Denied registration for month to month

Laurel31
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Denied registration for month to month

Hi,

My registratio was denied because I do not live in the residence. I am only renting it on 

a month to month basis, can I specify that? 

Is there a better site to host on for month to month?

What do I do with exisiting reservation (June through Sept)?

Thank you,

Laurel

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Laurel31 You are on a month to month rental agreement but have a reservation for June to September booking?  Do you have permission from the landlord to sublet? If so, I wonder if you could get a letter from the property owner attesting to that arrangement.  I gather you do not have the City registration because of the month to month but you set up your listing prior to getting that registration.  Usually registration is needed for short term rentals because of the occupancy tax, but in your case, you are subletting a long term rental.  If you change your listing to a minimum of a month, you might not need a registration.  Meanwhile it might be best take your listing down or at least snooze it until you get the registration issue sorted out.  Air BNB doesn't check whether a host has met local regulations so you can have a listing but I would imagine there are stiff City fines for having an unregistered rental.  Hope this helps, Linda

Laurel31
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I own the home.

J-W-0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi Laurel,

I'm sorry. I don't have great news. 

For your future reservations, you can keep them until the city tells you to deactivate your listing. Once they do that, you must cancel them.

There are other channels to offer your home like booking.com, VRBO, expedia, but these are more commercial-focused and have only recently started doing home sharing. You can also use sublet.com or you can work with a local airbnb management firm to see if you can relist your property.

Cheers -Jeremy

@J-W-0 Hey Jeremy, can you confirm that once the city sends you a letter to deactivate your listing, you must cancel any future reservations? 

Hi Thi, you have 10 days and then you must cancel all of them. If you do not, you are subject to $1000-5000 in fines.