Aircover and "Original Receipts"

Answered!

Aircover and "Original Receipts"

I had a bunch of items missing/stolen after a guest's stay.  The guest would not admit to it and I believe it's her +1 who did it and she doesn't know what he did while she was out working.  They actually don't live that far away.  I've been told to be careful of local guests...  I called the police and an officer came over and took my statement and asked me to send him a list.  I estimated the loss was worth over $1000.   Side note the guest who booked was actually really nice and she was mad that her +1 would do such a thing, but insisted she doesn't know anything.

I submitted all the forms as requested in airbnb with "Supporting Documents".

After half a month, they said "After careful review of the available information, we determined that we won’t be able to proceed with your Host damage protection reimbursement request at this time."  I showed them a shirt left behind in the area no guests are allowed which matched the damage done to my sheets.  Then some days later "as per our higher team, we can go ahead and continue with this claim"

It's been another 11 days since that email and I finally get a call.  He wouldn't take the email I sent to the police as a police report.  I'm having to send an email to the FOIA office to request police report. 

The airbnb representative also wanted original receipts for the items that are missing.  A lot of those items are things I owned before I started airbnb.   I asked him if my mattress got damaged, is he going to asked me for the original receipt of that as well??  I'm not a professional airbnb person who buys properties and nice furniture just to rent it out.    What about things I purchased with cash? 

I have spent over $1000 now replacing some of my missing items and I purchased cameras and smart video door.  I wish I had done it sooner.  I was worried about guests who would say it's an invasion of privacy.

So a few other noteworthy things: during our call I decided to go through item by item on what would be covered and the "supporting document" I uploaded to airbnb would just show as a grey icon and wouldn't even load.  What good is the "only link you use to access your reimbursement request and submit your documentation" if things on that link go missing after I submit it?

It's a Friday night and I'd rather be Netflix and chill right now but here I am... going to see if I can find "original receipts".   Ranting here helps.  Maybe it'll enlighten another host and encourage them to install security cameras.  Maybe someone will hear my call and help me.  Help...

1 Best Answer

I’m glad to report that aircover is covering at lest half of the replacement expenses incurred since the incidents!  The rest is a worthy lesson.  Once the police report requested through FOIA came through it went much faster!  I was worried and stressed over not having original receipts for items and I’m glad that Airbnb can be reasonable.  Maybe this community helped.  Justice prevails!  

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Athena73

So sorry to hear you've had this experience and had to replace those items out of pocket.

Is the claim still open so you can submit the report once you receive it? Please keep us updated about how it goes.  

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I’m glad to report that aircover is covering at lest half of the replacement expenses incurred since the incidents!  The rest is a worthy lesson.  Once the police report requested through FOIA came through it went much faster!  I was worried and stressed over not having original receipts for items and I’m glad that Airbnb can be reasonable.  Maybe this community helped.  Justice prevails!  

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

So glad to hear there was at least some compensation for the things you had to replace. And thank you for keeping us updated!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Athena73 , sorry to hear about your horrible experience with not only your past guest but also Airbnb support. One thing I like to mention is to please make sure you disclose your security cameras on your listing per Airbnb guidelines. 

Best—

Great advice!  Just updated!  Thank you!