30 day minimum due to new STR restrictions in my town

Answered!
Leah551
Level 1
Vail, CO

30 day minimum due to new STR restrictions in my town

My town has just banned STRs. I am only allowed to book 30 days at a time.  I have 84 five star reviews and our guests love us and our little country cottage.  Does anyone know if taking only 1 booking for less than 30 days but only 1 in  a 30 day period would be permisable? My little town is going to fine any of us breaking the new code $2500 1st violation, $3500 2nd violation, $5000 3rd violation. 

Thanks for any suggestions, hopefully someone is an attorney. Our local attorneys said they have a policy of not even advising someone as this is a very small community. We have 2 past city council members who have taken this issue and are shutting us all down.

1 Best Answer
Melanie318
Level 10
Interlochen, MI

Call the city and ask them. I have worked in several cities that have restrictions and all of the people I have encountered have been happy to answer questions. I would think they would allow one booking in 30 days, but that is just my opinion. Each city/village will answer the question in a different way. This is something that is happening all over the country. Residents are complaining that they don't want STRs in the residential areas and the city councils are trying to figure out a way to appease both sets of residents. 

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Melanie318
Level 10
Interlochen, MI

Call the city and ask them. I have worked in several cities that have restrictions and all of the people I have encountered have been happy to answer questions. I would think they would allow one booking in 30 days, but that is just my opinion. Each city/village will answer the question in a different way. This is something that is happening all over the country. Residents are complaining that they don't want STRs in the residential areas and the city councils are trying to figure out a way to appease both sets of residents. 

Angela3989
Level 3
Milwaukee, WI

@Leah551  that is a question only your city can answer. Good luck!