Advice

Ana24181
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Advice

Hi guys, in recent feedback a guest has said a bbq would be beneficial. I am new to the business so was hoping for some advice on what bbqs are the easiest to maintain, clean, and for others to use, as well as being cost effective. Many thanks Ana

5 Replies 5

@Ana24181  Your garden looks like a nice place to have a BBQ. I can't recommend a specific type or brand; only want to caution that as a guest, I find that the BBQ is invariably the feature hosts or their cleaners are likeliest to forget to clean between guests. I've lost count of how many times I've gotten my stuff prepared to take out to the grill, only to lift the hood and discover that it was full of burned-on food, grease, and rodent feces. 

In the first months of hosting, it's normal to be always looking for ways to add value with amenities, but after you've had to deal with time-consuming changeovers and high-mess guests, you switch to finding ways to make your cleaning routine more efficient. Just one thing to keep in mind.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Ana24181 and welcome to ABB CC from across the lands and seas in Auckland, New Zealand.

You have a delightful rural setting so may I suggest you make one with bricks and on a concrete base so there is less risk of fire spreading.

That way it's also secured down and less likely to be potentially stolen.

Be mindful of your own property security being in a rural setting.

Maybe look at an open fire Pizza type BBQ that can also double as an outdoor fireplace on cooler evenings.

You will need to be specific however about firewood, coal and who pays or provides it.

You may also like to provide details where a Hose is in case of a fire.

Remember to cover all bases with your House Rules.

What year was your home built?

Maybe also include a little about it's history, as it has amazing character to it.

All the best

@Nick @Liv @Anna @Quincy @Lizzie @Stephanie @Helen350 @Mike-And-Helen0 @Yadira22 @Mary996 @Katie @Dale711 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Ana24181 I added a BBQ at the beginning of Corona, and I would also caution you to remember to clean it before guests arrive (or make sure your cleaner does). Nothing grosser than going to cook and finding a filthy grill. 

I would recommend propane or natural gas. It requires the least amount of skill for the guests to use, and there are no hot coals that the guest can cause damage with. People can do A LOT of damage with hot coals, and people tend to underestimate how long they need to cool down before they can be safely disposed. 

A few recommendations (based on my experiences):

Come up with rules and post them in your manual and on or near the grill. My guests have laughed at mine (I tried to make them funny) but they're all based on actual things guests have done. 

First thing: ask guests not to cook things like beer can chicken, brisket, etc. It makes an unholy mess that can take ages to clean up,  and the residue will attract pests. Running the barbeque for a long time also uses up lots of gas. 

Remind them to turn the gas off at the wall or the bottle when they're done. 

Choose a specific place for the grill that's not right against the house. Tell them not to move it. Chain it in place, if needed. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ana24181 

While one guest thinks a bbq is a good idea, another guest wants a refund because the bbq isn't clean enough or the propane tank is empty. If you do add an amenity like this make sure your pricing reflects the upkeep and cleaning. Be explicit about how much propane is provided and/or where the guest can purchase their own. Also, be prepared to have a backup plan if the bbq breaks or dies. Guests are quick to comment on an absent or broken amenity even if they never planned to use it.

I agree - I have had some guests leave "suggestions" but then most of the guests didn't care. Careful not to add things to please a single guest that then create more effort and more problems for you in the long run.

Most guests are great, but there are a few "helpful" hinters who think our role is to be a concierge who custom equips our places for their taste.

IMHO - don't add one unless you get a lot more comments suggesting it. It's not in your listing, so you aren't obligated to supply it.