not later than 5 days upon arrival. Ignoring this rule will result in cancellation. 
- ONLY with full name registered guests are allowed on the property. (short visual ID check at arrival)

- Between 12pm and 5pm: Essentials will be checked on daily base and the host will vacuum guest space / remove garbage every 2nd day.

- ALL guests have to TRAVEL (from outside NYC) or fly and check-in/arrive TOGETHER.
- We are NOT HOSTING NYC LOCAL'S without explicit written agreement.
- NO LOCAL MEET-UP'S AND STAYING OVER with any persons not previously registered/booked and agreed by host.

- Changes or adjustments of listed "House Rules" has to be agreed by host in writing via Airbnb App.

- It is mutually agreed that any violation of house rules will terminate the rental contract and the host can/will takeover the guest-space. In this case, the guest(s) will get a refund as of Airbnb policy and waives all rights to stay.

Lucia575
Level 2
New York, NY

wow that's exhaustive indeed! I will definitely use that, thank you.