Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

6 month rental

Rebecca1332
Level 1
Elkhart Lake, WI

6 month rental

I have a friend in the end stages of cancer. She has asked if we would rent our airbnb to her Sister-in-law and husband so she can be close to offer care. We have agreed to do that and have agreed on a price, but I have some questions.

Should we have them book through airbnb for the liablity insurance?

Should we have a rental agreement? Any thoughts on what should be in there?

We typically aren't rented in the winter so this isn't biting into our regular rentals, but I have made it clearthey have to be out by May 15 so we can rent for the summer. 

Any tips would be welcome. Thank you.

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Rebecca1332 

I am in another country with different laws.

Up to 3 months i do Airbnb, for longer i  use a rental agreement

I often have students doing an internship for 1 semester (6 months) and have those typical contracts available. But if you are not familiar with rental agreements, you need to consult somebody who is specialized on the subject and maybe create one for you.

You can also do both:

Book whole time period via Airbnb AND have a rental agreement.

That is what Airbnb advises also.

Please note Airbnb bookings for a "long term stay" have lower percentage Guest Service Costs (in my country approx. 11%) than for "short stay". Payments/payouts are in monthly installments.

If there are no other costs (tourist Tax etc..) the extra costs is not that much.

Do not forget to set a security deposit.

Please read also all information in the Airbnb-Help regarding "long term stay"

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/805/what-are-some-things-i-should-consider-before-hosting-longte...

Best regards,

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rebecca1332  "Should we have them book through airbnb for the liablity insurance?"

What liability insurance? If you are referring to the "million dollar guarantee", it's a joke. Don't be under any illusions that Airbnb will pay you out for damages to your property or a guest not abiding by house rules.

There is no way I would do this booking through Airbnb. Do it privately with a solid lease agreement, first and last month's rent and a security deposit, just as you would for a normal landlord/ tenant arrangement. As it's your friend's sister-in-law and husband, you may not feel you need things like references, or even last month rent, but that's for you to determine. Just keep in mind that just because your friend is someone you would trust with your property, her relatives are an unknown to you.