5 stars rating reform Proposal

Patrice497
Level 1
Paris, France

5 stars rating reform Proposal

Dear Hosts,

If your last 20 reviews are 5 stars, shouldn't that prove you have perfectly addressed the issues pointed out in your early days?

I find it ridiculous to be penalized for an issue that has already been solved for years.

All these 4.99-star ratings are not making any sense, as they are still not viewed as flawless.

So, we should run a petition to reform this rating system by only considering the last 20 or even 30 reviews in the rating.

If you agree, please react to this post to make this change happen. Together, we can raise the issue and ensure the rating system accurately reflects our current performance.

Best Regards

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I don't agree I think guests and hosts should have access to all reviews and ratings @Patrice497 

I have had solid five star reviews for three years but still show at 4.97 I don't think any guests would care that you are at 4.99 rather than 5 stars. 

Hello Helen,

Thank you for your reply. I didn't suggest erasing past reviews. 🙂

I believe that consistent performance should be rewarded. You amply deserve an impeccable 5-star rating for three years of 5-star reviews in a row, not a 4.7.

Regarding rating perception, I have three identical properties listed. Two are rated 5 stars, and one is rated 4.89. A whopping 85% of the traffic goes to the two 5-star listings. Clearly, the rating matters significantly to guests.

Best Regards

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Rather confusing your first post talks about the difference between 5 star and 4.99 . @Patrice497 

your latest post talks about two five star listings  and one 4.89 that probably gets less bookings and reviews because it's a new listing so will be lower down the search rankings than your other listings . 

quite honestly I don't really care if I am at 4.97 or 5 star . I get the bookings I need at the price I want.

Hello Helen, 

I'm not sure why you're getting confused...

4.99 is the maximum you will get once you have a single sub 5.0 review, even do you only accumulate hundreds of 5-star ratings in a row. I'm highlighting that issue here.

Regarding the three properties examples, it's from my listing, it's not hypothetical; I have the stats: The 4.89 one has been listed at the same time as the 5.0. It's very easy to check it from my listing in two clicks. 

As you said, you don't really care as long as you get the booking, you said it all, Thanks for your contribution anyway.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Patrice497 Slight factual correction. You need about 250 5 star reviews to recover from one 4 star review if you really want to achieve a perfect 5 star rating. The thing is you don't need a perfect 5 star rating and, I honestly believe, it is unhealthy to target this. Not sure if you have stayed in an Airbnb but when you are asked to review a 4 star rating generally means Very Good. Anyone achieving the odd 4 star review should smile and move on rather than submit to Airbnb's mind control (as expressed by a now banned CC contributor in Berlin.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Patrice497 Interestingly, in the UK, we have a short term rental provider called Cottages.com who do just what you are suggesting. They remove all reviews over 12 (or 24) moths old. As such our critical review of a place we stayed informing future guests that the onsite car parking was actually 300m away has been lost. I guess I am saying leave well alone especially as most guests look at the review comments over the minutia of the score.

Hi Mike, Thank you for contributing.

Same as above, my proposal is not about erasing reviews at all...

It's about rewarding hosts that have successfully addressed past issues.

Best Regards!