Airbnb loses latest court battle over Santa Monica’s strict rules

Airbnb loses latest court battle over Santa Monica’s strict rules

"Home sharing sites Airbnb and HomeAway will have to verify hosts are properly registered with the City of Santa Monica before booking guests, after a U.S. District Court judge dismissed a legal challenge to local rules. The judge said the city has a right to keep the international websites from facilitating illegal business transactions here."

http://smdp.com/airbnb-loses-latest-court-battle-over-santa-monicas-strict-rules/166918

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Thank you for posting this article.  I was not aware of Air BNB's lawsuite.  Frankly, I agree with the court ruling.  I agree that booking platforms such as Air BNB should not be able to assist people with breaking the law in any city, county or country. 

In my city, La Quinta, CA, the City tries to strike a balance between the hosting community and the residents who live here.  While allowing hosting without the host present, the City requires a local contact that can respond to complaints or problems.  Additionally, the City has contracted with a company that is confirming that a listing is complying with City regulations so the number of illegal listings is reducing.