what does a 4 star rating mean?

Ali24
Level 2
Romsey, GB

what does a 4 star rating mean?

I have hosted about 6 guests so far this month in one of my rooms, and I have a very clear descripion on my page of exactly what to expect.  All the comments they have left in my guest book (4 people as the one has just left and the other is still here) have been wonderful, and they have thanked me and been positive in person.  Part of the description explains very clearly, and in the main header, that the room is a shared space.  One of my guests put a comment on things I could improve, to say that he should have been warned that it was a shared space - not only does it say that clearly on the picture, description and when they arrive, I show them the access door, making the room non private....i have also clearly stated that my house is very old and quirky, but it is spotlessly clean despite that, although a bit shabby 'chic' may be a good description, but very clean. I have received 4 stars regarding cleanliness and 4 stars for accuracy..from one of my guests. and of course I am a little bit upset, as I have been getting 5 stars on everything up until this point...just wondered what 4 stars meant?? Thanks 🙂 

18 Replies 18
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

For some people 4 stars means really great, but not excellent. Some people will never give any place 5 stars as it means perfection. I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Diane15
Level 6
Spokane, WA

I wouldn't take it heart. I had a Guest who rented (on another site) my largest property for her daugther's wedding write me an AMAZING review. It couldn't have been better if I had written it myself...but then she gave me a 4 Star review, which I found totally bizarre. It bothered me for a  few days, but then I let it go. You never know what's going on in a Guest's mind. Also, they could have hit 4 stars instead of 5 without realizing it. If you have mostly 5 Stars, one 4 Star won't hurt you in the long run. I'd just... let it go 🙂

I see you posted this quite awhile ago.  Thank you.  This article is exactly right!  It is insane that someone can have the best time at our home but give less than 5 stars in a category like "location".  The location they chose when they saw the map on our listing!!  Thanks again.  It's up to airbnb to help guests understand the star rating system or completely revamp the way guests review their accommodations.

Alex-And-Abbie0
Level 1
Marazion, United Kingdom

Hi, I've been hosting for a few years now, and get the occasional 4 star - and it could be anything from the weather sucking to bad service in a local restaurant to someone not reading your page properly, some people just never give 5. Last year I had someone complain there was no dressing table or sofa in the room and that I didn't allow guests friends to drop in, despite pictures and description being really clear.

We had a cold snap during the summer and the guest gave me 4 stars for overall experience and 5 stars for everything else. Her review praised me for loaning her a jacket, she wrote that she loved staying with us in our guest book.  Unless there is a constructive comment on what could have been better, forget it. 

Emily145
Level 8
Takoma Park, MD

A good idea is to specifically ask for 5-star reviews. Like someone said above, some people just think they should save 5 stars for absolute perfection and give 4 stars to just about eveything. They don't realize how important it is to hosts to get 5 stars unless you tell them. 

Faouzi0
Level 2
Lyon, France

Some people will never give 5 stars. I have some very good comments and 5 stars in every criteria but for the main note they give 4. I never understand that and i think Airbnb need to change the rule of superhost to correct this issue.

Chris1936
Level 1
Cherry Hill, NJ

We just finished a stay and although we gave the host five stars in each of the category ratings, I gave a four-star rating for overall. very much true that for each of the categories he was spot-on, but the overall captures many things that those individual ratings don't. Like others have mentioned, I reserve a five-star rating for near perfection. My overall rating doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your description or how well you took pictures. in our particular case there were issues with the doorbell not working, holes in the back deck, and some lack of information on whether the common spaces/amenities in the house were available to guests. What's wrong with a four-star rating? My wife and I disagree on whether a host wants to hear all the nitpicking details.

And now my host is asking why the four stars. He says that Airbnb considers anything less than five as "bad". Is this true? How does it matter?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Chris1936 yes this is unfortunately true. Hosts are at risk of being delisted if their ratings are below 4.7* but many guests are unaware of the way Airbnb handles the reviews. Especially if a host has a few reviews one bad one can ruin his whole listing. 

@Chris1936   

5-Stars means a pass in Airbnb it does not mean perfection.

Four stars is a failing grade for an Airbnb host. It puts them on the road to warnings, penalties and delisting.  It's like Uber's model, Uber fire drivers who have less than a 4.8 average. Airbnb 4.7.

If a guest leaves less than 5-stars,  stating why the listing was not worthy of the price paid helps the host understand what was wrong. I welcome feedback and if it is cost-effective to address I do it.

It doesn't help that Airbnb define the stars differently for hosts and guests.  Here's another hosts take on it.

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 11.05.17 AM.png

Your star review is to help other guests when choosing a place to stay.  It is very confusing to us hosts when we get a great review but less than 5 stars.  I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how we just got 5 stars in all categories and praise about all the amenities but got a 4 star for value.  Is it a guest who just wants to pay less for vacation?  Guests don't realize how important the star rating is to our status on airbnb.  If I'm a potential guest I would certainly want to stay at a 5 star place.  On the other hand, my husband and I are very generous when reviewing our guests.  If they didn't wreck the place and followed at least some of the rules, they get all 5 stars. Sticky stuff and crumbs on the floor don't get them 3 or 4 stars for cleanliness because we realize this will be a big negative when they want to book another place.  The next host won't know it's because of crumbs on the floor.  They might think the guest was a complete pig.  I think if you give a host less than 5 stars, you should at least tell them why in the private message review.  

@Chris1936 Overall star actually matters more than the stars rating in each category because only overall star is used for calculating averages for a host.

As mentioned by @Ange2 and @Ana1136, a 4 star given by you would actually hurt the host's rating. It woud require three other guests who give 5 stars in order for the host to get back to 4.7.

Airbnb rating system has a big flaw. It causes the star rating to be inflated. And it also encourages those bad guests to provide retalatory reviews because they know that will hurt the host. In the meantime, hosts start to screen more selectively. If a guest has a history of giving lower ratings is not welcomed by hosts and may get rejection for a booking by the host.