Airbnb just notified me that the NY District Attorney's office requested info about my host account

Greg282
Level 2
New York, NY

Airbnb just notified me that the NY District Attorney's office requested info about my host account

Has else anyone had this happen? What happened next? Were you inspected, and about how long after the notification? 

Thanks in advance, this has me very worried.

3 Replies 3

Hey Greg, this didn't happen to me... but I was just curious what ended up happening to you.  That's pretty scary!

Nothing yet, but who knows what the future will hold. We only rent rooms out occasionally, but that does not seem to matter based on what I've been reading. 

Different problems can apply:

- Multi Dwelling Law

- NYC code violations to operate illegal "hotel"

- Your lease and/or Coop / Condo building rules

In general ONLY this is legal in NYC:

- Up to 2 paying guests in YOUR unit

- You need to be present in your unit during hosting (you cant be on vacation during hosting paying guests)

Otherwise you are in violation of

NYC Maintenance Law (hotel code violations)

and/or

Multi dwelling law (3 and more family buildings)

Home-Sharing

Here updated facts

(as of my researches and attending city council meetings):

1) You not a hotel / NO occupancy tax:

- for Home-Sharing.

- Up to 2 paying guests in YOUR unit

- You need to be present in your unit during hosting (you cant be on vacation during hosting paying guests)

2) EVERYTHING else (entire apartments and/or more than 2 guests) is a "hotel", regardless of 1 and 2 fam. houses or big buildings.

The catch is not really the occupancy tax and/or "multiple dwelling law". The real problem are code violations, such as no sprinklers and everything else what would apply for a regular hotel-building in NYC.

As of an already passed bill in 2018, beginning 2019 ALL websites will be forced to release all host information, and the city will start to go after all "illegal hotels" with code violations.