what do you do when guests ignore the check-in time

Susan310
Level 2
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom

what do you do when guests ignore the check-in time

What is it about Airbnb that makes guests think they can ignore the check-in time which is clearly stated on the listing ?  My check-in time is 4 pm (or after, with no late limit) which allows, or should allow, me to be at home to welcome them and give them the key when they get here. I'd say that more than 80 percent of my booking messages start with "I plan to arrive at 3 pm", "2 pm", "mid-day", even "11 am" once or twice.  And people can get quite snippy if you explain that you won't be able to check them in at that time. 

I used to try to be flexible even with these early arrivers, but it's feeling more and more that guests just see Airbnb as a cheap hotel option.

Recently I got into a dialogue with a guest who wanted to come at 2:30 and was worrying about how she was going to find my place, etc which went on so long I got fed up and declined the booking. All the information she needed was on the listing and she was not only ignoring it, but complaining that I wasn't responding fast enough!

I've been doing Airbnb for more than 3 years now and it seems to me there's an increasing lack of respect for hosts. Or is this just host burn-out? Either way, starting to wonder if it's time to call it a day....

18 Replies 18

I offer for them to drop off luggage or pets but the room will not be available till your check in time. I don’t like the late, late ones, 2 am is a bit much. We Had a lady who got so tipsy she couldn’t drive the 8 miles to our home and requested us to pick her up. I’m not sure Airbnb is going to pay my bail for being out late and beer on my breath at 1 am , she passed out in truck and requested a refund due to room not being available. Sure it’s not available in parking lot of local restaurants! 

Check your refund policy too. Make it to your advantage, there are a number of reasons people cancelled and I still get paid. 

Hi Mark

I think you give the guests too much, it seems that when hosts give then the guests believe they can do anything. I have a rule no cooking however I had a guest who requested that they could cook their dinner so my husband and I agreed and said please clean up after yourselves, so we went out so they could have free access of kitchen/dining room. We came back at 10.15pm they had only just started cooking, the place stunk the girl was laying on my couch in our room while her boyfriend cooked at after 11.00pm they had finished cooking I had to open every room and door in the house as I had another guest staying the following day, never again I've decided that if guests dont want to follow my rules then dont come I dont need it and actually its becoming less and less money for heaps more, Airbnb people think is a cheap hotel and treat it as such, Airbnb not the same now nor are the guests, I'm thinking if they want a cheap hotel go find one.

Kate-文丽0
Level 2
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Hello Susan, 

I'm totally understand you. My cast even worse..Check in time is 2pm Guest arrive at 07.30am. I ask my driver pick him from Airport and my maid waiting to help him store luggage at lobby. 

We didn't clean house yet since my previous guest just left, maid call me say new guest want to go to house to change clothes, wash face (which is our lobby have wash room and toilet) 

my maid give me talk to him, i ask him to come back at 12pm then i hang up. 

Later when i send new bed sheet to home i found that his clothes all around in the house, maid told me he follow her up to house even she said can't. 

and he spent time to wash and un pack his things. 

Many things happends to me because of arrive early and late check out. I'll try to adjust as much as i can but this is too much. I never see people like this in my life....

kate. 

Michelle-And-Robert0
Level 2
Blairgowrie, Australia

I'm a superhost and have been for 4 seasons now and yes I totally agree people rock up whenever they like and expect that the cost of the room for the night pays for that time. Yes I agree I think that you've hit the nail on the head, the quality of people that I now host I believe think that they're staying in a cheap hotel and can do whatever they like, my expensive towels get ruined they turn up when they like many times I've waited half a day by then I'm totally over it. I actually feel burned out used and abused and after this season I'm considering having a rest. Airbnb isnt the same I was in it when it started very different then and also the expectation of the guests as well, respect now nearly totally gone out the window, so for me its sad I was an advocate for Airbnb. Airbnb where I'm drive the price down and its really not worth the angst so I actually put my price up this week after 4 years, cost of electricity, food wear and tear on my home the time spent in cleaning and hosting actually not worth it!!